Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peterborough

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Vicente I think was a gamble who shone brightly for a while but I've given up on seeing him as an integral part of the team now. The other Spaniards and Dobbie are starting to look like the players we hoped they would be when they were signed. It's just taken a bit of time.

You have a point but I think Bridge, if we can keep him, and Bruno have at least another season in them, even at the top level should we get there, he'll just have to keep replacing players year on year. Kuz, Bridge and Bruno were inspired signinge. I'm sure Gus will be able to find others like them when required and it'll get easier and easier the more established we become and the fact that we'll soon have a 30k stadium.

Basically I am trying to talk myself into understanding why Gus refuses to sign the nasty big hairy arsed striker that 90% of us want!! He is not a fool so there must be a reason. Patience is undoubtably the key for us fans as long as we keep improving year on year :shrug:
I'm more than happy enjoying Championship football to be honest and if Gus can improve the team year on year and give us a better chance of surviving if we do get promoted, I'll be delighted! My only fear is that Gus might get 'bored' and go elsewhere if we don't get promoted by next season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm more than happy enjoying Championship football to be honest and if Gus can improve the team year on year and give us a better chance of surviving if we do get promoted, I'll be delighted! My only fear is that Gus might get 'bored' and go elsewhere if we don't get promoted by next season.

Spurs and Chelsea come knocking he's gone but given the style of football he likes to play and the things that he has put in place I really do feel he's here for the long haul as long as TB continues to back him. He's three years down the line in a plum job, will he really want to go to some club where he won't have the same input and control and have to start again? I don't think so. There aren't many non big clubs who have our potential. Bloom is more likely to get impatient for the Premier League than Gus imo.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Spurs and Chelsea come knocking he's gone but given the style of football he likes to play and the things that he has put in place I really do feel he's here for the long haul as long as TB continues to back him. He's three years down the line in a plum job, will he really want to go to some club where he won't have the same input and control and have to start again? I don't think so. There aren't many non big clubs who have our potential. Bloom is more likely to get impatient for the Premier League than Gus imo.
Fair point. I hope you're right!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Poyet doesn't refuse to sign a 'big' striker, he signed Vokes and Paynter last season and played them often, even though they are shit. Jay Bothroyd was one player who went elsewhere instead of here in the summer.

Maybe we would look at Barnett, but Peterborough paid a million for him in the summer, he's got one goal this season, so would it be worth the cost to get him? Also note that Peterborough love publically transfer listing players (as much as NSC loves trying to sign them all).

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Poyet doesn't refuse to sign a 'big' striker, he signed Vokes and Paynter last season and played them often, even though they are shit. Jay Bothroyd was one player who went elsewhere instead of here ).

Another good reason for him to be reluctant to sign another

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Enlighten us as to why he's no good please

1. His all round footballing ability is not up to the standard necessary in a Championship team with aspirations of playing in the Premier League.

2. Gus has a similar approach to Brendan Rodgers albeit at a lower level - Rodgers shipped out Carroll 'cos a big lump didn't fit into his idea of how a team should play football (when is he going to score?) - we don't need a big lump on our payroll who can't play football on the ground and was well contained by our defence.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
NSC never ceases to amaze me. He looked absolute pony other than winning a couple of nothing headers to nobody. Let's get Liam Dickinson in, he's over six foot, why not? Yes, we need someone with a bit of height and aerial ability to give us a chance from set pieces or when we're getting balls into the box. But to play in a Gus team they also probably need to be able to pass it, have some technical ability. Barnett ain't that, he's just a unit who can jump higher than Greer.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I think Gus is absolutely determined to go down the slick passing Spanish route and is resisting getting in an old fashioned centre forward. In the long run it may be the best option but it is incredibly frustrating for those of us who would win with any style if the pass the ball into the net style isn't working. If he is trying to instil a style of play that isn't working because the players aren't good enough to make it work, he will keep tinkering and replacing players with similar types to what we have but better skills. Getting into the Premier League this season or maybe even next isn't essential. Gus may just want to make sure when we get there we don't have to splash serious money on players who will still take time to bed in, get there as a robust but skilful side, add a couple of players and we may do better than just survive. Steady improvement is fine and maybe we just need to be more patient, I mean it's not like we're watching rubbish football every week!

stupidly sensible post - take a bow :bowdown:

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
NSC never ceases to amaze me. He looked absolute pony other than winning a couple of nothing headers to nobody. Let's get Liam Dickinson in, he's over six foot, why not? Yes, we need someone with a bit of height and aerial ability to give us a chance from set pieces or when we're getting balls into the box. But to play in a Gus team they also probably need to be able to pass it, have some technical ability. Barnett ain't that, he's just a unit who can jump higher than Greer.
Totally agree. Gus wants the big man to be as technical as the little man. Not sign a Jon Parkin type lump. Heard on the radio earlier Connor Wickham is a target for Sheffield Wednesday.... Now that is a player who could fit in the BHA "way"

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
its hilarious isnt it :lolol:

barnett would be a great asset.

I've only see him in one game but you shouldn't judge anyone on just that - good or bad. All I will say is the three Posh supporters I know don't rate him, think he was a waste of money, and will be delighted if he goes!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Surely the point is that he was available in the summer and if we'd wanted him we'd have signed him then!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
[video]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20347400#asset[/video]

Peterborough United boss Darren Ferguson tells BBC Look East he was unable to fine Gabby Zakuani and Emile Sinclair for going out on Saturday night - but says Tyrone Barnett and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing will not play for the club again.

Apparently Mendez-Laing is going to Portsmouth on loan.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Peterborough United boss Darren Ferguson tells BBC Look East he was unable to fine Gabby Zakuani and Emile Sinclair for going out on Saturday night - but says Tyrone Barnett and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing will not play for the club again.

You would have thought Peterborough would have given Mendez-Laing an option to mutually terminate his contract as the alternative to being loaned out to Pompey.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that against us Barnett looked better than we have had as a target man on loan ie Vokes. Paynter etc but not really convinced his worth over £1m which Posh paid Crawley for him. He won lots of balls in the air but didint do anything with them or direct them to anybody to make him a target for us. Better to have on the bench than Adgestein or Barker but for £1m?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria

Just read the article - what's the problem with them going for a drink on a Saturday night after a game? Seems like they're just looking to find an excuse to ship out a couple of players.

Ferguson himself has done far worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here