Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Osgood

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
The Large One said:
No reports on any of the news agency sites. This isn't a sick wind-up, is it?

cant see that it would be as it originates from a Chelsea fans site.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Very sad news, attended some soccer schools with him and the late Bobby Stokes. He even arranged a trial with Sheff Utd for me and a few others from the school, will always remember him fondly for that. Will be sadly missed.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Too young an age to check out:down:

Football mourns death of Osgood
PETER OSGOOD FACTFILE

Born: 20 Feb 1947

CLUB STATS
Chelsea (1964-74):
289 games, 105 goals
So'ton (1974-78):
126 games, 28 goals
England:
Four games, 0 goals
CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
Trophies:
FA Cup 1970 and 1976, Cup Winners' Cup 1971
International debut:
v Belgium, Feb 1970
Chelsea and Southampton legend Peter Osgood has died at the age of 59.
Osgood collapsed while attending a family funeral service on Wednesday at Slough crematorium before he was taken to Wexham Park Hospital.

The forward made 286 appearances for the Blues and scored 105 goals, helping his side win the 1970 FA Cup and 1971 European Cup Winners' Cup.

He joined the Saints in 1974 and guided the club to victory over Manchester United in the 1976 FA Cup final.

Osgood was also a member of England's 1970 World Cup squad and made four appearances for the national side.

He signed amateur forms for Chelsea in 1964 at the age of 17 before agreeing to a professional contract, scoring twice on his debut against Workington Town in a fifth-round League Cup tie replay.

The crafty forward also scored in every round of the 1970 FA Cup including the replay of the final that the Blues won 2-1 at the expense of Leeds.

The following year Osgood's Chelsea beat Spanish giants Real Madrid to win the European Cup Winners' Cup.

The Windsor-born star also scored for the Blues in the final of the 1972 League Cup final, but his side went down 2-1 to Stoke City.

Osgood came close to joining Stoke after talks with manager Tony Waddington but Southampton boss Lawrie McMenemy persuaded the 27-year-old to go to the south coast after a transfer fee of £275,000 was agreed with the Blues.

He enjoyed more success in the FA Cup as the Saints overcame the might of United 1-0 with a goal from Bobby Stokes.

Osgood tried his luck in the United States with Philadelphia Fury before coming back to Stamford Bridge for a short second spell with Chelsea.

Many were surprised that he appeared only four times for England's senior squad.

His international debut came against Belgium in 1970 before going on to make substitute appearances at the World Cup.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I remember him on the intro to the Big Match on a Sunday Lunchtime, on his knees, in the net after scoring a goal making a gesture like how did that go in - looked like a cheeky chappy.

RIP

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
RIP

news_osgood1.jpg

look at those lovely terraces in the background . . . good days

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
RIP. Did he not score for the saints in our Cup semi in 1976 in which we lost 2-0 as a 3rd division team I might add.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
A sad day for football. He was one of the giants of the game as I grew up.

RIP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here