Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

peter falconio case - more sad news

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting you've had no replies.

I suspect that it is because while everyone is very sad at the death of a good copper well before his time - they're not too sure about Joanne Lees. And they also know they unfortunately can't have a wider discussion on the subject. Eh, mods?

I've read a book on that case. She hasn't always helped herself, and even some of those remarks about DS Banton seem a little inappropriate.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
i still think she done it

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
And I think that's probably the post that gets this thread removed...

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Edward Scissorhands said:
Agree with Stevie Boy.

I am of the same opinion but that is it, an opinion and the only one that actually knows is her.

Lees has had her name blackened by some very nasty, misogynist "journalism". The evidence against her is ... erm ... non-existent. Some journalists took exception to the fact she didn't act like hey expect 'girls' to - she didn't weep inconsolably, she didn't say she couldn't face life without 'her man', and she didn't do any 'exclusives' telling the whole world what a considerate lover Falconio and how he was the rock her life was founded on. She acted, in other words, how the tabloids expect men to act in these situations. Thus, she must be guilty - she's not a proper woman.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I don't think that at any time the press suggested that she had anything to do with the murder, far from it, in fact I am pretty sure that the right man was arrested and convicted. I think the press angle, as so often is the case, was that they tried to dig the dirt on her and try to find out about her relationship with Peter Falconio and her behaviour in the time up to his untimely death.

However, that isn't what the thread was about, it is sad that this "decent cop" lost his battle with cancer, my thoughts go out to his family and colleagues.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
fatbadger said:
Lees has had her name blackened by some very nasty, misogynist "journalism". The evidence against her is ... erm ... non-existent. Some journalists took exception to the fact she didn't act like hey expect 'girls' to - she didn't weep inconsolably, she didn't say she couldn't face life without 'her man', and she didn't do any 'exclusives' telling the whole world what a considerate lover Falconio and how he was the rock her life was founded on. She acted, in other words, how the tabloids expect men to act in these situations. Thus, she must be guilty - she's not a proper woman.

It is a fascinating case, and the debate is there to be had. I think there is more than a grain of truth in what you say - but you leave out a lot too.

People react instinctively to what they hear, and some of what she did is odd. Not just to journalists, to anyone. Like not calling any family, his or hers, for days after to tell them what had happened. Like not doing what the police (forget the press) wanted her to do and speak about the murder as soon as she was able - specifically to try and nail the killer. You'd have thought she would have wanted that.

There are other aspects, like the other bloke she had been seeing, which didn't paint her in a good light, but as you say have no bearing on the case. But then again, a lot of the evidence used to blacken Murdoch's name was at best circumstantial. He was an unpleasant character, but there was never a motive for murder proved.

But Gully is right. Maybe any further discussion should be on another thread.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think what we can deduce here is that everyone deals with grief in different ways, I can remember when my grandad died how stoical my nan was, I had expected her to be wailing at the graveside as we buried him, but she wasn't. I have no doubt that both her and Joanne Lees were mourning in their own way, however I am sure in my nans' case that she loved my grandad and didn't feel the need to show her emotions in public.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
fatbadger said:

And lots of people remembered the "Dingoes Ate My Baby" case, and the Tracy Andrews road range case, put two and two together to make about 7.

I can't imagine what sort of horror she's been through -- all undeserved. And I don't just say that because I think she now works for my mum.

Chicken adds new twist to Falconio case

April 11, 2006 - 6:49PM

Potential new evidence has emerged in the Falconio murder case, with claims convicted murderer Bradley John Murdoch is allergic to chicken.

The Bulletin says the former truck driver and drug courier refused to be served chicken in his holding cell during his trial over the murder of British backpacker Peter Falconio.

Murdoch also has a standing medical certificate at Darwin's Berrimah jail that says he must never be served chicken with meals, the magazine says.

If true, the revelations could cast doubt on crucial evidence Murdoch gave during his eight-week trial over the murder of 28-year-old Mr Falconio.

A smear of Murdoch's blood was found on the T-shirt belonging to Joanne Lees, Mr Falconio's girlfriend.

Murdoch's lawyers told the court their client might have cut a finger and left a small drop of blood on a seat or door at a Red Rooster restaurant, which then transferred to Ms Lees.

Ms Lees told the court that she and Mr Falconio had visited a Red Rooster shop in Alice Springs before they set out north along the Stuart Highway to Darwin on July 14, 2001.

Murdoch testified he too visited Red Rooster in the town on that same day, and he bought a barbecue chicken for the long drive north west to Broome, and some chicken nuggets for his pet dog, Jack.

He said he didn't know how his blood got on Ms Lees's clothing but denied murdering Mr Falconio and attempting to abduct Ms Lees.

Later that night, Mr Falconio was shot beside the Stuart Highway in the Northern Territory outback after the couple stopped for a stranger. Mr Falconio's body has never been found.

In December, Murdoch was found guilty of the murder, and assaulting and depriving Ms Lees of her liberty. He was sentenced to at least 28 years' jail.

He is appealing his conviction and sentence, and a three-day hearing has been set down for September.

© 2006 AAP

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
I have to be honest and say that i personally think Joanne Lees knows a lot more than she ever let on - whether she did it or not we will never know. if she did then an innocent man is currently serving time but of course a guilty man could well be serving time for the murder of Peter Falconio. I'm afraid its something you or me will never really know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here