Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Crouch

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
blockhseagull said:
I suppose it all depends on Owen's injury and how bold sven is reference abandoning his 4-4-2

If he sticks to 4- 4-2, Crouch will start but if he elects to play either Cole or Gerrard behind a fit Owen then Crouch will probably find himself on the bench

I doubt he will abandon his 442 even if Owen is still injured we may see Crouch - Walcott upfront in the first game.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
DAMANCLAY said:
I doubt he will abandon his 442 even if Owen is still injured we may see Crouch - Walcott upfront in the first game.

Really can't see him starting Walcott... even Owen is injured he will play Cole off Crouch, hinted as much at press conference yesterday.... think also thats why he picked Downing as cover if he moves Cole

For me Joe Cole could be the difference between us being also rans or actually giving it a real go..... with Rooney out he is the only established player who actually runs at defenders and makes things happen

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
blockhseagull said:
Really can't see him starting Walcott... even Owen is injured he will play Cole off Crouch, hinted as much at press conference yesterday.... think also thats why he picked Downing as cover if he moves Cole
For me Joe Cole could be the difference between us being also rans or actually giving it a real go..... with Rooney out he is the only established player who actually runs at defenders and makes things happen

If thats the case I dont see the point of talking Walcott and not dropping Hargreaves for Defoe/Bent/Kazim-Richards.
If your gonna take him as one of 4 strikers and 2 are injured then he might aswell start.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
DAMANCLAY said:
If thats the case I dont see the point of talking Walcott and not dropping Hargreaves for Defoe/Bent/Kazim-Richards.
If your gonna take him as one of 4 strikers and 2 are injured then he might aswell start.

Well he has taken him purely as an impact player...use him off the bench when required and hope his pace causes defenders problems, thats the only way i personally see him as being effective...from the start i doubt he will have the same effect

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
blockhseagull said:
Well he has taken him purely as an impact player...use him off the bench when required and hope his pace causes defenders problems, thats the only way i personally see him as being effective...from the start i doubt he will have the same effect

Yeah, i see where your coming from I spose at his age having not played alot of football recentley having him on the pitch for 90 mins is a bit far. I think the same for Crouch though he is an impact player and he will lose effectiveness if played from the start.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Thought this deserved another airing

Attachments

• lpool.jpg
    lpool.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 100

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
DAMANCLAY said:
Yeah, i see where your coming from I spose at his age having not played alot of football recentley having him on the pitch for 90 mins is a bit far. I think the same for Crouch though he is an impact player and he will lose effectiveness if played from the start.

Depends on who we play and who the ref is...... Crouch has had problems a couple of times with some continental refs who seem to penialise him evertime he jumps for a ball with a defender

Little Rich

Mar 31, 2006
Icy Gull said:
Wisely, they chose not to buy back an injury prone possible has been. Liverpool don't often spend big money on Kitson type players and I think Crouch has proved his worth lately with Liverpool.

Crouch is a better bet, by some margin even if it's just for his height, than very average non international standard players like Defoe and Bent.

Owen Stats for the season;
Goals: 7
Shots on goal: 13
Shots/goal: 1.86
Minutes per goal: 133mins
Avg goals/game: 0.64

Crouch
Goals: 8
Shots on goal: 42
Shots/goal: 5.25
Minutes per goal: 275mins
Avg goals/game: 0.25

And thats why Crouch isn't world class, I'm sure Liverpool made the right choice

Crouch or Owen

hmmm....

Even a half fit Owen is much better then Crouch

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Crouch is the first name on my teamsheet for England.Foreign defenders are scared shitless of him,what they don't know is he can play a bit too.:thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Little Rich said:
Owen Stats for the season;
Goals: 7
Shots on goal: 13
Shots/goal: 1.86
Minutes per goal: 133mins
Avg goals/game: 0.64

Crouch
Goals: 8
Shots on goal: 42
Shots/goal: 5.25
Minutes per goal: 275mins
Avg goals/game: 0.25

And thats why Crouch isn't world class, I'm sure Liverpool made the right choice

Crouch or Owen

hmmm....

Even a half fit Owen is much better then Crouch

Got the assists to hand and the games played? How many games has Owen played? Not saying a fully fit Owen isn't a great player but that he is getting injured more and more often and would have been close on useless to Liverpool given his lack of games.

Given the remarkable turnaround of Liverpool I reckon Benitez is more qualified to make assumptions than you or I and he is the one who decided against bringing owen back. Wise enough to bring back Fowler though :clap2:

Last edited:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
The four fit strikers I would have taken are.

Harewood. Fantastic. Has learnt dramtcally over the last season. More than likley to to Sheringham being a role model.

Zamora. Please read above. He is a natural foil to Harewood, and I belive he is the new Heskey. His support play, albeit from the armchair looks as good as anyones.

Fowler. As fit as he has ever been, and now hungry. would play with either of the two players already mentioned.

Crouch. God knows why. I cannot for the life of me tell you why I would choose him. But he can do that something else that many players can't.

I now await to be flamed! :clap2:

Crouch is a shoe-in for the squad.

Opposing defenders cannot possibly deal with him in the area for crosses, and he's going to get goals that will win us a game here and there.

I don't care what he looks like or plays like with his feet, he's a weapon that the enemy will not have an answer for, and that's good enough reason to take him to Germany.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Crouch is the third best english striker - FACT

Defoe, Bent, Vassell - also rans
If Rooney and Owen (who are first class) are out, Crouch and a 5 man midfield are our best option.

And for those who aren't too bright (and we seem to have a few on here !), he is not great in the air, it's on the ground that he does the business - hence the 5 man midfield. :clap2:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here