Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pete Doherty arrested

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Theatre of Trees said:
Incorrect. Doherty has had help, he has just refused it or walked away from it. At the end of the day he has a brain and he has will power of his own that he can use to challenge his addiction. If he wants to hang around with an entourage that actively encourages his addiction that is his affair. I don't go for this bullshit that he is being led astray or it is a cry for help. Hed is an adult he has made his decision to lead his life in a certain way and therefore he must take the consequences. This is the problem with society today, nobody is willing to take the consequences it always has to be somebody elses fault.

Absolutely, people always wonder why people close to someone like Doherty can't do something. Well, here's why - because the self indulgent, lost-in-rock-roll, selfish little twat is intent on ending his life slowly but surely. When someone is that committed to doing it, there's nothing that can be done.

Personally, I don't find it sad. Just boring.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Tom Hark said:

There just seems to be nobody there to at least help pull the poor lad back from the brink.

It's just very sad.

Wrong.

He has countless people try and help him, in particular bandmate and best friend Carl Barat who has put up with a ridiculous amount of shit from Pete without ever doing anything but support his friend and plead with him to sort himself out.

Doherty is his own man and you cannot blame his addiction on those close to him who have done everything in their power to clean him up.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The Libertines did actually pay for a couple of attempts at rehab as well.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Theatre of Trees said:
Incorrect. Doherty has had help, he has just refused it or walked away from it. At the end of the day he has a brain and he has will power of his own that he can use to challenge his addiction. If he wants to hang around with an entourage that actively encourages his addiction that is his affair. I don't go for this bullshit that he is being led astray or it is a cry for help. Hed is an adult he has made his decision to lead his life in a certain way and therefore he must take the consequences. This is the problem with society today, nobody is willing to take the consequences it always has to be somebody elses fault.

OK, I'll start by saying that I think that both The Libertines and Babyshambles are vastly over-rated glorified pub bands, and that Pete Doherty, in my opinion, is not a thwarted genius, but simply a famous junkie that the tabloids can simultaneously pity and exploit. He as far from Sid Vicious (for example) as f***ing Chumbawumba. Whilst he's a bit talented, he is musically not important to what is happening today.

But I absolutely disagree with this quote. This is obviously not a cry for help, and I haven't heard him say that he's being led astray. Yes he's an adult and has to look after himself, but his addiction means that he is entirely unable to make the decision (i.e whether to take drugs or not) conciously. Of course it is his fault and noone elses. Of course the 'entourage' that he hangs around with encourage the heroin abuse and magnify the problem. He is, regardless of talent, now a major public figure (much like Jade f***ing Goody!). He is bound to be cavorting round trendy Nathan Barley Islington bars with Kate Moss - I mean, who wouldn't? But to claim that he is placing the blame for his problems on to other people, and therefore to deny him sympathy, is to miss the point entirely.

In my very humble opinion (not having met the bloke) he is primarily a drug addict, and secondarily a victim of media hype and the associated socal problems, which only serve to exacerbate the chemical and lifestyle dependancy on drugs.

I don't mean to preach, and I'm no f***ing expert, but I reckon the bloke needs help, and shouldn't be denied sympathy simply because he's 'cool' and is shagging a supermodel. I certainly wish him all the best.

But his music is f***ing PONY.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here