Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pet deaths

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
i remember when we had our cat put down, he had lukemia and he was the sweetest cat ever i still remember coming home from school one day and asking my mum were the cat was and when she said he had to be put down i cried my eyes out

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
lost our dog last year after her companion had died 2 years previously. She was 15. I stayed awake with her the last night. She knew what was happening and neither of us closed our eyes.

Waited 9 months before getting another dog then got 2 so they have a companion - we wanted to be sure that we were prepared to commit again. Couldn't be happier but still miss the old dogs

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
Our cat died in May. He was 13. After 2 trips to the vet & various tests we decided it would be best to have him put down to end his suffering but he died before we took him. It was a relief in a way that we didn't have to finally make the decision as he did it for us. Still miss him dreadfully & I've got tears rolling down my cheeks as I write this. They're only animals but they dont half rip your heart in two when they die. :(

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Crikey, reading all these tales it's like having Rolf Harris in your flat and talking you through an old episode of Animal Hospital! People who have been that close to their pets should feel so proud and humbled by it. The hours that I spent walking my beautiful lab and the image of him wagging his tale and desperate to see me when I came after work will live with me forever, as will waking up at 4am to my sadistic ginger tom dropping a live rabbit on my chest at least once a week.
Raise a toast my friends to these lovely creatures who allow us to spend precious time with them and just feel sorry for those people who aren't dog or cat(or rat or guniea pig!) people.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Had my lurcher put down three weeks ago. My first dog after being prevented from having a dog through my childhood. We got her before my kids were born, by about 9 months for my first child, and had her 15 years. She was at least 16 when she went and looked well and bright other than she didn't know what her back legs were doing. Feedback from the nerves had gone.

Heartreaking coming to the decision to put her down but she kept collapsing and looked really helpless when lying there on the floor. It got to the stage where she had to be helped up and to walk by putting a sling beneath her; no pain but no dignity either.

I really struggled with the whole process, made worse by my kids. However, after putting her down and getting over the initial grief its eased down. Knowing that it was the right thing to do has helped massively - there's no guilt there. If it was a choice due to incontinence or similar it would be a much different experience/feeling.

The biggest problem I had was related to the passing of time. 15 years ago seems like yesterday but I've gone from 27 to 42 and I am truly shocked that with that time added on I'll be nearing 60 and my first child will be older than I was when he was born.

Bloody depressing that is.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
This is such a heartening thread.

Over the years we have lost a number of pets; my gorgeous dog Lucky had to be put to sleep after fifteen wonderful years; our ginger tom after eighteen; as well as losing other cats in their mid-teens. After the years of happiness and love comes an element of emotional pain when we lose them - but there is still a space in our hearts for another pet.

Can I make a plea that animal lovers should adopt rather than buy from breeders, and also to think about using and supporting local charities if possible. Among those charities are:

for dogs: Sussex Pet Rescue - Home Page
for cats: Cat Rescue, Cat Adoption and Cat Rehoming in Brighton, Sussex, East Sussex, West Sussex and Surrey

Last edited:

Electrik Blue

Jun 12, 2007
Marc so sorry to her of your loss, it is always a hard decision to make and never gets any easier, no matter how many times you have to do it. But it is the kindest act you can do for an animal, avoiding any suffering, unlike the way we make people suffer, thoughts are with you, it will get better, believe me

Oct 2, 2008
Today I had my dog put down due to old age. She was a 13 year old Labrador ( sorry if spelt wrong ). Had her for 13 years and I managed to cope with it well but still gutted at the same time. Other members in my family have struggled with they're emotions and feel like it's a big hole
in the family gone. How do you cope with losing pets if you have has they for so long?

I know exactly what you are going through. Our family labrador was put down around the same age. It hurt like hell and the evening it happened I just could`nt stop crying. But you do get over it. Getting another dog helps a lot if you had that in mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here