Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Perry's Attack on Lib Dem Leaflet

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
El Dude Brother said:
Two thoughts:

(i) Does this mean that should the National Park come into existence and NOT include the coach park, the AONB outside the Park will be abolished (i.e. the stadium site will then not include any land enjoying special protection)?

(ii) If the National Park includes the coach park site is there any legal right to appeal? Sounds like we'd have a good case if planning rules have not been followed.
(i) Correct.
(ii) As Martin Perry has indicated, AONB status enjoys pretty much the same level of protection as National Park status, so the arguments would be about the same. Because no announcement has been made on the National Park, Prescott's announcement on the stadium takes precedence.

The way I read it, Lewes DC want to delay the stadium decision indefinitely in order to try and get the boundary moved in their favour and the decision on the NP taken to that effect.

Bonkers, innit?

Last edited:

El Dude Brother said:
Two thoughts:

(i) Does this mean that should the National Park come into existence and NOT include the coach park, the AONB outside the Park will be abolished (i.e. the stadium site will then not include any land enjoying special protection)?

(ii) If the National Park includes the coach park site is there any legal right to appeal? Sounds like we'd have a good case if planning rules have not been followed.
(i) Correct.

(ii) The curious thing is that when the stadium and coach park ARE built, the Albion will have delivered an identifiable physical marker on the ground that would enable a National Park boundary to coincide with the local authority boundary. In other words, the stadium would be the one thing that would actually allow the boundary guidelines to be followed.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
An obvious question. When does a final decision about the National Park get made? Thought I read that it might not be for some time.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
LDC have been very sneaky and underhanded in getting the draft boundary redrawn. The decision on the National Park may not be announced for another 20 years so they knew it would be a delaying tactic if all else failed. Why did they only ask for a strip of land to come under special status which partially covers the proposed coach park and not all of it ? As LDC are promoting (mis-representing) Falmer and the South Downs with their photos , perhaps some NSCers with "local" knowledge can indicate the dogging sites which might embarrass the council especially if they are turning a blind eye to this hobby/activity.

Last edited:

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
seagullsovergrimsby said:
As LDC are promoting (mis-representing) Falmer and the South Downs with their photos , perhaps some NSCers with "local" knowledge can indicate the dogging sites which might embarrass the council especially if they are turning a blind eye to this hobby/activity.

How would we know where they are?:eek:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Its all very well this, but at the end of the day you guys are preaching to the converted.

We all know that LDC are doing their level; best to discredit us and Ed is constantly banging on ( in a good way of course) how their entire planning and legal department are all wrong and we are right.

I really do think we ought to stop beating ourselves about something we have no control over. If LDC want to make this sort of claim and we get all agitated, then in the overall passage of time it doesnt matter.

the main thing is the court case coming up...everything else is just peripheral chatter and noise

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dies Irae said:
Its all very well this, but at the end of the day you guys are preaching to the converted.

We all know that LDC are doing their level; best to discredit us and Ed is constantly banging on ( in a good way of course) how their entire planning and legal department are all wrong and we are right.

I really do think we ought to stop beating ourselves about something we have no control over. If LDC want to make this sort of claim and we get all agitated, then in the overall passage of time it doesnt matter.

the main thing is the court case coming up...everything else is just peripheral chatter and noise
Largely I agree. However, there was one over-riding reason why Martin Perry timed it to issue this damning statement when he did. Whether the people of Ringmer and Firle get to read it or not is another matter.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
do you seriously believe some bloke living in Firle or Selmeston or Ringmer or gives two monkeys about the tecnical issues in a planning application involving a football stadium 10 miles away?

Come on Alan

Real world time.

Yes ok, it may affect his council tax, but he is more interested in the A27 bypass, prices of diesel, lit footpaths, being able to hunt foxes killing his ducks...you know

We can become far too anal thinking the whole world gives a monkeys about Falmer, when it is a very locallised issue

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dies Irae said:
do you seriously believe some bloke living in Firle or Selmeston or Ringmer or gives two monkeys about the tecnical issues in a planning application involving a football stadium 10 miles away?
More than you think, but less than we would like to think. It's not the technical issues which he was trying to highlight - it was the insinuation, and a pretty strong one, that the Lib Dems in Lewes are a bunch of liars, deceivers and manipulators.

Dies Irae said:
Yes ok, it may affect his council tax, but he is more interested in the A27 bypass, prices of diesel, lit footpaths, being able to hunt foxes killing his ducks...you know

We can become far too anal thinking the whole world gives a monkeys about Falmer, when it is a very locallised issue
Maybe, but, assuming Martin Perry was addressing the people of Ringmer, he know that Ed Bassford knows more about all of these issues than the rest of us put together. MP was simply reminding them of this outstanding candidate.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
...that is fair enough, you have your opinion, however i play cricket every saturday in east sussex against the likes of firle, selmeston and of course in lewes and that is not what people tell me.

Most are totally oblivious to what is going on and only get anecdotal evidence, after all, they are not all Brighton supporters are they?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Large One said:
Largely I agree. However, there was one over-riding reason why Martin Perry timed it to issue this damning statement when he did. Whether the people of Ringmer and Firle get to read it or not is another matter.

Where has it actually been published so that they will see it? The initial post doesn't appear to make this clear.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think the point as, its ok to print that on the seagulls website, but has it appeared anywhere else?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Lawro's Lip said:
How would we know where they are?:eek:
Nor*** B***r is the sort of person who would know , allegedly. I can just picture it now , salivating and perspiring as he peers through a steamy car window.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here