Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People who call Brighton "B-town"

I'm pretty sure that we used uni when I was at, er, uni in the late 70s.
Late 70s? Could be. But not much earlier than that, I think. I don't remember it being used in the late sixties or early seventies, when I was at university.

I think it might be a word imported from Oz. It has a certain Strineness about it.

No but I sometimes go for a Ruby.
I'd date "Ruby" as 1980s - way later than Ruby Murray's actual period of fame. An example of the new generation of fake-cockneyisms that came along with Thatcher's deregulation of the City of London and the fashion among the newly rich city workers to portray themselves as barrow boys made good.

Another one, of this time, was "Bettino", meaning taxi - from Bettino Craxi, Italian prime minister, 1983-87.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I often went for a ruby at uni.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
f***ing NEWBIES.

Someone with Brighton Heritage would NEVER refer to it as B-Town.

SAKE.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Late 70s? Could be. But not much earlier than that, I think. I don't remember it being used in the late sixties or early seventies, when I was at university.

I think it might be a word imported from Oz. It has a certain Strineness about it.

I think it came in during the late 80's when Neighbours and Home & Away gained massive popularity on TV. I fuckin hate the word.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
What's worse is people abbrieviating Littlehampton to L.A!

Talk about trying to shine up a turd, There even used to be a local can company called L.A taxis :facepalm:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Having seen the skateboarding link above, the guy I was talking about might have been in a basketball context so maybe it's more those kind of groups?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I thought that 'uni' only became prevalent in British vernacular in the late 80s due to the popularity of Neighbours, and a specific story line of Mike spending less time with Scott, Charlene and Jane because he hanging out with his 'uni' mates all the time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've been known to use Winch, in TEXTS. Not sure I've ever SAID it, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here