Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People who actually like Brussels sprouts

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A much maligned vegetable, I fear, mainly because most people cook them to death.

I am prepared to put my head above the parapet and say proudly I LIKE SPROUTS!

Am I the only one? ???

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I love them too, but they must be steamed or lightly boiled...as long as they still have plenty of bite and flavour they are wonderful!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I will eat them if they are on my plate, just as long as they aren't total mush. However I would never choose to cook them myself.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I love sprouts, lightly cooked and finished off with some butter, ginger and garlic.

They're also the only green vegetable my 5-year-old son will willingly eat, so they score highly for that too.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It was school dinners when they were boiled to death that did it for me, took many years to realise there is very little bad food but there are a hell of a lot of bad cooks.

My version would be steamed (and a steamer is a brilliant way of cooking vegtables incidentally) and served with crispy pancetta and roasted pine kernals. The sprouts are firm and coated with a lovely mouthfeel of bacon fat... :drool:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm onboard Edna ! just so long as they are not boiled to mush or, as is often the case at works xmas do's, virtually raw. I swear that at one do they were still growing !

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Steaming them is the way forward, though I have seen a chef on TV recently chopping them up, separating the leaves like you would do with cabbage, and stir frying with a bit of garlic and pancetta or bacon.

Now that sounds good :drool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here