Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People no longer attending Withdean/Albion games.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Over the past week or so I have spoken to 5 people who used to go to the Albion in the Goldstone days, didnt go to Gillingham and have not gone to Withdean, but are looking forward to resuming their support at Falmer.

These people are from various backgrounds from a doctor to a plumber and the reason they stopped going was not money, they just became tired with it.

On the train this morning, I was chatting to a bloke who used to take his son to teh goldstone, but when it all went tits up, he started going to Tottenham and bought him and his son a ST.

Now we obviously have lost many fans over the years, but I wonder what the reaction of people will be to someone sat next to them at Falmer who had not bothered to support us through the bad days?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Personally I would welcome them with open arms. We need the likes of them, and we need their money.

I'm not interested in limiting access to Falmer to martyrs.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
No, only people who've regularly gone to the Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean should be allowed to go. It's just a shame the stadium will look so empty with just the 1,500 true fans inside

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Now we obviously have lost many fans over the years, but I wonder what the reaction of people will be to someone sat next to them at Falmer who had not bothered to support us through the bad days?

I'm sure they won't have a problem. Surely nobody is narrow minded enough to want to sit with 2000 other die hards rattling around in Falmer while the club dies on its arse.

On a personal note, I saw plenty of games at the Goldstone, every one we played at the Priestfield, the first season and a half at Withdean and then lost interest. Been twice in two seasons now. To be honest I won't suddenly become a regular when Falmer arrives either. You get out of the routine a bit and find plenty of other things to do. Theres a lot of work to do for the club to get the average gate up to the 12k mark.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Good question, Dave.

I wouldn't criticise anyone for not coming to Gillingham or Withdean (although they did miss some exciting times five or six years ago). Should we get some measure of success on the back of being at Falmer, I will have a sense that all the crap that went before in the preceeding decade and a half was all worthwhile. For me, the greater the hurt in times of heartache, the greater the joy in times of success - something those who didn't come along will not experience.

I think it's more a case of having some sense of pride in myself (something I need not share with anyone, especially with those whom we did lose by the wayside) that I did last the course, that I did brave the weather, I did do the marches and the petitions and the fund-raising, and that I can say to myself with satisfaction 'I was there'.

Above and beyond that, I'm not overly bothered.

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
it's completely natural for more people to support bigger clubs and undoubtedly with falmer, brighton & hove albion fc is going to be 'bigger'. it's something we are all looking forward to. is it not, dave?

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We don't go anymore - and I'd really be dissapointed with anyone who didn't understand our reasons for not going. I'd like to think many of us have been in our position. I do despair some people who believe they are better than others as they've been there through thick and thin. I'm pleased for their dedication, but it doesn't promote them any higher than anyone else in my eyes....very little in life makes anyone better than anyone else..

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
it's completely natural for more people to support bigger clubs and undoubtedly with falmer, brighton & hove albion fc is going to be 'bigger'. it's something we are all looking forward to. is it not, dave?

absolutely.

It did bug me a tad at West ham last year with people behind me constantly asking "who is that" and " where is so and so" and complaining about the singing and standing up! who obviously hadn't been for yonks, if ever and I just wondered if that would spoil people's enjoyment of something we have worked so hard to get when they will come along when all is done and dusted.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would draw a giant cock on the back of their seat, and act childishly and immaturely during every half time interval.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I would draw a giant cock on the back of their seat, and act childishly and immaturely during every half time interval.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

urbanjim

Oct 27, 2005
Dublin
How will we recognise these people who haven't been for years? Will we start getting a special hand stamp for attending Withdean?

I'll be just pleased that there'll be a club and a stadium for everyone to enjoy.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Living in the midlands with no family left in sussex I must admit that I have only ever seen 2 games at Withdean. Travel aside - just getting a ticket is grief if you aren't local and dont want to sit with the away fans.
I have, however seen an average 10 games a season away and if Falmer is more fan friendly I will look forward to seeing some matches there

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I wouldnt give a shit as long as they sing + cheer. It will just be like the first 2 seasons at Withdean when surrounded by Gillingham virgins. You soon work out who you can have a decent chat with about "days gone by" . In a few years time hopefully they will be as passionate as the rest of us + earnt their wings

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Know a few lapsed Albion followers in Crawley, got three neighbours who have not gone to Albion games since the Goldstone closed, but all three have said they may go to games when Falmer opens. They admitted it was the cost and that they got tired, but are looking forward to Falmer and very likely to go to games.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
I wouldnt give a shit as long as they sing + cheer. It will just be like the first 2 seasons at Withdean when surrounded by Gillingham virgins. You soon work out who you can have a decent chat with about "days gone by" . In a few years time hopefully they will be as passionate as the rest of us + earnt their wings

Have to agree there.

Aiming to bring my children up as Brighton Fans ..............but we live in an Arsenal traditional area, Leyton 20 mins away by bus, Tottenham 15 mins away by train and West Ham only 20 mins away by tube.

So it will be difficult.

And they will support Sussex!

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
There is another logic...

I bumped into two lapsed, diehard Albion fans in the street a month or so ago. They both said they didn't like Withdean blah blah blah but would return when Falmer is built.

No-one 'likes' Withdean but if everyone had that attitude we wouldn't have a club to support.

Personally, I would rather sit around fans that have been around through the whole mess of Gillingham etc. and seen out the long years at Withdean.

That's not to say I don't want new fans - of course I do - it's just that I'm not too keen on sitting next to people like that clueless Fast Show character.

If I believe in a cause, I tend to stick with it, not desert it at the first opportunity. That doesn't make me better than anyone else, it's just the way I feel.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why would you not go to Withdean if the Albion were playing well and against decent opposition (as we have done quite often over the last few years) and yet say you'd go to Falmer when it opens?
I think these people may go just the once but if they haven't been arsed to go for 10 years I can't see them going regularly unless we become an upper Championship side at Falmer.

It's like people who are going to give up smoking next week, the intention is good but it won't happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here