Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Penalty taking - Barnes still up for it.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
How about this one from Di Natale at the weekend, 87th min to win the game.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Why has Barnes dispensed with the ' one step, bang, top left hand corner ' style of penalty. His effort at Leicester was awful. Straight run up, then opening up his body to try and steer it into the bottom corner. Not only did Kaspar read it, so did 25,000 in the crowd. I hate this type of pen. It always gives the keeper every chance.
Power and placement ( e.g Lambert )works every time. At least with CMS, if it is blasted down the middle, you have got a chance of it coming back off the keeper or crossbar. Plus the keeper usually has to commit himself, left or right.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
"I like to know who my opponents' penalty taker is before a match. I always look at which side he put his last one and whether he favours that side or likes to vary it, in which case it becomes a guessing game." (Crossley)

An average penalty taker would be expected to score 72% of the time.

How to...save a penalty | Sport | The Observer

A right footer would prefer to shoot to the keeper's right. The keeper would be best diving the other way like Kaspar did*. Le Tissier scored 47 out of 48 for Southampton. (*Double bluff. Barnsey outwitted as expected.)

Gus should make sure the penalty taking is scientific. Not just blasting it down the middle like Macca.

"You have to remember that the pressure is on the penalty taker, rather than you. You can try and add to that pressure by delaying the penalty as long as possible. I'm not sure how well it works because you do still need to have a bit of luck." (Crossley)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here