Whoever Dave from Hove was on the radio tonight , I salute you :lolol::lolol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Twitter from fans of all clubs on Sky I would say 95% saying it's a joke

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I am completely lost on the rules now and don’t know what is or isn’t a foul anymore, let alone a penaltyI Therefore I can’t vote!
That's an easy one. Only two things are necessary for it to be a penalty.

1. A forward and a defender touch.
2. The forward screams in anguish and rolls about on the floor, having suffered a possibly fatal but short-term injury.

That's all. (Unless it's Burnley of course. At least you get them as well as suffer them.)

One of two things, though preferably both, to stop this nonsense which is ruining the game. One is that the laws ought to be clarified to confirm that a marginal touch between two players is not automatically a foul to the forward.

The other is that referees ought to be told that a player who is lying on the floor screaming in agony is not necessarily actually dying. It is possible that he is pretending. Very few referees have any idea that players cheat - they think every single player is absolutely honest, and that if a player is on the floor screaming - even if it's for the tenth time that game - he is genuinely suffering from his tenth agony-inducing career-threatening injury of the game. They must think physios truly have a magic sponge.

I would take referees to a rugby game to show them just how much pain a man can take before he creams in agony. A slight push in the shoulder doesn't do it. (I would also take all the players to a rugby game just to see what an actual man who plays sport, looks like and acts like. (And yes, a women's rugby match would do for showing the players how to behave more like men. As would an under-8 girls' rugby match, for that matter. Footballers, currently, as a group, are pathetic.)

PS - no penalty. Most of them aren't. 50 penalties given this season (none to Burnley) and I wouldn't have given more than 10 of them. Your one today was a handball, though. That's one of the ten.)

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
VAR is not being correctly at all. The commentators hit the nail on the head that it wasn’t clear and obvious. If you have to look at a decision for longer than 1 minute to decide, then I would argue it’s not clear and obvious and the referees decision should stand.

Not too bothered though as we would have conceded from the resulting free kick anyway.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Would be happy having VAR if it was used occasionally to correct very obvious refeering errors (eg handball on the line missed by the officials). But this really is an absolute pile of dog sh*t. Also very frustrating being in the stadium, waiting at least 2 mins, no replays of the incident, and then ref giving the pen before the decision was even shown on the big screen. No respect whatsoever for the fans in the ground.

To cap it all, only FOUR minutes added time. The VAR review must have taken 2-3 mins and there were a handful of subs. Where do they get 4 mins from? They are just plucking numbers out of thin air.

The ***** that run in the game can't even time matches properly.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
PGMOL statement on the Southampton penalty incident

"In the 77th minute of Brighton vs. Southampton, referee David Coote awarded a free-kick just outside the penalty area for a foul by Solly March on Kyle Walker-Peters.

"The VAR checked the incident and advised the referee that the foul given had occurred inside the area and the decision should be changed to a penalty.

"The Referee Review Area was not used by the referee as this was a factual decision."

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
No pen, but we've got to stop blaming VAR for terrible results. We would of lost that game anyway yesterday without a bad decision from VAR because we don't kill games off. Another worrying second half performance, what's Potter saying at HT that's demotivating the players? And March is making a habit of rash, clumsy tackles in dangerous areas.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Doesn't really matter Ward Prowse would have scored the free kick The delay and debate over the decision is another nail on the coffin of football from the grim reaper that is var.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
PGMOL statement on the Southampton penalty incident

"In the 77th minute of Brighton vs. Southampton, referee David Coote awarded a free-kick just outside the penalty area for a foul by Solly March on Kyle Walker-Peters.

"The VAR checked the incident and advised the referee that the foul given had occurred inside the area and the decision should be changed to a penalty.

"The Referee Review Area was not used by the referee as this was a factual decision."

what the hell is their definition of "factual decision" when the world is saying its wrong? seems to me one thing to improve is compulsory referee review.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The guy doing the sport news for BBC 5Live has got it right.

‘VAR won Southampton the match’
‘The foul needs to be inside the box’ (in response to S’ampton manager insisting it was a foul’.)

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Penalty? No.
1..March tackled outside the box. Although in this crazy season it seems that if you can fall down mostly inside tbe box you win tne penalty, as we saw last week.
2... it was shoulder to shoulder. As I have known the game that was allowed, but who knows what referees are told these days?
Anyway it is true that March should have been more careful. If the man had got past him there was a chance they would score but a penalty is an almost certainly.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
March tackled from the wrong side should have let the defender cover him, he gave Var the opportunity to **** it up, not for the first or last time.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Outside or inside the box, there was not sufficient contact for a penalty. Could be a record number of them awarded this season and it's ruining the game which is turning into a lottery every time.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Outside or inside the box, there was not sufficient contact for a penalty. Could be a record number of them awarded this season and it's ruining the game which is turning into a lottery every time.

You do see a lot of shoulder to shoulder incidents not given. I remember Glenn Murray’s in the box against Palace in the 3-1 (although we did score from the subsequent corner).

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
This.... from The Guardian

"Their 2,000 returning fans, admirably vocal on a freezing night, were reminded of the utterly unappealing turn football has taken: one that alienates them from an experience that should only be enhanced by proximity. Their chorus of “**** VAR” was at least a throwback to times before Covid-19, but that is hardly a glowing reflection of the way the technology is deployed. It was such a marginal call at full speed that VAR should have had no right to overrule the official."

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The ref blew his whistle for the first offence which was 2ft outside the box (where he sprayed his marker). The whistle signals that he has stopped the game so anything that happened after that is irrelevant.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
So if you can run fast anough to crash into a defender, launch yourself like Tom Daley on crack and acid and then land in the box . . . . it's a penalty

VAR can **** RIGHT OFF.

we're getting to the point I don't want to watch football anymore.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Foul continues into area, stone bonker pen. It is actually where VAR works, just as it did last week. Gained a point, lost a point. Move on.

Under the current laws, this is the correct answer. If a foul is initially committed outside of the box but continues into the box it is a penalty.

It was a bloody stupid challenge to make in any event.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here