Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Penalty charge notice.. help!!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
There is a stupid "buses only" turn outside the firestation in Telford at the back of AFC Telford's ground. Coppers sit in hiding on the Firestation forecourt. I got caught on my way to the Stockport game, grrrrr.

It was fixed penalty (no points) but only £30 - can they charge what they like?

The Sat Nav led you into a strip of bus lane? Sounds like you are claiming the road had only a bus lane, whereas I suspect you had a choice. Worth insisting on viewing the video though, I bet they can't retrieve it!
And WS, is this adjudicator service available dor DVLA fixed penalties, and is the lower penalty "clock" frozen for those appeals as well?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And WS, is this adjudicator service available dor DVLA fixed penalties, and is the lower penalty "clock" frozen for those appeals as well?

No civil penalties only - i.e. parking and bus lane infingements. To appeal DVLA fixed penalties you need to go to court. I'm told ( and I've had no reason to test it ) that if you choose to challenge it in court that the penalty is often dropped as the court case costs too much in time and money to bother with.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Shit, something did just occur to me - presumably I'd have to go to Camden Council to dispute it... I live near Leeds... Shit.

if living in yorkshire for any length of time has rubbed off on you at all, you will undoubtably do it to save 60 quid.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
if living in yorkshire for any length of time has rubbed off on you at all, you will undoubtably do it to save 60 quid.

In my experience quite the opposite, I find the people up here a lot more generous and approachable than in the south. ???

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
In my experience quite the opposite, I find the people up here a lot more generous and approachable than in the south. ???

are you from Denton then mate? Newhaven people arent the same as the rest of us....

it was only a joke for fucks sake.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Ahhh, you didn't mention that key bit of information. Select to have an adjudication by post then. Just make sure to give a very detailed account of what happened and why you think you either didn't commit the offence.

I won my appeal as the adjudicator agreed with me that Brighton Council parking signs are unclear and very confusing. I would suggest you use a similar arguement.

I find Brighton signs perfectly clear.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Presumably the footage will show you uneasily turn into the road, pause before realising that you can't realistically undo it, and then drive down it. That would surely back up your argument rather than someone who has blatantly just taken a cheeky shortcut.

Not that they'd care, I doubt.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I recently appealed a penalty notice issued by Westminster.

I was making a delivery, had pre-arranged it, checked the parking restrictions and what I was allowed to do and had a signed delivery note from a solicitor's office. Even having been presented with all the evidence, including the emails arranging the delivery and my car park ticket proving that I was in a local car park 4 minutes after their camera stopped filming me, Westminster Council still insisted I had committed an offence.

Luckily, the adjudicator's verdict was that no penalty was applicable because no offence had occurred.

As others have said, the bastards administering these fines just try to be heavy handed in the hope that you'll back off and pay. I guess most people do.

I was impressed with the bit of video they had of me pulling up and getting out of the car, though!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Iwas given a PCN near Worthing Police Station for parking ina disabled bay without displaying the permit. My mother is 89 and blind and needs a wheel chair as she is not very mobile. When getting out of my car she knocked the permit off of the dashboard so technically they were right to issue the ticket. I wrote in explaining the circumstances but was told I had been let off one 2 years ago so this one must stand. I said that I wanted to appeal but to do so you have to wait until 28 days have expired and a notice is sent to the owner of the vehicle asking for the drivers details and the full charge would be applicable. I have writtem stating it is my intention to dispute the ticket and reserve the right to pay the lower fee if the ticket is found to have been issued correctly. I believe that insisting on the full fee if I appeal is an infrigment of my Human Rights in contravention of the Human Rights Act 1998. I phoned up and offered to pay the lower fee and then dispute it but was told payment was an admission of guilt and brought the matter to a conclusion.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Iwas given a PCN near Worthing Police Station for parking ina disabled bay without displaying the permit. My mother is 89 and blind and needs a wheel chair as she is not very mobile. When getting out of my car she knocked the permit off of the dashboard so technically they were right to issue the ticket. I wrote in explaining the circumstances but was told I had been let off one 2 years ago so this one must stand. I said that I wanted to appeal but to do so you have to wait until 28 days have expired and a notice is sent to the owner of the vehicle asking for the drivers details and the full charge would be applicable. I have writtem stating it is my intention to dispute the ticket and reserve the right to pay the lower fee if the ticket is found to have been issued correctly. I believe that insisting on the full fee if I appeal is an infrigment of my Human Rights in contravention of the Human Rights Act 1998. I phoned up and offered to pay the lower fee and then dispute it but was told payment was an admission of guilt and brought the matter to a conclusion.

Good for you - just wait for the bully boy tactics though ! I couldn't believe how much they threaterned me !

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If everyone who got these tickets got off their arses and appealed then we could make them think again.

Two serving police officers ( independantly ) gave me advice that you should always appeal speeding tickets ( unless you were going at a really silly speed ). I'm sure Edna will disagree though !

Wouldn't know, I've never issued one, and never received one myself (so far...)!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I accept that the ticket was correct because it wasnt displayed on the dashboard but on the seat, which could have been had they looked in the front door windows not that should have to but taking into account mother's disabilities, which is why she has the parking permit, I believe that they could have shown some humanity and cancelled it. As Mr Pimpong their parking control officer said they had recinded one 2 years ago, what has that got to do with this one?.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I accept that the ticket was correct because it wasnt displayed on the dashboard but on the seat, which could have been had they looked in the front door windows not that should have to but taking into account mother's disabilities, which is why she has the parking permit, I believe that they could have shown some humanity and cancelled it. As Mr Pimpong their parking control officer said they had recinded one 2 years ago, what has that got to do with this one?.
I think you will find that you have to DISPLAY the ticket. Otherwise every fraudster could claim the same excuse. You can't expect parking attendants to look under your seat, on the floor, somewhere else not specified but under some litter on the backseat somewhere maybe perhaps honest guv I never did it honest.

You will also find that they often carry digital cameras to provide the evidence of non-display.

What has humanity got to do with it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here