Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Penalties

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The fact that Oliver had to go to a monitor to change his decision (and credit to him for that) should then, IMO, have resulted in a yellow card for Trezueget for conning a penalty out of him. If not on the day, then retrospectively.

Only then might we see a reduction in the dying swan acts when players feel a slight breeze on their sock.

Great point. I don’t understand why this isn’t implemented

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I thought Man U manager summed it up by saying Not like my day when you had to be hacked down for a penalty. Few years ago refs were getting on top of diving now With penalty given for so little now players first thought in box is to dive

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The fact that Oliver had to go to a monitor to change his decision (and credit to him for that) should then, IMO, have resulted in a yellow card for Trezueget for conning a penalty out of him. If not on the day, then retrospectively.

Only then might we see a reduction in the dying swan acts when players feel a slight breeze on their sock.

As the reason for overturning the penalty was that March got the ball first then Trezueget hasn’t done anything wrong (in the ref’s eyes). If the penalty would have been overturned regardless of March getting the ball or not then a booking should have followed.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Also seems keepers will now have to stand behind their lines for a penalty as their initial trigger movements will always see them move off their line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Also seems keepers will now have to stand behind their lines for a penalty as their initial trigger movements will always see them move off their line

Seen a couple of keepers already doing this.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I assume as free kick given to us ref considered they had committed an offence

Exactly, but then if simulation is that not worthy of a booking?

Perhaps insult to injury but he made a right meal of it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As the reason for overturning the penalty was that March got the ball first then Trezueget hasn’t done anything wrong (in the ref’s eyes). If the penalty would have been overturned regardless of March getting the ball or not then a booking should have followed.

As others have mentioned - if Trezueget hadn't done anything wrong, then why did he award us a free kick ?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
When was that then because I've been going for 45 years and during that time that was never the rule!

Ok clear denial of a goal was stretching it but back when I was playing 30 years ago the rules were much stricter for a penalty.

For example if a striker ran into the box and was taken down. If he had overhit the ball and wouldn't have retained possession it was no penalty even if it was a definite foul.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I assume as free kick given to us ref considered they had committed an offence

Actually (I found this out yesterday) if you get a contentious decision in the box like this, play restarts with a drop ball, which had to go back to the keeper.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Was it a free kick or an uncontested drop ball? I can’t remember now.

Drop ball which Ryan played with his feet and waited for Aston Villa to run at him where he pounced on it (well picked it up)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Drop ball which Ryan played with his feet and waited for Aston Villa to run at him where he pounced on it (well picked it up)

Thought is was a free kick, but then I'd been shouting at the TV for 2-3 solid minutes by then so not surprised I missed this. As you were :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think we can pit the genie back in the bottle.

Even a pundit ref like Peter Walton is saying stuff like "quite rightly he went down" and former greats like Hoddle purr with delight when an attacker wins a penalty through "smart play".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here