Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pedometer - anyone got one?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Loads of offers on them on packs of cereals etc.

Do they encourage you to walk more? Do you get competitive about it - beating yesterdays total? Or do they get slung in a drawer after a few days?

Dr Breakfast

Feb 13, 2005
Sussex innit
They're bollocks really. If you're serious about getting more exercise you go to the gym where you can do a hell of a lot more work in a fraction of the time.

Taking the stairs rather than lifts and escalators is easy enough to remember without a pedometer and essentially that's about all they encourage you to do

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I got one when the BBC were sending them out. As I have an office job I only do about 4000 to 5000 a day whereas Ned does 16000 in his job.

Sits on the bedside cabinet now doing nothing (the pedometer not Ned)

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Yorkie said:

:lolol:

Have one, don't use it. Cycle everywhere I don't drive to.

Have a bike 'computer' as Halfords called it - basically the same as pedometer but monitoring the bike wheel. Can do around 35 miles in a go, about 2-2.5 hours, although I'll collapse when I get home

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Yorkie said:
I got one when the BBC were sending them out. As I have an office job I only do about 4000 to 5000 a day whereas Ned does 16000 in his job.

:lolol:

I have a one and have only used it a few times, now its tucked away safely! Would use it again though so not a total waste of time. I think I manage a decent amount of 'steps' each day but that could change so you need a kick up the bum every now and then :D

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I walk quite a lot and would be interested in getting one.

At least and hour walking from home to station and tube to work each week day.

In fact I like walking alot but something the kids sadly don't share.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Beach Hut said:
I walk quite a lot and would be interested in getting one.

At least and hour walking from home to station and tube to work each week day.

In fact I like walking alot but something the kids sadly don't share.

I got mine free from the Walkers crisps website last year, not usre if they still do them now though!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Race said:
I got mine free from the Walkers crisps website last year, not usre if they still do them now though!

One of the girls at work ordered a load but I was on holiday - might try and see if anyone doesn't use theirs.

Need to sort out by cycle mileometer, just started up again and do around 10 mile circuit.

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
My missus got one off a Kelloggs pack. She was wore it for a while and did 11,000 steps at the most in one day. I decided to try it for a week, doing between 24,000 and 30,000 per day. I work as milkman, have got 6 kids, always busy and only sleep 5 hours per night. On my day off though, a lazy Sunday watching footie etc. I did only 4,000 steps. It seemed to work OK without any problems.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Exmouth Seagull said:
I decided to try it for a week, doing between 24,000 and 30,000 per day. I work as milkman, have got 6 kids, always busy and only sleep 5 hours per night.

effin heck. That is a lot of walking. I will add that to my useless stats collection.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mrs G has one - she used it for a few days but now festers in the drawer.

Like MYOB, I have a version for my bike - although it's not really being tested by the journey from Coldean to Brighton station every morning.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Referee87 said:
i got a wlakers crisp one ... it was crap. everytime you moved even jolted the thing it clicked aniother step.

Mine registered 57 steps when I was driving to work. I presume that was when I pressed my foot down on the accelerator.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I never really felt the need to get one. I walk to and from work every day, and go swimming twice a week (I swim between 2 and 3 kilometers in each session).

I also eat sensibly, and have pretty much stopped smoking.

:p

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
A pedometer - that's a device which counts your split infinitives, or the number of times you say "less" instead of "fewer", isn't it?
I thought a pedometer was something that goes off to alert you when a paedo is around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here