My performance grades (TV performance only):

Tony Armstrong (UKIP) Retired Police Officer 2
Katy Bourne (Conservative) Business Consultant 2
Ian Chisnall (Independent) Charity Manager 4
Godfrey Daniel Professional Politician/former Magistrate 3
David Rogers (Liberal Democrat) Politician 5

BBC Interviewer 1

These are marks out of ten.

My independent garnering of intelligence, is that most people could not care about this election, but one or two are more enthusiastic than the local elections.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Don't vote as it's a terrible idea
or
Vote against the Tory.

Undecided.

Yes this sums it up. As they have controls over budgets and direction though I think it will probbaly be the latter.

I imagine the turnout will be low so every vote may count against the blue tide that is mid sussex.

I was informed even though this fella is God squad he beats the other candidates hands down for backing hands on projects that reduce drugs crime and help the homeless.

Choose My PCC | Ian Chisnall

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yes this sums it up. As they have controls over budgets and direction though I think it will probbaly be the latter.

I imagine the turnout will be low so every vote may count against the blue tide that is mid sussex.

I was informed even though this fella is God squad he beats the other candidates hands down for backing hands on projects that reduce drugs crime and help the homeless.

Did I see that Ian Chisnall works for a company that supplies the Police .?:facepalm:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks

You mention control over budgets and then show support for someone who's already said he'll put the precept up (that's more taxes folks), and of course he's got hands on experince with drug and homeless projects because he's a do gooding god botherer. The fact that he can count the greens and traveller groups amongst his supporters is even more reason not to vote for him.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You mention control over budgets and then show support for someone who's already said he'll put the precept up (that's more taxes folks), and of course he's got hands on experince with drug and homeless projects because he's a do gooding god botherer. The fact that he can count the greens and traveller groups amongst his supporters is even more reason not to vote for him.

Gibberish. He can do no such thing.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Buried in the Mud (Stitched up like a Kipper)

Buried so far deep and the papers in the shredder .... is a Hillsborough cover up (and worse) more or less likely to happen with one Commissioner or a Committee of 19 (Police Authority) ?

Don't think the Sussex don't bury their cock-ups (and worse). Most of them do not reach the Police Authority.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You're correct, just because he's funded by the Greens, it doesn't mean he can count on their votes.

I suppose the evidence is out there - you're not one for fibs - but bearing in mind that The Green Party flatly denies that this is the case; I've just asked one of their councillors.

Additionally, from The Green Party website...

Advice on the Police and Crime Commissioner election

If you would like to know more about the Green Party position in Brighton and Hove regarding the Police & Crime Commissioner election in Sussex on Thursday 15 November, here are some frequently asked questions to help explain the issues.

Q. Why isn’t there a Green candidate for the Police and Crime Commissioner in Sussex on Thursday?

We aren’t standing a candidate for the Police and Crime Commissioner in Sussex (or in most parts of the country) because we don’t agree with the principle that one politician of one political colour should have control over a regional police service which covers such a large and diverse area as Sussex and serves more than 1.5 million people (the same population as Northern Ireland).

The Coalition Government has introduced ‘Police and Crime Commissioner’ posts at a significant cost to the tax payer. The cost of the election has been estimated at £75m every four years.

In Sussex, the chief post has a salary of £85,000 and a deputy, if appointed, could be paid around £40,000. In time, an expensive infrastructure will also grow up around them. We believe precious public funds at a time of austerity could be better spent on frontline policing and community safety rather than adding another bureaucratic and narrowly politicised layer to the police service.

We also worry that police force morale may be badly damaged should the commissioner be forced – as is likely – into political debates about the best – or cheapest – way to police Sussex.

Q. Who should Green voters choose in the absence of a Green candidate?

The Brighton and Hove Green Party is not backing or endorsing anyone and is not encouraging people to vote in this election. We believe it is appropriate for each voter to decide whether to vote and, if so, how to mark their ballot paper. It is likely that many voters will not vote at all.

Q. What alternative do you offer?

We believe policing should be operationally independent of politics, administered at a more local level and backed by vigorous community oversight from local elected representatives such as councillors, MPs and elected panels, representing a variety of communities and political beliefs.

We will continue to represent the people of Brighton & Hove via the Police and Crime Panel, which will include an experienced elected Green councillor. And all our Green councillors and Green Member of Parliament, Caroline Lucas, will continue to support the police service where appropriate and to help in holding the police service to account where needed.

As a political party, and through our elected representatives, we will also monitor closely whoever is elected as the Police and Crime Commissioner for Sussex, challenging them whenever required on such issues as crime prevention, community safety and policing in Brighton and Hove – that could be anything from concerns about police officers on their local beat to the safe management of protests and civil disobedience.

We believe this is better representation for the city than one politically motivated commissioner, selected to serve the whole of Sussex on what’s likely to be a very low voter turnout.

Q. By refusing to contest, aren’t you just ignoring problems such as crime and community safety?

We believe passionately in the safety of local communities. Safer neighbourhoods underpin the Green vision for Brighton and Hove. Community safety is threatened by Coalition-imposed austerity and the cuts that are being made to policing budgets everywhere by the Coalition Government, and which we fundamentally oppose.

Electing a Police & Crime Commissioner will not stop the cuts – indeed, the first job of a new commissioner may be to impose even harsher cuts.

As the party in administration on Brighton and Hove city council, we will ensure that the council prioritises community safety and supports policing operations and we will defend the police against further cuts to frontline services should they be proposed by the commissioner.

Our local Green councillors and our Green MP will continue to push the case for transparent, fair and effective policing across the city of Brighton and Hove.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
How do you know that it's actually them that's replying and not there assistant(s)?

Fair point, have to have a little faith.
Seeing as this is a campaign from a fairly powerful organisation (38 degrees), it may be the same response that every who emailed got from her and it could be a copy and paste job!
Either way, it's quite well put.
So far I've been a little suspicious of very long responses.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I suppose the evidence is out there - you're not one for fibs - but bearing in mind that The Green Party flatly denies that this is the case; I've just asked one of their councillors.

Additionally, from The Green Party website...

Advice on the Police and Crime Commissioner election

If you would like to know more about the Green Party position in Brighton and Hove regarding the Police & Crime Commissioner election in Sussex on Thursday 15 November, here are some frequently asked questions to help explain the issues.

Q. Why isn’t there a Green candidate for the Police and Crime Commissioner in Sussex on Thursday?

We aren’t standing a candidate for the Police and Crime Commissioner in Sussex (or in most parts of the country) because we don’t agree with the principle that one politician of one political colour should have control over a regional police service which covers such a large and diverse area as Sussex and serves more than 1.5 million people (the same population as Northern Ireland).

The Coalition Government has introduced ‘Police and Crime Commissioner’ posts at a significant cost to the tax payer. The cost of the election has been estimated at £75m every four years.

In Sussex, the chief post has a salary of £85,000 and a deputy, if appointed, could be paid around £40,000. In time, an expensive infrastructure will also grow up around them. We believe precious public funds at a time of austerity could be better spent on frontline policing and community safety rather than adding another bureaucratic and narrowly politicised layer to the police service.

We also worry that police force morale may be badly damaged should the commissioner be forced – as is likely – into political debates about the best – or cheapest – way to police Sussex.

Q. Who should Green voters choose in the absence of a Green candidate?

The Brighton and Hove Green Party is not backing or endorsing anyone and is not encouraging people to vote in this election. We believe it is appropriate for each voter to decide whether to vote and, if so, how to mark their ballot paper. It is likely that many voters will not vote at all.

Q. What alternative do you offer?

We believe policing should be operationally independent of politics, administered at a more local level and backed by vigorous community oversight from local elected representatives such as councillors, MPs and elected panels, representing a variety of communities and political beliefs.

We will continue to represent the people of Brighton & Hove via the Police and Crime Panel, which will include an experienced elected Green councillor. And all our Green councillors and Green Member of Parliament, Caroline Lucas, will continue to support the police service where appropriate and to help in holding the police service to account where needed.

As a political party, and through our elected representatives, we will also monitor closely whoever is elected as the Police and Crime Commissioner for Sussex, challenging them whenever required on such issues as crime prevention, community safety and policing in Brighton and Hove – that could be anything from concerns about police officers on their local beat to the safe management of protests and civil disobedience.

We believe this is better representation for the city than one politically motivated commissioner, selected to serve the whole of Sussex on what’s likely to be a very low voter turnout.

Q. By refusing to contest, aren’t you just ignoring problems such as crime and community safety?

We believe passionately in the safety of local communities. Safer neighbourhoods underpin the Green vision for Brighton and Hove. Community safety is threatened by Coalition-imposed austerity and the cuts that are being made to policing budgets everywhere by the Coalition Government, and which we fundamentally oppose.

Electing a Police & Crime Commissioner will not stop the cuts – indeed, the first job of a new commissioner may be to impose even harsher cuts.

As the party in administration on Brighton and Hove city council, we will ensure that the council prioritises community safety and supports policing operations and we will defend the police against further cuts to frontline services should they be proposed by the commissioner.

Our local Green councillors and our Green MP will continue to push the case for transparent, fair and effective policing across the city of Brighton and Hove.

Interesting indeed - especially as Mr Chisnall himself said that part of his 5k was provided by the Greens

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Interesting indeed - especially as Mr Chisnall himself said that part of his 5k was provided by the Greens

It's possible that a Green councillor - a personal friend of his - may have contributed, but if she did, it was in a private capacity, not in a party capacity. However, seeing as he says he raised the funds privately, there is no way of knowing.

This interview gets to the bottom of things a lot more. Interesting he has Tories on board in his campaign...

Interview with Ian Chisnall, an evangelical Christian candidate for Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner | Scrapper Duncan

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It's possible that a Green councillor - a personal friend of his - may have contributed, but if she did, it was in a private capacity, not in a party capacity. However, seeing as he says he raised the funds privately, there is no way of knowing.

This interview gets to the bottom of things a lot more. Interesting he has Tories on board in his campaign...

Interview with Ian Chisnall, an evangelical Christian candidate for Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner | Scrapper Duncan

Having met Scrapper Duncan........................ I suspect there is an agenda at play there

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
I'm going to post my vote today, still none of them stand out!
To be honest Katy Bourne seems like more of a marketing figure head than anything else and no real experience on this specific field.

The labour guy, Godfrey Daniel, seems fairly plugged into the whole thing already.
Tony Armstrong - the only actual Policeman, seems to say more about getting criminals off the streets to stop crime.
David Rogers - seems to have some experience in Policing and in Sussex although I don't know what being a "member of the Sussex Police Authority" actually means.
Ian Chisnal - running independently, seems to have some experience of Sussex Police, possibly more so than any other candidate?

Currently I am leaning more towards Chisnal as 1st choice, with Daniel, Rogers and Armstrong vying for 2nd and I'm sorry to say Katy Bourne is at the bottom of my list.

they all say the same thing, connect wit the community & domestic violence.
I've only seen Brighton's policing in action so I've no concept of the more rural areas but I'd assume that the cost cutting would affect them more than in the city?

need to decide between the bottom 3 really, then take another look at it.
It's all just marketing, we'll never know if we've voted in a twat until they get there :-(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here