Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PC upgrade

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Grizz said:
What a load of cobblers. The only area that Intel have stolen the lead over AMD is in the initial Dual Core Processor phase, however AMD are catching up fast especially announcing the first Quad Core computer. To the average layman there isn't much in the chips.

AMD announced quads first. Intel have come to market with them, AMD haven't. AMD have always done this, announced something as soon as it enters development - only to be beaten to it by either Intel or VIA.

AMD are also losing serious cash at the moment and may struggle to stay in business. Could be no warranty on their gear soon - and that includes ATI graphics cards.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Different subject slightly but advice needed from anybody who knows the answer.

My son has just renegotiated his charges with AOL and in so doing they have reduced his monthly tariff by £3 per month. They were unable to give him a refund on what he has been overcharged but have given him a wireless router, which eh does not need and has offered it to me.

I have a pc on aol broadband and a laptop which I use aol dial up. Obviously I can use the router on the lap top at home but my question is: can I use that router when away from home if the pub I am in uses another ISP i.e BT or Tiscali or is the router only usable with aol.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
BensGrandad said:
Different subject slightly but advice needed from anybody who knows the answer.

My son has just renegotiated his charges with AOL and in so doing they have reduced his monthly tariff by £3 per month. They were unable to give him a refund on what he has been overcharged but have given him a wireless router, which eh does not need and has offered it to me.

I have a pc on aol broadband and a laptop which I use aol dial up. Obviously I can use the router on the lap top at home but my question is: can I use that router when away from home if the pub I am in uses another ISP i.e BT or Tiscali or is the router only usable with aol.

It should be ok, it's just a sender and a receiver.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i dunno why i open these threads
i have absolutely NO IDEA what people are on about
and i have nothing constructive to post in reply.....EVER :down:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Toronto Seagull said:
I'd buy a Mac. No Windows. No problems.

Thread Closed. :thumbsup:

Money IS a factor though! ..if it were not i'd get a Mac without even thinking about it. Am going to upgrade to keep current PC ticking over for 18 months before splashing out proper...

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Jam The Man said:
Money IS a factor though! ..if it were not i'd get a Mac without even thinking about it. Am going to upgrade to keep current PC ticking over for 18 months before splashing out proper...

Have you thought about the Mac Mini.? You can use your existing monitor, keyboard and mouse from your PC.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Toronto Seagull said:
Have you thought about the Mac Mini.? You can use your existing monitor, keyboard and mouse from your PC.
Yeah had a look.. but still out of current spare cash range...

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Marc said:
just bad luck or maybe your mobo screwed them in the first place!
AMD are bloody good and for the price they run every bit as fast as Intel and are actually better for Gaming....although its all swings 'n roundabouts these days.

Yup they are good for gaming. I've had no problem with my 3200 AMD processor.
I have 256mb Radeon 7600 GeForce, 1mb Ram and 200gb Hard Drive. Runs absolutely perfect. Most games i can run at Med/High settings. World of Warcraft at 1280x1024 averages me at about 50fps. CS:Source at about 45fps so its fine. I think i will upgrade in a year or so maybe with a new processor and 1gb more Ram

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
"Radeon 7600 GeForce" ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

You realise like saying you have a "Mercedes 320i BMW", don't you? AMD make the Radeon and nVidia make the GeForce and they're COMPLETELY different things. And the Radeon 7xxx series is a good 6 years old too - I guess you have a GeForce 7600?

Additionally, those CS:Source FPS are abonimably low for that card/processor combo - I'd make sure you have the latest drivers installed for -everything-. I'm on a Pentium D 820 and a GeForce 6800 Ultra and get >90fps. That machine is about a generation older than yours.

Last edited:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
MYOB said:
"Radeon 7600 GeForce" ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

You realise like saying you have a "Mercedes 320i BMW", don't you? AMD make the Radeon and nVidia make the GeForce and they're COMPLETELY different things. And the Radeon 7xxx series is a good 6 years old too - I guess you have a GeForce 7600?

Yeah sorry my mistake :dunce:

shabba

Dec 22, 2004
Bookham
Springal said:
tbh i'd just buy a new one from dell, the price gap between building your own and buying a prebuilt from dell or the like is so small now its barely worth it!

www.dell.co.uk

And Dell are a really good make.................................not!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
shabba said:
And Dell are a really good make.................................not!

wot makes u say that? in my old job we rolled out about 6000 of their machines, very minimal amount of problems as well as about 200 laptops.

Also in my current job i have customers using their switches for Co-Lo customers and again no problems [apart from the horrible CLI]

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Dell make switches??

Dell machines have poor build quality, and the support - which a business is likely never to call - its a-f***ing-trocious these days. And yet the price doesn't match the quality - they're 50 to 100 notes dearer than they should be.

Dell USED to make good machines at a high price with good support. Now they don't.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
MYOB said:
Dell make switches??

Dell machines have poor build quality, and the support - which a business is likely never to call - its a-f***ing-trocious these days. And yet the price doesn't match the quality - they're 50 to 100 notes dearer than they should be.

Dell USED to make good machines at a high price with good support. Now they don't.

they used to be re-badged foundry's but i think they changed them again. Do the job and very reasonably priced, just a shame theres no BGP on their Layer3 stuff

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
MYOB said:

Additionally, those CS:Source FPS are abonimably low for that card/processor combo - I'd make sure you have the latest drivers installed for -everything-. I'm on a Pentium D 820 and a GeForce 6800 Ultra and get >90fps. That machine is about a generation older than yours.

What f***ing language is that? It sure as hell is not English. Not the dialect I speak anyway :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here