Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PC or Mac?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Yep - get yourself a Mac and then install software on it to make it run like Windows.

Get yourself an iPhone and install software so it can run flash.

All this for three times the price of a good PC set up. (I believe Apple throw in the feeling of smugness and self congratulation for free!)

:thumbsup:

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Ive been comitted to PC all my life but have recently started moving towards Mac. Im told that Mac can do most PC things but I have concerns about my needs:

1) I torrent lots of tv and films. Is it as easy with mac?
2) Im an FM holic which means I use all resources available. Can I use all these on mac?
3) In my work I need powerpoint and use projectors for my presentations. Have heard that mac has problems with projectors. Is it true?
4) Planning to get Rome TW2. Will it be available on mac?

If mac cant answer those Im staying with Toshiba

When you say Toshiba then does that mean that you are using a laptop? If so then the Macbook Pros are very sturdy beasts. I used to travel a lot, and destroyed a laptop every year or so. My first Macbook Pro lasted more than two years without any appreciable signs of wear and tear, and I passed it on to a friend who continues to use it two years after that.

As for the operating system itself, unless you are a tinkerer most operating systems do a decent enough job of getting out of your way nowadays. I wouldn't say that OSX is massively better than Windows, and as long as you put down a bit of money for a decent antivirus program you won't find it too much of an issue.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
My school district just passed up a chance to get the 700 or so machines in use here replaced with essentially free HP tablets, or HP notebooks, or take the equivalent $$$ from the state, add additional $$$ from budget, and get the next generation of Macs. They took the Macs and spent the money. (MacBook Airs, 13" for staff, 11" for students).

Fewer admin hassles, less user training, higher customer satisfaction.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Mac mac mac mac !! Never go back !! When youve had mac !!!

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Mac all day long. Bought my first one 3 years ago for £400 & sold it this year for £250. You cannot compare the 2, same as Barca playing Wrexham!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Gaming performance on the high end retina MBPs isn't too bad at all when sat next to similar sized laptops, in fact it's quite impressive.

But expect to be very let down by the gaming performance of the lower end macbooks and the imacs, they might use some marketing to convince their sheep they have decent gaming specs but they don't they have shit specs. Good enough for Football Manager sure but they'll struggle to do a game like Rome 2 justice. Infact any computer in the Apple lineup will so if you're a big gaming fan then that's something to bare in mind.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I've worked in IT since before windows was born and I've heard this debate over and over for years.
The simple answers is - depends what you want to do.
Both have advantages over each other.
However, in the corporate world there isn't a single business server that runs Apple O/S, its all Unix, Linux and Windows leading the market now.
Personally, Macs are for arty geeks who enjoy a bit of perceived oneupmanship and have poor value for money assessment for their computing needs ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here