Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PC Help: Pop/ups / Malware

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
Hi all,

Sorry this isnt football related it's just fairly urgent PC stuff.

The last couple of days I keep getting pop ups in the right hand corner of my screen advertising stuff very regularly. Occassionally if I'm on a website and click a link it directs me to a completely different website.

I've done a system clean up, uninstalled my web browser and run Malware detection software... is there anything else I can do? Does anyone also get these adverts? where do they come from?

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Hi all,

Sorry this isnt football related it's just fairly urgent PC stuff.

The last couple of days I keep getting pop ups in the right hand corner of my screen advertising stuff very regularly. Occassionally if I'm on a website and click a link it directs me to a completely different website.

I've done a system clean up, uninstalled my web browser and run Malware detection software... is there anything else I can do? Does anyone also get these adverts? where do they come from?

Try a system restore back to a time before you had problems. If you don't have any early enough restore points, the virus may have deliberately trashed them to prevent you doing that. If that's the case, then you'll need to do a restore from a full system image if you've done one, or a restore back to factory build or clean reinstall of Windows.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I would try Malabytes in SAFE mode, seems to get rid of a lot more. (super anti spyware is good) both free to use.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
I've done system restore, run Firefox and Malabytes in safe mode and also installed add ins to Mozills including 'AdBlocker' and 'Flashblocker' but I am still getting a few pop ups on the right hand side when I go on certain websites (including this one) ... any more ideas?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I would try Malabytes in SAFE mode, seems to get rid of a lot more. (super anti spyware is good) both free to use.

Malwarebytes - boot the PC in "safe mode with networking" then download and install it then run it. Brilliant for removing Malware and Spyware.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
I've done it in Safe mode but I downloaded it not in safe mode... does this make a difference?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here