Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paypal, beware

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Last week I had bought something using Paypal (not from Ebay). They ended up charging me more than ten times the cost of the item and despite the fact it's going to be a Police matter for an unauthorised transaction they refuse to get involved !

Just shows how safe Paypal are.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
How does that happen then? Surely you have to push money to the merchant - they can't simply help themselves to your cash.

Unless you've been tricked into sending too much?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Also beware of buying gig tickets way in advance of the event on ebay. A friend of mine at work bought tickets for a pink gig in May for a Dec show.

Quelle suprise tickets never turned up despite the "will be sent registered post when received from seller" which as you know is usually about two weeks before.

Anyhow paypal only have a 45 day window after the auction...therefore when he mentioned no tickets received - want money back - paypal said no as it wasnt raised within 45 days of auction finishing even tho delivery wasnt expected for a few months. Of course the seller is no longer on ebay and has a done a bunk with his £70 or whatever.

So beware of buying gig tickets o/s the 45 day window.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Last week I had bought something using Paypal (not from Ebay). They ended up charging me more than ten times the cost of the item and despite the fact it's going to be a Police matter for an unauthorised transaction they refuse to get involved !

Just shows how safe Paypal are.

some time ago they took some money from our account and after some threats from myself and my bank(co-op)we got the money back
they blamed Lycos who were going belly up at the time and I had an email account with them and mumbled something about disgruntled Lycos people
disorganised,unhelpful,rude,and not very well informed ...................in other words crap

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I HATE paypal but it is a necessary evil Im afraid.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well the irony is that this was not an Ebay purchase. What gets me is that my bank account clearly shows the transaction and the wrong amount. The seller (who I have had an automated receipt from) swears blind that they got the amount that we both expected but Paypal say there's nothing wrong ! My bank, Natwest, are on it and in fact say that they will get the Police on it is Paypal refuse to cooperate. Frankly I am amazed that Paypal are being so obtuse.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Sorry to dissapoint but its doesn't sound like a police matter, rather a civil dispute. Down to the bank to sort out if various parties are all saying x amount was debited but the bank are saying otherwise. In my experience the banks are without exception entirely unhelpful and difficult to get anything out of from a police viewpoint. When police do get involved they prefer to blame everyone but themselves for their countless cock-ups. The reason it will not be a criminal matter is that Paypal will clearly not have had any criminal intent on their part in this matter and unless you can show that the seller has recieved more money than they should have done which seems unlikely if Paypal are saying the correct amount was debited it remains a civil matter. Good luck though I hope you get your money back.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its amazing that paypal are not regulated in anyway, or that there isnt a serious competitor. for me its a major problem for growth of internet business, but as enough people have no problems and theres enough growth as it is, no one seems willing to deal with the problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here