Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Paying forbThe Guarniad

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
While not just about the guardian does anyone still have a paperboy/girl? Don’t seem to see them around anymore but was a brilliant job when I was 13
My lad is a paperboy. Mon - Friday £20 a week.

Basically, he's delivering to people who are retired. In 20 years I think they will be a thing of the past.

There's a fair few that work at the his shop (5 I think).

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
There are still paper rounds here - my son did one for 3 years or so. The main issue was that, on many occasions, the papers were not delivered at the shop until after the kids doing the rounds had gone to school :rolleyes:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I regularly read online articles from The Guardian. They come up in searches or as suggestions on Google. Invariably, there is good writing and a considered pov.

They tell me that I've read 20 articles (this month?). This morning I succumbed to their request at the end of the article to make a small contribution. It only seemed fair.

Has anyone else ever bothered? I'm not sure I've done this before in years of inadvertently reading their content online.
Used to buy the Grauniad daily, that changed during Covid obviously...so subscribed. Its about £12 a month now and I was paying 4 times that monthly for the paper. No brainer.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I started paying for The Guardian immediately after the Brexit vote when the whole of the media and politics seemed to be going crazy. The Guardian's reporting during that time kept me sane and vaguely hopeful.

Very happy to continue supporting their journalism.

I've more recently started subscribing to The Times as well. It's a good thing to have some balance in your media consumption, though I genuinely think their take on some news stories is rather weird.
I used to subscribe to the Times until they hired Quentin Letts*. Not happy with any of my money going to that prick.

I also noticed that half the people who wrote columns for the opinion bit who I actually had any respect for left for one reason or another, and most of them seemed to be replaced by people in their early 20s who I had no interest in reading the views of.

I'm normally quite good at paying money to websites that I'm genuinely interested in, but I never have for the Guardian. I think the issue is that none of the regular writers for it are individually good or interesting enough for me to feel invested in it, even if the paper as a whole is something I vaguely feel supportive of.

*This isn't actually true, the final straw came last summer when Gideon Haigh seemed to have a brain transplant with somebody who normally writes for the Courier Mail.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here