Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pay on the gate - brilliant

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You just KNOW you won't be able to pay on the gate at Falmer due to the usual planning jump through hoops bollocks. Probably be able to buy them at the ticket office which - surely! - will be on the Falmer site and open on the day of the game. But that's not the same as pay on the gate.

That seems to be the norm at a lot of grounds nowadays, can't see why Falmer should be any different. Ok its not EXACTLY pay on the gate, but its close enough and will still be CRUCIAL to getting bums on seats. Anyone who doesn't bother going simply because they can't be arsed to queue at a booth and then at the turnstile would be a nobber.

Yes, a nobber.

As has been posted previously:

Condition 46 of the Planning Permission:-

The Stadium shall not be brought into use unless and until a Travel
Management Plan prepared in consultation with the Travel
Management Group has been submitted to and approved in writing by
the Local Planning Authority

The Travel Management Plan shall include details of:

1. Match ticket sales points;
2. Provision of Transport Voucher or equivalent and journeys/modes
to be covered by the same;
3. Capacity location management and operational arrangements of
Park and Ride sites and the Bus and Coach Park;
4. Provision of Signage directing vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists to
Stadium and Parking;
5. Public Transport arrangements to be provided including (but not
limited to) addition public transport capacity on Event Days;
6. A Parking Management Strategy for the Controlled Parking Zone as
defined in Condition 48 below;
7. Methodology for assessment of additional traffic impacts;
8. Publicity arrangements in respect of parking restrictions in the
vicinity of the Stadium including (but not limited to) restrictions on
parking on the Falmer Campus of the University of Brighton in
Falmer Village and in Stanmer Park and the use of non-car travel
modes (to include away supporters);
9. Pedestrian routing to and from the Stadium;
10. Management of Pedestrian Routes;
11. An Information Strategy for publicity of travel details and advice of
spectator behaviour;
12. Mechanism for monitoring and review of the Travel Management
Plan;

No event with an anticipated attendance of 500 or more shall take
place at the Stadium other than in accordance with the Travel
Management Plan or such separate Travel Management Plan as shall
have been submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning
Authority specific to that Event.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
how are the club going to deal with fans who will be dropped off at the ground, like now.

I am buggered if I am going to be dropped off at the ground and then walk half a mile to the ticket office at Falmer station ( or if there is not one there, then where?) just to buy a ticket

As I have said many times, it needs to be EASY to get people back. Its a hassle now!!!

BTW on that point, will the tickets be inflated by having to pay this transport ticket again?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
how are the club going to deal with fans who will be dropped off at the ground, like now.

I am buggered if I am going to be dropped off at the ground and then walk half a mile to the ticket office at Falmer station ( or if there is not one there, then where?) just to buy a ticket

As I have said many times, it needs to be EASY to get people back. Its a hassle now!!!

BTW on that point, will the tickets be inflated by having to pay this transport ticket again?

Look on the bright side Dave, you'll be able to use the Travel Voucher / inflated surcharge on the replacement bus service at weekends.

That'll be fun :nono:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
thought the station was literally 200 metres or something ?

It is, but it depends if and where the ticket stations will be.

I have submitted a PM to Insider !

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have submitted a PM to Insider !

And just who do you thinnk will be asked to answer it!

Can that also include my point about people who are dropped off at the ground and will not have to use public transport

Gracias

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I wondered how long it would be before people were MOANING about Falmer. Excellent. :clap:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I wondered how long it would be before people were MOANING about Falmer. Excellent. :clap:

I dont think anyone is actually moaning, I think people are looking for clarification

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Can that also include my point about people who are dropped off at the ground and will not have to use public transport

Gracias

Well if you're gonna save yourself all that energy by getting a lift and not using the excellent public transport links that will be put in place then I'm sure you can walk for a bit to get a ticket? It can't all be on a plate for you.

If DtG wants to be dropped off at the stadium ...

Coming from Mile Oak, the best thing to do would be to drive along the A27 to Falmer, cross the dual carriageway by using the Falmer interchange flyover, drive down back on to the A27, and get dropped off at Station Approach. This is immediately adjacent to Falmer Station. Then cross the footbridge and the stadium is less than 200 yards away.

Meanwhile, Mrs Gaffer is in the car, facing Brighton or Mile Oak.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

It's not that though really is it ? Now we're actually thinking that this is REALLY going to happen, people are just thinking about practicalities, it's not longer a pipe-dream.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If DtG wants to be dropped off at the stadium ...

Coming from Mile Oak, the best thing to do would be to drive along the A27 to Falmer, cross the dual carriageway by using the Falmer interchange flyover, drive down back on to the A27, and get dropped off at Station Approach. This is immediately adjacent to Falmer Station. Then cross the footbridge and the stadium is less than 200 yards away.

Meanwhile, Mrs Gaffer is in the car, facing Brighton or Mile Oak.

seems like a plan!!!!

excellent

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
i remember paying on the gate at Orient last year for the 4-1 win and the wonder that was Bas. I hadnt planned on going to the game, but sitting in Luton a few hours before the match, I couldn't resist! Instead of listening to Seagulls World I hopped on the train and got there in plenty of time, wonderful match!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
While I appreciate some of the more creative avenues the club is going down on this, there actually isn't a lot of grey area on the issue. You either do have 'pay on the gate' in the way most people would traditionally understand the phrase, or you don't. The basic sale of match tickets for the football club shouldn't even be in the Travel Management Plan, it's got nothing to do with that.

Falmer desperately needed pay on the day to fill it, quite aside from the fact that it is what most fans/customers (and especially the casual ones, who we need) want. If we have traded it away for some pseudo-green credentials that was a mistake. I do wonder exactly where the club got their fan input on this. Because I think most fans would have told them in no uncertain terms it was very important.

But hey, looks like it's done now. It will cost us fans, no one knows exactly how many, let's hope just a few dozen rather than thousands.

Pay on the gate - like Huddersfield tonight - brings back spontanaeity to football: you don't have to plan weeks in advance, or tickets etc - spur of the moment, jump in the car and go. Bloody brilliant - bring on Falmer - and tonight, bring on Huddersfield :clap2::clap2:
I've just been offered a lift in a private plane.

BADFAN said 'no thanks'.

While I appreciate some of the more creative avenues the club is going down on this, there actually isn't a lot of grey area on the issue. You either do have 'pay on the gate' in the way most people would traditionally understand the phrase, or you don't. The basic sale of match tickets for the football club shouldn't even be in the Travel Management Plan, it's got nothing to do with that.

Falmer desperately needed pay on the day to fill it, quite aside from the fact that it is what most fans/customers (and especially the casual ones, who we need) want. If we have traded it away for some pseudo-green credentials that was a mistake. I do wonder exactly where the club got their fan input on this. Because I think most fans would have told them in no uncertain terms it was very important.

But hey, looks like it's done now. It will cost us fans, no one knows exactly how many, let's hope just a few dozen rather than thousands.

The Club didn't dream up the need for a Travel Plan. Nor did they offer to put ticketing arrangements into it.

It is NOW a condition of ALL major planning applications (not just football stadiums) that they comply with PPS13, the government's planning policy statement on transport. This requires every major development to include arrangements to minimise transport use. How this is to be achieved is up to the authority that grants planning permission. In the case of the Falmer Stadium, the conditions have been set by the Secretary of State.

Fan input isn't part of the process.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here