Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pay As You Go Car Tax

Titanic said:
They won't do that - because it's not about carbon emissions or road congestion, it is about FUND RAISING from the motorist - who is an easy target.

They want road pricing so they can still take cash from us even if we have very fuel efficient cars, electric cars, hyrogen cars... it's just about raising TAX.

Did you actually read any of my initial post? I suggest you read the executive summary of the Eddington report that I linked to, and then come back.

But hey, why let facts get in the way of a political rant, eh? :rolleyes:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Titanic said:
They won't do that - because it's not about carbon emissions or road congestion, it is about FUND RAISING from the motorist - who is an easy target.

They want road pricing so they can still take cash from us even if we have very fuel efficient cars, electric cars, hyrogen cars... it's just about raising TAX.
Right, OK. Thanks for that. And taxing undesirable activities (such as the overuse of cars) is right and proper and has been done by governments as long as there have been governments. Quite right too.

As I've said before, I'd be amazed if this didn't save weekend drivers like me a fortune, plus I agree with it on principle. So...I won't be signing.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
tedebear said:
Probably - but how to you disuade people from using their cars, having too many cars, and from buying huge gas guzzlers?

You build more roads, where people want to go!

By all means tax fuel that causes environmental damage - if you spend the money raised on mitigating the damage or 'offsetting' (rather than fighting wars in the Middle East, buying nuclear submarines and warheads etc... etc...)

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Titanic said:
You build more roads, where people want to go!

By all means tax fuel that causes environmental damage - if you spend the money raised on mitigating the damage or 'offsetting' (rather than fighting wars in the Middle East, buying nuclear submarines and warheads etc... etc...)

Nah - I don't agree with that. Get people out of cars and onto public transport is the way to go, or walk!. If this change in taxation method will help that - then I'm all for it. Might even find the population getting fitter!! :lol:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
MVC-009F.JPG

Ford Feline. :)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Knightsworld said:
Must check spelling of threads first:dunce:

Mods please remove cat and replace with car.

NO,NO,NO, leave it as cat.
I like cats. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Over 800,000 signatures now.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
tedebear said:
Nah - I don't agree with that. Get people out of cars and onto public transport is the way to go, or walk!. If this change in taxation method will help that - then I'm all for it. Might even find the population getting fitter!! :lol:

love that principle Ted but when they raise congjestion tax to 8 pounds in city and then hike tube fairs to min 4 pounds .. something is wrong becuase it dosent encourage you to use public transport

in Hong kong it costs 30 p to travel min on MTR .(underground system) max is 100 hkd for single or same day return to airport .. aprox 6.25 pounds similar journey as Heathrow express but more efficent .

buses and trams range from 12.5 p to 50 p depending on length of journey but most u pay is 50p for journey equivilant to across london .

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
ditchy said:
love that principle Ted but when they raise congjestion tax to 8 pounds in city and then hike tube fairs to min 4 pounds .. something is wrong becuase it dosent encourage you to use public transport

in Hong kong it costs 30 p to travel min on MTR .(underground system) max is 100 hkd for single or same day return to airport .. aprox 6.25 pounds similar journey as Heathrow express but more efficent .

buses and trams range from 12.5 p to 50 p depending on length of journey but most u pay is 50p for journey equivilant to across london .

What will be the incremental reduction in congestion charging and road tax though? I thought that was part of the deal? (correct me if I'm wrong please)

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
tedebear said:
What will be the incremental reduction in congestion charging and road tax though? I thought that was part of the deal? (correct me if I'm wrong please)

i wasnt aware of that Ted so apologies , but public transport still way too high and generally inefficient for it to work properly

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
ditchy said:
i wasnt aware of that Ted so apologies , but public transport still way too high and generally inefficient for it to work properly

Agree - although my logic (and bear with me) is that if we get the cars off the roads, places like London will have less traffic, thus allowing the public transport to run better (buses only obviously). Problem with the transport sytem in the Uk (roads and everything included) is its age. Everything is old and not able to cope with the volume of traffic these days. So removing cars, can only be good.

That is however, if the public transport system is maintained properly, and that private "public" transport like the Heathrow and Gatwick expresses are made affordable...

I can see the logic in the change of taxation method, however I have my doubts about the government being able to manage it correctly (ie billing/software etc) and implement the appropriate other measures to ensure it truly meets the "green" goal...

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
tedebear said:
That is however, if the public transport system is maintained properly, and that private "public" transport like the Heathrow and Gatwick expresses are made affordable...

It's not just about the cost it's also about whether the rail network could cope with the increase of public use, I'm not convinced it can.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
British Bulldog said:
It's not just about the cost it's also about whether the rail network could cope with the increase of public use, I'm not convinced it can.

I know and I agree - everything in this country was never designed to take such volume...somethings gotta give!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
tedebear said:
I know and I agree - everything in this country was never designed to take such volume...somethings gotta give!

It looks like something is starting to give, The government seem hell bent on pricing people out of travelling.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
British Bulldog said:
It looks like something is starting to give, The government seem hell bent on pricing people out of travelling.

Problem is - the cynical side of me always thinks its just another way for the government to raise revenue, but the practical and optimistic side of me says that if this were done in the right way - it could help us pay less tax and be good for the country as a whole...

Often the cynical side of me wins the argument though....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here