Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Winstanley joins Chelsea as Director of Global Talent and Transfers

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I.
It strikes me that a lot of the outrage over Potter leaving stems from the fact that managers are almost invariably sacked by the club, and therefore the supporters by proxy.
The idea of a manager leaving for a "better" opportunity turns the power dynamic on its head.
No, the annoyance (at least for me) is the timing … We always knew (those who recognise talent) that GP was on the rise and would go eventually- however 6 games into a new season, with 3 years still to run on his contract and when we where just slotting it all into place was shitty timing. What is the ‘outrage’ now, post Potter and the rest of the coaching team going to Chelsea is that the asset stripping is still going on by Chelsea and probably will continue through the transfer season in January - the only power dynamic in the PL is those that can afford to asset strip.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'll forgive the poetic license and drama because its you.
Ultimately I'm a dull, logical, pragmatist.
I just see this all as a by product of our success and see it as something that allows us to continually challenge ourselves, keep us fresh and dynamic. It means those with the financial clout to make decisions in the interest of their club can do so (to our detriment) but to their cost. It wasn't so long ago that many here were advocating for us to go after Knudsen and Potter and his team were being vilified, yes, I'll take the £21m, thanks.

I'm sure we'll have learnt from this and put stronger provision in contracts but the reality is as a club we don't stand in the way of the opportunity to develop your career. The key thing is to continue to look to strengthen the club. For example, Mac Allister signing is great news but if anyone thinks there isn't a good release clause in his contract which means we'll be saying goodbye when the money comes calling, then they are naive.

Prepare to be disappointed, or look at these things as opportunities and enjoy people whilst they're here. I know where my head is at and how I see the world.
I'm sorry that doesn't fit the narrative of Chelsea and Hove Albion but meh.
Thank you for posting this. Potter helped the club get to a much better position than when he joined. It was a delightful watch. We've now got DeZerbiball to focus on. Enjoy the ride.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Potter needs the kitchen sink thrown at him, metaphorically, not literally, on Saturday. The bloke clearly hates the club that finally made him but wants to hang around here so his wife can teach Pilates on the seafront having endured eight years living somewhere that Bejam just deliver into your garden eight months of the year and where it's either permanently dark or permanently light.

It's all Team Potter, despite the investment made into him by Tony Bloom.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

Winning makes people happy in every country.

Its what you do when you lose and/or not yet winning that builds relations between players and supporters though. Same as in relationships really, any- and everyone can be in a relationship as long as the days are just filled with cuddling and cumming but its how you treat eachother when shit gets rough that will ultimately make or break it. Being "unhappy" (like after a loss) does not mean you have to boo or scream things to the players.
What a load of shite. To even attempt to compare the two things is just ridiculous, but I suppose par for the course, for you.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Potter needs the kitchen sink thrown at him, metaphorically, not literally, on Saturday. The bloke clearly hates the club that finally made him but wants to hang around here so his wife can teach Pilates on the seafront having endured eight years living somewhere that Bejam just deliver into your garden eight months of the year and where it's either permanently dark or permanently light.

Does Beardo ever go to watch the pilates sessions, when not orchestrating asset stripping?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Thinking of making a sign saying “Graham Potter - would you like my shirt?”

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The other obvious thing to say, is that of course a big club is naturally going to want him when his stock is highest.

If we hadn’t won in 11, for example, no way would a top club have swooped. We’ve been victims of the success brought by Potter (and his team), but succession planning is hopefully going to mitigate the loss.
I would say "certainly" rather than "hopefully". De Zerbi? Maybe, maybe not. So far pretty promising. But even if things would turn out shit for Roberto, Tony would get the right man sooner rather than later.

As long as Tony Bloom is the owner, Brighton got nothing to fear really. He is the only irreplacable one.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
This sort of shit does make you question the point of going to watch footie. I know it's the reality of life,
but what is the point of trying to be good at something if, as soon as you start to show signs of success, it's
ripped away from you by the school "money" bully? I have to admit that I haven't been this season mainly because
my Dad passed away and I was left with an ill Mum and all manner of financial things to sort out. But I'm wondering
if it's really worth going back. To put it bluntly: what's the f******g point?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

GP doesn't owe Tony anything :shrug:
Thinking of making a sign saying “Graham Potter - would you like my shirt?”
That would be brilliant tbf

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
No, the annoyance (at least for me) is the timing … We always knew (those of who recognise talent) that GP was on the rise and would go eventually- however 6 games into a new season, with 3 years still to run on his contract and when we where just slotting it all into place was shitty timing. What is the ‘outrage’ now, post Potter and the rest of the coaching team going to Chelsea is that the asset stripping is still going on by Chelsea and probably will continue through the transfer season in January - the only power dynamic in the PL is those that can afford to asset strip.
Most managers have years left on their contract when they get sacked, it's part of their job.
They take the money, do the best job they can, until results turn and we tell them they're being sacked in the morning. And then they are sacked and they have to move to some hole like West Brom to start the cycle again.
It's a shit business, and if the opportunity comes you take it.
The rest of them leaving is down to Chelsea and the individuals concerned.
As I said to the previous person to reply, I've been angry over the timing. I don't think it explains all of the reaction people have had.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Everyone can stop pretending there was a good time for Potter to leave. If he finished down the table this season people would want him sacked anyway - but still a chance he moved on anyway.

If he finished 8th this season it’d be oh one more season to get us into Europe.

Any higher we’d be in Europe and then we’d blame him for abandoning us before our debut European season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
GP doesn't owe Tony anything :shrug:
Spoken like a true non Brighton fan.

TB took Potter into the Premier League, extended his contract after only a few weeks, constantly talked him up and stuck by him when he was delivering results that were just as bad as Hughton with far better players.

Bloom, in general, sticks with his Head Coach through thick and thin. Clearly the reverse doesn't apply.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
If I was anywhere near the dugout on Saturday and wasn't fussed about losing my season ticket (I won't actually be doing this Paul), I'd be waving a fist full of cash at Potter along with some very choice language

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Whilst not defending it, I really don't think it's massively different to us taking Potter, Reid, Hamberg and Reid from Swansea in one go.

When Potter moved to us, Bruno and Roberts became integrated into that coaching unit, in the same way that Gus Poyet picked up Charlie Oatway when he moved to the Albion, taking him away with him when he left.

Coaching is very much a team game, with head coach/managers often sticking with their tried-and-trusted team and moving them from club to club.

Regardless, I can't wait for the panto-style booing, hissing and "he's behind you"-ing on Saturday, Bring it on!
Not sure this is the same , Reid and Hamberg were brought to the Albion by Potter , to further add and take imo surreptitiously , Ben and Bruno however it was "arranged" is disgraceful . To then announce he is after Leo, Ali-mac , Rob and Moises is taking the wee wee .

But now he is trying to add Paul Winstanley , and heaven knows who else to his shopping list is just plain and simple taking the PISS - extracting the michael ( do we have a Michael he might want ? ) he IS treating us like a 7/11 .

I thought the guy was going down in BHAFC history for achieving what no other manager has done for us , and unfortunately i will be proved right but for the wrong damn reasons .

Look at what happened at MUFC when David Moyes took over , he got rid of all the backroom staff , and MUFC nosedived , we are them in reverse , RDZ didn`t kick Bruno and Ben out , they were taken as was ???????.......to be seen . If booing is the worst he gets then he got off lightly , we will probably lose several places in the table because of him , ALL respect gone .

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Just voted ‘no’ to booing Potter on the other thread. Having seen this, I may change my mind. This has to be down to Potter. I can only presume that they see us as some sort of threat.

It’s really appalling. If I were Tony I’d be tempted to say that we’ll let employees talk to anyone except for clubs who are breaking FFp or own d by corrupt regimes.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere

Winning makes people happy in every country.

Its what you do when you lose and/or not yet winning that builds relations between players and supporters though. Same as in relationships really, any- and everyone can be in a relationship as long as the days are just filled with cuddling and cumming but its how you treat eachother when shit gets rough that will ultimately make or break it. Being "unhappy" (like after a loss) does not mean you have to boo or scream things to the players.
There you go again you see you have absolutely no experience of going to a game in England. Try like many of us going to some wet and windy miserable northern dump on a Tuesday night in January, with little or no money just to see your team play and play badly to boot. Being 4-0 down and wondering why you bother when the 11 so called professionals didn’t.
wondering if they are laughing and joking, playing cards on a warm coach on the way home while your panicking that because the trains late will you get to catch the last train from Victoria to make it home to the south coast?And once your home thinking that you should have not gone because the mot on the car is due and pray that it somehow scraps through or that an unexpected bill drops through the letter box early and you spent the money on that trip. No Swanny, however you try to justify your point it will always been under minded by your lack of experience and emotion. You are really a voyeur to my club. Have a read of biography’s like Paul Gascoinges when he tells of 3000 plus Lazio fans attacking the players cars after training because they had lost 3 games on the trot. That’s passion mate. Misguided possibly, real? Certainly. Regrettably you just won’t get it unless you’ve invested half you life in it and of course you haven’t.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Spoken like a true non Brighton fan.

TB took Potter into the Premier League, extended his contract after only a few weeks, constantly talked him up and stuck by him when he was delivering results that were just as bad as Hughton with far better players.

Bloom, in general, sticks with his Head Coach through thick and thin. Clearly the reverse doesn't apply.
GP (and the others) kept the team in the league while being the only team making a net transfer profit since the pandemic started. There was no guarantee for that to work out. TB gave him the chance and it paid off. I don't think mr Bloom will be booing on Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here