Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Winstanley joins Chelsea as Director of Global Talent and Transfers

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Exactly what I heard. Surprised he survived an incident a few years back around the same time another PW left the club ..
Paul Warhurst, Peter Withe help me out I am rubbish and remembering people based on initials

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
See my earlier reply mate

they asked for guarantees they would be kept on by the new manager and the club couldn’t give it.

so they left

wouldnt you?
If I was good in the role I'd have stayed. So Ben Roberts would have had no problem, Bruno less so. If the manager didn't want them then big pay off and another job taken. The compensation the club received means they were tied into a contract - I'd be amazed if that contract said we can sack you whenever we want for no compo, but if you ever leave then you or your employer owe us. Who'd sign up to that?

Reactions: cjd

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Realistically speaking you are on this new account because you messed up somehow on the old one and got a crowd after you and wanted to get a new start …

I have never been a member of NSC until October 22. So no idea what you are talking about here 🙄

Up until recently I didn’t spend any time on any kind of forums, too busy with work etc. I recently was diagnosed with a progressive neurological illness which means a/ I do not work as many hours as I used to and b/ cannot get to live matches as much as I used to. Joining NSC was a way to still connect with Brighton fans and enjoy our mutual passion.

I don’t really understand the rest of your post tbh I was not trying to offend you and probably shouldn’t have had a go on an open forum but honestly I got to the point where every thread I looked at last night, was you arguing with someone! I was finding it a bit tedious tbh and had a rant.

Anyway, apologies for for having a go - ignore my short fuse your input is really valid - everyone to his own 👍🙂

As far as the thread topic, I’m kinda gutted another integral member of Albions Senior staff members has gone to the dark side 😕

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
He could have said exactly anything and people would have found issues with it. We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
He's saying all the right things at Chelsea and behaving himself. Praising the fans (when the whole country knows they are one of the worst fanbases), praising the club, when the whole world knows what a corrupt horrible outfit they are. He is saying what he realises needs to be said to maintain employment there as he knows he's vulnerable and is on a massive wedge. He wants to keep that going and knows he could be sacked at anytime and take a big backwards step in management - no big club will take him on if he bombs at Chelsea. He'd have to rebuild that reputation as everyone will believe he isn't able to deal with the big name players, all of the negative assumptions about him will have been justified in the minds of those clubs. Only a yank new to the game thought it would work etc etc. Big pressure and we are seeing the impacts of that.

I thought the respect he showed to Chris Hughton when he arrived was brilliant, made such an effort to praise what he'd achieved, what a good side he'd assembled, how he could build on that. After he'd established himself at this level, been supported through very very small improvements in league standing (slightly larger if you assume that we were in the bottom three when he arrived as he claimed....) his confidence clearly increased. With that his respect for the club seems to have decreased and his self importance increased. That culminated following his departure but there were signs before.

He clearly felt we were beneath him, which is a poor mindset and any relationship that will deteriorate when one side has that belief. As soon as a decent run of results followed then he's off. I understand that in some ways, very vulnerable job - take the chance to progress when you can. BUT, there are sensible ways to manage that and there are childish ways - he went for the latter. So have we, but we are football fans - it is all emotion, we are childish, emotional and want to vent. I bloody love venting a football, it is cathartic, I wouldn't go if I had to sit quietly clapping (sorry Paul).

If you only show respect when you feel vulnerable it indicates a very weak person. He could have risen above all this with some pretty obvious statements about the difficulty of the decision, how he wants to test himself at the very top of the game, how grateful he is for the opportunity given to him and how in time he'd like to think the supporters would understand his decision and respect what he'd achieved etc etc. But no, thinned skinned and narky is what we get - very surprising as he'd always come across as a well balanced guy, with principles and respect for others and a low ego. Shame that wasn't genuine.

The obvious response to the above is that DeZerbi is doing the same right now, saying the right things, just as Potter did originally. How real is all that, what will he do when he goes? We don't know the answer to that, but he'll get dogs abuse if he behaves as childishly as Potter.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He's saying all the right things at Chelsea and behaving himself. Praising the fans (when the whole country knows they are one of the worst fanbases), praising the club, when the whole world knows what a corrupt horrible outfit they are. He is saying what he realises needs to be said to maintain employment there as he knows he's vulnerable and is on a massive wedge. He wants to keep that going and knows he could be sacked at anytime and take a big backwards step in management - no big club will take him on if he bombs at Chelsea. He'd have to rebuild that reputation as everyone will believe he isn't able to deal with the big name players, all of the negative assumptions about him will have been justified in the minds of those clubs. Only a yank new to the game thought it would work etc etc. Big pressure and we are seeing the impacts of that.

I thought the respect he showed to Chris Hughton when he arrived was brilliant, made such an effort to praise what he'd achieved, what a good side he'd assembled, how he could build on that. After he'd established himself at this level, been supported through very very small improvements in league standing (slightly larger if you assume that we were in the bottom three when he arrived as he claimed....) his confidence clearly increased. With that his respect for the club seems to have decreased and his self importance increased. That culminated following his departure but there were signs before.

He clearly felt we were beneath him, which is a poor mindset and any relationship that will deteriorate when one side has that belief. As soon as a decent run of results followed then he's off. I understand that in some ways, very vulnerable job - take the chance to progress when you can. BUT, there are sensible ways to manage that and there are childish ways - he went for the latter. So have we, but we are football fans - it is all emotion, we are childish, emotional and want to vent. I bloody love venting a football, it is cathartic, I wouldn't go if I had to sit quietly clapping (sorry Paul).

If you only show respect when you feel vulnerable it indicates a very weak person. He could have risen above all this with some pretty obvious statements about the difficulty of the decision, how he wants to test himself at the very top of the game, how grateful he is for the opportunity given to him and how in time he'd like to think the supporters would understand his decision and respect what he'd achieved etc etc. But no, thinned skinned and narky is what we get - very surprising as he'd always come across as a well balanced guy, with principles and respect for others and a low ego. Shame that wasn't genuine.

The obvious response to the above is that DeZerbi is doing the same right now, saying the right things, just as Potter did originally. How real is all that, what will he do when he goes? We don't know the answer to that, but he'll get dogs abuse if he behaves as childishly as Potter.
I think personally you’re way off the mark with your condemnation of Potter. I was disappointed when he went, but think you are reading an awful lot in to a lot of what has been said and done. There might have been a lack of class about some of the things he said after we beat them, but even then it was A mixture of him answering direct questions and also things being taken out of context.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Personally I don't think he's at all vulnerable there. Without claiming to be particularly ITK, I once worked with a member of the new Chelsea board and he says Potter is a long-term appointment. That could all change if Boehly decides he's not, of course, but that's their thinking as of yesterday evening.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Potters ego ballooned whilst here, I think De Zerbi already has a large ego, but he has probably had it all his adult life and can handle it. I think Potter never really had much of an ego, but got high on all the plaudits and now he is on a bit of a come down he has never experienced before, because he isn't getting the universal praise that he was getting.
De Zerbi has been sacked from a big job, Potter has so far just progressed and moved when he wanted to, always been wanted, and getting Pep and Klopp blowing smoke up his arse tipped him over the edge. I think he may look back at this point in future and admit he was a bit of a dick, because ultimately I don't think he is a wanker, just didn't handle his inflated ego and is struggling with having it deflated a bit. On the other hand, he might promote half the youth team, send Aubameyang and Stirling out on loan, start climbing the table and consider himself a coaching God again.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Personally I don't think he's at all vulnerable there. Without claiming to be particularly ITK, I once worked with a member of the new Chelsea board and he says Potter is a long-term appointment. That could all change if Boehly decides he's not, of course, but that's their thinking as of yesterday evening.
If think their next game could be massive in terms of maintaining that thinking, Newcastle are capable of giving them a hiding.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I doubt it very much.

Credit to Newcastle though who spread their net for new players etc far and wide.

Chelsea ( i.e. Scumbag Potter) on the other hand only seem to have the ability to attempt to destroy the infrastructure of a club , steeped in hard work and good ethics.

May I remind you, that it was Chris Hughton who achieved the almost impossible task of turning us around from relegation candidates to a formidable Championship side and promotion to the Premier League. Boring, yes. But he helped establish us in the Premier League. He didn't do his best to f*** our club over.

Graham ( money grabbing ) Potter , managed two seasons of mediocrity and eventually after realising what every amateur pundit on here knew...that Maupay wasn't even close to premier league standard.....and finally ditched him, to discover that our recruitment team had actually saved his sorry arse. We had quality players a plenty. He failed, miserably, to work that out for two and a half seasons.

He also took two and half seasons to work out that tinkering with the side every week was yet another of his huge failures. Most amateur pundits on here pointed that out time and time again. If ever there was a case of an "Emporer with no clothes "....Potter is the man. To be fair to many Chelsea supporters on their forum....they have worked that out already. Fair play.

Thankfully, it is their turn "to suffer" and "to learn from it"....yawn.
What absolute nonsense (the second part).

Astonishing re-writing of history. Has it ever occurred to you that tinkering with the side was part of the process of eventually getting us to click? Or do you think he should have magically known which was the best side in a matchday situation and just played that right from the start of his tenure? Maupay got 8-10 goals every season for us in the Premier League, has it perhaps occurred to you that he played the right role for the level we were at at the time? Where would we have been without those goals? Because Trossard wasn't banging them in every week then. MacAllister wasn't either. I find it so bizarre what some people think high-level management is, compared to what it actually is. It's also absolutely mental so many people think that making mistakes and learning from them is somehow a negative thing. It's exactly stuff like this why Potter used to snap and say things about fans not understanding the game.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well if that's his lawn Andy, I'd like him to come around and do mine too.
Presumably he had a team of assistants, analysts and scouts to help him fulfill his very successful time at The Albion - so how many of them will he be taking with him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here