Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Winstanley joins Chelsea as Director of Global Talent and Transfers

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Has anything happened?

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Just a *bump* coz I’ve heard nothing and am curious. (generally)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
These things take time don’t you know…

OH

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I had a thought, if I was TB I'd insist Winstanley went on gardening leave for at least 2 windows so he can't pass on details of our immediate targets, this might delay things. Can't believe he won't pass on details of our scouting network, which is what really pisses me off and who suggested they come for Winstanley?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
If he had any sense I’m sure he’d look at the volatility at Chelsea and consider if it’s a good move. The fact it hadn’t happened (yet) may suggest some reservations

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I had a thought, if I was TB I'd insist Winstanley went on gardening leave for at least 2 windows so he can't pass on details of our immediate targets, this might delay things. Can't believe he won't pass on details of our scouting network, which is what really pisses me off and who suggested they come for Winstanley?
Depends what is in his contract. And do you really think Chelsea are shopping in the same pond of players we are after ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why would Chelsea be shopping at our level? I keep hearing Trossard to Chelsea although it doesn’t make sense they can buy better younger players. Unless of course Potter makes a mess of it and they don’t make top four :lolol:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Why would Chelsea be shopping at our level? I keep hearing Trossard to Chelsea although it doesn’t make sense they can buy better younger players. Unless of course Potter makes a mess of it and they don’t make top four :lolol:
I actually think that Trossard to Chelsea is looking less likely by the week. If Potter is perceived to be making Chelsea worse by bringing all his Brighton Staff in, plus Cucurella who's struggled to settle, buying another player from Brighton may not go very far in dealing with the naysayers

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I actually think that Trossard to Chelsea is looking less likely by the week. If Potter is perceived to be making Chelsea worse by bringing all his Brighton Staff in, plus Cucurella who's struggled to settle, buying another player from Brighton may not go very far in dealing with the naysayers
Trossard may well not want to go to Chelsea anyway come January, even if Potter is still hanging on in there

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Depends what is in his contract. And do you really think Chelsea are shopping in the same pond of players we are after ?
Why not? We have found some brilliant youngsters, 2 of which we sold for £90m plus in the summer. Caicedo & Mac will be worth a lot of money in a few years as would Mwepu but for his heart condition. Others are coming through. Chelsea have a model of having a large pool of players in their academy & loaned out & new owner can see money to be made. Buy low, sell high, more money in his pocket & possibly a few top players on the cheap.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not so sure it's all that clandestine is it? Given agents tout prospects with information packs and ready made videos, most of the process is assessing whether a player you're watching has attributes others have missed, not that you discover someone no one has heard of - not sure that is likely to happen in the PL. Caicedo for example, was already playing world cup qualifying games for Equador before we signed him, it's not like he wouldn't have been on others radars, it's just that they wouldn't be prepared to take the punt.

I mean Chelsea operate a satellite academy out of Lancing as they do other places. I think we'll miss Winstanley's judgement and guidance rather than any secrets.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Chelsea, under Potter, won't make top four.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Why not? We have found some brilliant youngsters, 2 of which we sold for £90m plus in the summer. Caicedo & Mac will be worth a lot of money in a few years as would Mwepu but for his heart condition. Others are coming through. Chelsea have a model of having a large pool of players in their academy & loaned out & new owner can see money to be made. Buy low, sell high, more money in his pocket & possibly a few top players on the cheap.

Boehly has also said he wants a multi club approach with one recruitment team working across all clubs. Idea is to sign promising players and move them through it and eventually onto Chelsea.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I think Potter may already be in trouble. I have heard that Boehly is talking about wanting to sign Cristiano Ronaldo, about wanting 'celebrity' players, and that is the absolute opposite of Potter's team ethic. If the 'owner' is serious about this there is a direct conflict already. Chelsea's truly horrendous, entitled 'fans' (apologies to the small percentage who are proper, I know some, but the majority are so plastic their Hong Kong labels show) are already getting on his back....

I still think that, unless you think that money is literally all that matters in a career move and that a sense of place, a feeling of stability and general job satisfaction count for nothing, Potter has made an awful mistake. I suspect that the board are making damn sure they have the right person lined up to continue the recruitment policy before they let Winstanley go - and that if Winstanley feels that the owner is going to interfere in his recruitment policy he may be better off staying with us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here