Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Winstanley joins Chelsea as Director of Global Talent and Transfers

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The fact we were going to have to have Crofts and Lallana take over the team shows how unexpected and unprepared they were for what went down. Suggests the opposite of being completely prepared.

But hard to be prepared for something that big so not their fault.

We undoubtedly got lucky there was a manager out there who wasn't contracted to a team which helped us find a replacement in a relatively short time. It made him a more favourable candidate to bring in over others who were contracted to other clubs.

Well it was unexpected to an extent but unprepared. ? Unless you’re suggesting that all new appointments have to be identified , secured and completed (with international clearance agreed) in the space of hours then not sure what you imagine a club should do if a manager leaves a few days before the next fixture.
Remember Potter left - he wasn’t sacked.

Albion had a caretaker coaching set up in place ( that was never needed) and then hired - what they say - was their first and only choice and someone they’d tracked for a long time in about a week.

What were you hoping instead ?

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The fact we were going to have to have Crofts and Lallana take over the team shows how unexpected and unprepared they were for what went down. Suggests the opposite of being completely prepared.

But hard to be prepared for something that big so not their fault.

We undoubtedly got lucky there was a manager out there who wasn't contracted to a team which helped us find a replacement in a relatively short time. It made him a more favourable candidate to bring in over others who were contracted to other clubs.
RDZ would have been on Bloom's radar, probably long before he left Shakhtar. He'll have a list of managers who would be immediately or close to immediately available with release clauses or willing clubs to let them go. You can call it lucky, I'll call it very good contingency planning. Can't be lucky that swift decisive managerial appointments keep being made.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Well it was unexpected to an extent but unprepared. ? Unless you’re suggesting that all new appointments have to be identified , secured and completed (with international clearance agreed) in the space of hours then not sure what you imagine a club should do if a manager leaves a few days before the next fixture.
Remember Potter left - he wasn’t sacked.

Albion had a caretaker coaching set up in place ( that was never needed) and then hired - what they say - was their first and only choice and someone they’d tracked for a long time in about a week.

What were you hoping instead ?
Unexpected? I heard the phrase blindsided, and to be blindsided you’re usually pretty sure that things are very settled I.E. you’re all in agreement on strategy for the forthcoming season and things are going great after SIX games. Boehly caused the upheaval and he’s now emboldened to go after other talented people. I’m sure absolutely nothing football related is unexpected (now) in the Brighton boardroom.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Unexpected? I heard the phrase blindsided, and to be blindsided you’re usually pretty sure that things are very settled I.E. you’re all in agreement on strategy for the forthcoming season and things are going great after SIX games. Boehly caused the upheaval and he’s now emboldened to go after other talented people. I’m sure absolutely nothing football related is unexpected (now) in the Brighton boardroom.

Brighton had already had interest in Potter (Spurs) , and I’m sure they expected it at some point. I’m perplexed why Chelsea didn’t get rid of Tuchel in the summer so the timing wasn’t great at all and few predicted it after just a few games - when it came. But OP insists Albion were unprepared. Disappointed maybe - but they responded as you’d expect for the Albion. What else could they do ?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
This is getting beyond a joke! Why not take Paul Barber as well and make it a full set? I have no doubt that players will leave in January. What’s the point in trying to succeed? Any glimmer of success and the big clubs tempt away our coaches and players. O K we get the message, they are telling us to “get back where we belong in the lower leagues “ :rant:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This is getting beyond a joke! Why not take Paul Barber as well and make it a full set? I have no doubt that players will leave in January. What’s the point in trying to succeed? Any glimmer of success and the big clubs tempt away our coaches and players. O K we get the message, they are telling us to “get back where we belong in the lower leagues “ :rant:
Well that’s football but not many lower league clubs will have had £100m or so put into their bank accounts for losing a manager and a left back recently.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Probably not all that accurate, but this is the reality: https://www.spotrac.com/epl/payroll/

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
What is happening is exactly what Tony Bloom said was his vision for the club. Get us to the Premier League and develop players that the biggest clubs want for substantial amounts of money to make us as a club self sufficient and he doesn't have to pump £30 million a season of his own money into the club just to keep us standing still.

Now obviously that has to be tempered slightly against not putting our place in the PL in jeopardy, so we won't be selling everyone come January, in fact unless some ridiculous offers come in TB isn't a fan of doing much business in that window so I don't think we will be seeing that many players leave.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I got it around that Sheffield Wednesday game in GP season 1.
And yet you're still here. Potter was the reason you came here. We were horrible to him and to his staff and players for no reason and he has run away (to a massive pay rise and ECL football) to escape our horrid booing.

Yet here you are, still hanging around with the fans that you say are poisonous enough to make all of the players and staff leave. You're not even getting paid, so what are you getting out of it?

Perhaps its time to admit that the fans that you try to disparage are more interesting than any others you have found on a football forum. You can't leave can you? You found friends. You shared triumphs and heartbreaks. It gave a bit of colour to your life. You... Love it.

Occasionally though, even though you love it, it annoys you beyond all reason. Perhaps because you know what is best for it and it doesn't do what you think it should. It's frustrating isn't it? Makes you want to let it know somehow?

Next time you feel this way, don't bother going to all the effort of writing out all of your poorly evidenced, deliberately provocative nonsense. Just write 'Boooooo!' We'll understand. We've been there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think anyone is clamouring for communism.

However, Potter was given time and resources by TB to fulfil his end of the project. It took the best part of three years to get us playing the way we needed to. It's taken him less than three months to move most of that resource to the guys with the bigger paychecks.

It may be how the system works but it's utterly disloyal and classless.
It's annoying. Very annoying.

I'd reserve the other epithets for someone who dumps his formerly attractive wife, mother of their kids, who backed him through thick and thin, for a younger more attractive woman, once the missus' looks fade.

This isn't remotely the same as getting a better job offer.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He’s only been there since August. And QPR are 21st in the ‘pyramid’ - Wolves are
Certainly refreshing. But the cynical part of me thinks that if it had been more money and a club a bit higher in the league…
It’s only been ten games we are far from safe if we don’t get a win anytime soon. Pretty footballs one thing results are another.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The Club carries on. They can't take that! I do think we should send back Colwill in January and say, no thank you. We don't want to be developing another club's player, especially one who treats us with such disrespect. They're clearly great admirers of what we're getting up to, which is charming, but peeling off our employees isn't very dignified. Stay classy, Chelsea.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s only been ten games we are far from safe if we don’t get a win anytime soon. Pretty footballs one thing results are another.
We went 11 games last season without winning and finished 9th - that doesn't include the 6 straight defeats either.

We likely need 23 points from 27 games. It's not exactly panic time just yet.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We went 11 games last season without winning and finished 9th - that doesn't include the 6 straight defeats either.

We likely need 23 points from 27 games. It's not exactly panic time just yet.
Who’s panicking? This is about the Wolves job them being 19th right now would probably bare no reflection on a new managers thoughts. A couple of results and it’s mid table.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Brighton had already had interest in Potter (Spurs) , and I’m sure they expected it at some point. I’m perplexed why Chelsea didn’t get rid of Tuchel in the summer so the timing wasn’t great at all and few predicted it after just a few games - when it came. But OP insists Albion were unprepared. Disappointed maybe - but they responded as you’d expect for the Albion. What else could they do ?
Yep, agree. Not unprepared. But the key people and squad more than disappointed by the appalling timing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here