Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul McShane

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Really?

I have him as a journeyman footballer who went up for a corner and happened to score. He had and has absolutely no allegiance to the Albion, and rightly so.

Indeed. When he was with us, he had an injury and went back to man utd. he allegedly told Fergie he didnt want to come back to us but was told in no undertain terms that he had no future at Old Trafford and if he wanted Championship or Premier league football he'd best come back to us and see the season out.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Really?

I have him as a journeyman footballer who went up for a corner and happened to score. He had and has absolutely no allegiance to the Albion, and rightly so.

As noted above, he didn't score it. I'm sure he'll 'reveal' that when/if he signs for Palace...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
f*** me i can't believe i'm reading some of the comments re his time with us! He was IMMENSE (yes in a crap team he stood out more easily) for us. One of our best loan signings of the last decade. In fact I think he won / was close to winning plyer of the season that yr despite only being with us half the season..?! A real talent that oozed a Man U youth type of class at champs level, who attracted interest from some big prem clubs like Villa and played in the prem with Hull.

Since then he has seemed to have a massive nosedive in form andability and has looked fairly poor in recent years and had more clubs than Tiger Woods. But don't let this tar how good he was for us - and most of us agreed. See below thread as an example:

Mcshane available for £250,000

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
He WAS player of the season. Albeit in a POOR side like Sheebo says.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
A very shrewd move by Dougie and I have to say I applaud it.

Yet ANOTHER player who understands what it means. I remain to this day unconvinced by the players and Gus knowing what this game means to us. Probably Charlie was drowned out :(

For one game only I would like McShane on our side as HE KNOWS what it means unlike those other WANKERS who turned up in Blue and White on the 27/9.

I think they all know it now and they all knew it before the end of that game.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bad news, he can't possibly be as crap as paddy McCarthy...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
He wasn't actually that great for us. Just scored that goal and became a bit of a hero.

His career demise since then would support this fact.

Player of the season ? Wasn't that bad. Mind you it wasn't hard to look better than average in that team. He really hasn't done that much since it's true. The fact that Hull are willing to loan him out speaks for itself.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Never heard a bad word about him and suddenly he signs for Palace and he is the worst player ever to wear the stripes. Listening to some people on here its like he signed for them in some bizarre revenge plot. He is an established championship player. He will always be part of Brighton history and he will always be remembered for that moment.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I've always thought that.

I was waiting at the door of the bookies to collect on this, when they opened up the next morning - desperate to get the cash in my hand before the dubious goals people changed it.

Best bet ever. I remember [MENTION=5]Turkey[/MENTION] telling me he had it as we were on the train up that afternoon, suggesting I joined in. How I laughed at him and didn't bother...... :(

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
f*** me i can't believe i'm reading some of the comments re his time with us! He was IMMENSE (yes in a crap team he stood out more easily) for us. One of our best loan signings of the last decade. In fact I think he won / was close to winning plyer of the season that yr despite only being with us half the season..?! A real talent that oozed a Man U youth type of class at champs level, who attracted interest from some big prem clubs like Villa and played in the prem with Hull.

Since then he has seemed to have a massive nosedive in form andability and has looked fairly poor in recent years and had more clubs than Tiger Woods. But don't let this tar how good he was for us - and most of us agreed. See below thread as an example:

Mcshane available for £250,000

Personally, I'm not saying a bad word about him. I'm simply saying, like most footballers, he has no affiliation with the Albion at all - we were an employer for a short period of time. Playing and scoring against Palace was him just going to work and doing his job.

The same couldn't be said for people like Mayo, El Abd and Elphick as they are Albion through and through. Most of our players and staff are not - they're just passengers on the Albion, and they'll get off sooner or later. That is why they will never feel the same way against Palace as we do.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A very shrewd move by Dougie and I have to say I applaud it.

Yet ANOTHER player who understands what it means. I remain to this day unconvinced by the players and Gus knowing what this game means to us. Probably Charlie was drowned out :(

For one game only I would like McShane on our side as HE KNOWS what it means unlike those other WANKERS who turned up in Blue and White on the 27/9.

At least El Abd is back.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Bad news, he can't possibly be as crap as paddy McCarthy...

McCarthy is a great defender, and first choice in the second best defence in the Championship.

McShane signed for a month today, confirmed by Dougie.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Never heard a bad word about him and suddenly he signs for Palace and he is the worst player ever to wear the stripes. Listening to some people on here its like he signed for them in some bizarre revenge plot. He is an established championship player

You must have been reading the wrong pages then, as I remember a thread about him fairly recently, in which the possibility of him signing for us was debated. My take on it was that he has been pretty dire for the last few years, and that he never developed into the sort of player he promised to be when he played for us. Yes, he had a good season at Withdean, but since then he's become known for mistake after mistake.

I absolutely, 100% wouldn't want him back. He sort of scored the goal against Palace, but that's it as far as I'm concerned. I'm not at all disappointed he's signed for them, in fact given what I've seen of him in the last few years, as far as I'm concerned it can only be a good thing as it increases their chances of conceding stupid goals.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
shame,but im pretty sure he has gone very much downhill last few years,tbh palace seem to be getting players in,us on the other hand......watch this space

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A selection of quotes from the Hull City board about McShane:

Could be an ex-city line-up of him and Gardner there, I say ex in the hope that he does become an ex very soon

A Gardner and McShane centre back pairing ? A centre forwards dream:lolol:

And a goalkeeper's nightmare.....

Poor old Speroni....

Can we demand that both Gardener and McShame play in central defence against us?

I was thinking part of the loan agreement could be Paul McShane and Anthony Gardner have to play central defence against us, in return we could let them have McShane without contributing towards his wages for a month When do we play them anyway?

Sky don't mention a month - dare we hope its til May?

I was meaning IF the deal became a season long loan. But yes for a month i agree. Lets hope it lasts eh ?

If he does okay(he says more in hope than expectation), then he can go back on a 93 day emergency loan and effectively stay for the rest of the season.

:lolol: :clap:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
McCarthy is a great defender, and first choice in the second best defence in the Championship.

McShane signed for a month today, confirmed by Dougie.
Fair play to you for sticking up for your player, but PM is a liability.......he's great at headers and positions well, but he's also cumbersome and accident prone (must have scored more og's than any other player, and EVERY penalty your team gives away is down to him).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here