Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Jewell - Oh dear

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Football365's take on the incident. A take that I agree with, incidentally.

"On a similar theme, many are outraged that sexism's Paul Jewell apparently did a sexism after his Ipswich side were denied a penalty by referee Robert Lewis, and lineswoman Amy Fearn.

Over to The Daily Mail: 'Jewell sparks sexism storm with rant over female assistant ref in defeat.'

Sigh. Here's what happened. It was put to Jewell in a post-match interview: "Everyone to a man thought it was a penalty."

And he responded: "To every man, but not a woman."

Read that again. "Not a woman." It's important to note that Jewell did not say "She got it wrong because she's a woman," or "What does she know about the offside law?" or "Wash my shirts and cook me a lasagne."

Again, Jewell's comments were clumsy and ill-advised, but let's not get in too much of a tizz about this, eh?"

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Again, Jewell's comments were clumsy and ill-advised, but let's not get in too much of a tizz about this, eh?"

Read in the full context you are quite correct.

Taken out of context and we have a dailymail gate in the Telegraph!

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
What a sexist pig. Everyone makes mistakes and she's had to work harder to where she's got because of discrimination in football. Paul Jewell always moans about something and he's a crap manager. Ipswich had a massive transfer budget last summer.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Criticise the lady and you're sexist, praise the lady and you're patronising.

I think in this instance Paul Jewell would have had a real pop at the assistant referee even if they'd been male.

The problem is officials generally don't work effectively together. The referee sees himself as some sort of overlord and the person running the line a mere underling. The reality needs to be more of the ref being "first among equals".

I wish FIFA would watch the officiating of NFL to see how the sport retains its integrity by getting a massively high percentage of key decisions right despite the initial call on the field often being wrong.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Alan Ball (bear with me) suggested that his way of improving officialdom would be to have the same TEAM of officials working together every week instead of effectively 3 or four strangers meeting for the first time every week.

Seems quite a logical thing to do.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Alan Ball (bear with me) suggested that his way of improving officialdom would be to have the same TEAM of officials working together every week instead of effectively 3 or four strangers meeting for the first time every week.

I find myself nodding in agreement with this, and asking why is this not common practise?

ada4bha

Jan 27, 2010

sounds like a plan to me

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
It's not sexist for Gawdsakes.
He's pointing out that she's a woman as opposed to a man not saying she's no good or doesn't know what she's talking about. I think everyone's getting a bit jumpy about anything that gets said these days !!!!
Thank Christ she wasn't black otherwise they'd be getting the gibbet ready for Jewell and asking what he'd like for his last meal !!!!

---
I am here: Google Maps
Come on you super seagulls

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Yeah, he didn't say she got it wrong because she was woman, just heavily implied it, that's ok, not sexist.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
I find the defendant NOT GUILTY

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
2303_jewel_header.jpg

Sorry, someone had to :lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
2303_jewel_header.jpg

Sorry, someone had to :lolol:

Oh jesus, I hoped I'd never have to see any of those images again, I can't even hear the bloke's name without remembering that particular tabloid expose :sick:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Read in the full context you are quite correct.

Taken out of context and we have a dailymail gate in the Telegraph!

What are you pair of fools blathering on about? Its sexist, its prob a disrepute charge, but who the f*** cares beyond sheep shaggers?

D

Deleted member 18477

How big was ipswich's budget again? BIG!! He needs to shut up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here