Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Ince's comments RE: the England team

bellsize seagull

Mar 1, 2004
north london
The national set up is a discrace and shall continue to be for many years....no one is actually ever scared to play against England anymore...very sad demise. Next Summer same old story !

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
For Sven we got the 2002 world cup quarters, 2004 euro quarters, 2006 world cup quarters. Now if he could have kept his todger in his trousers and stopped talking to fake sheiks and peter kenyon then who knows??

We've not always been poor, but we have an unrealistic view of what success should be. Albeit I do think that in terms of depth of players we are as low as I can remember given the need to look into premier league reserves and championship players and senior pros 'retiring' from the team. I remember laughing at the Welsh and the Jocks when they needed to look at the second tier to get a team together. That was 10 years ago and now we're matching them.

2004 - Euro quarters, what an achievement! There's only 16 teams in the comp!!!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
"England limped to a 1-0 win over Wales"

I'd say we ground out a 1-0 win over Wales, but there you go.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"England limped to a 1-0 win over Wales"

I'd say we ground out a 1-0 win over Wales, but there you go.
Limped is far better. Ground out suggests a certain amount of application. I don't think England applied themselves very well at all as we were f***ing shit and couldn't keep the ball in the last half an hour as the world's 117th best team ran rings around us. And Earnshaw missed a chance my granny would have tucked away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have no interest in what Paul Ince has to say, whether he is correct or not.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
2004 - Euro quarters, what an achievement! There's only 16 teams in the comp!!!

well it was better than not qualifying for it (as per 84 and 2008)

Or failure to get through the group as we did in 80 (8 teams in finals tournament), 88 and 92 and 2000.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Just add Ince to the long list of useless managers who, although they themselves have had very limited success, still find time to comment on a position they would not be able fill themselves.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As pointed out on this weeks Football Ramble.

In 2000 both England and Germany failed miserably at The Euro's.
Germany put forward a massive process of change, youth development, a % of cash going from each club to national development, the onus of club football to enhance the national game.
They are now undefeated and apparently playing their best football ever.

We open our youth academy in 2 years time.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To some degree I suspect Wales raised their game considerably more than they would have done if it was against Bulgaria or Montenegro.

I'm not bigging up England for a second as I think the team is currently dull to watch, psychologically weak and full of idiots, not to mention the laughable world 4th place ranking, but we all know how "up for it" Wales and Scotland get for games against us, simply because of their traditional minnow status and lifelong-conditioned dislike of anything English.

Principally because of that, I wasn't expecting much from the game, and I got what I expected. England weren't up to much, but it's easy to forget they did what they set out to do, ie got the three points. Wales might have had periods as the better side, but they failed largely to trouble Joe Hart, and that's why they're ranked 117th, or whatever it is these days. You can play as much football as you like, but there's a reason they're ranked so low, and it's because they're no good at winning games.

Mr Albion

Nov 7, 2003
brighton
This thing about Wembleys atmos. When it takes an hour and a quarter to
get from Baker st to Wembley and u miss the first half hour of the game due to
Tube f ups, u tend to end up rather peed orf. It's a nightmare getting into Wembley at best of times so it's no surprise
The atmos is rubbish. Factor in a rip off Wembley and Capello's England, can't think why
The atmosphere isn't spportive. I've had enough, not going again.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
IMO international football is dying a death in this country!

Champions league is far more entertaining and wouldnt surprise me if the Champs League final becomes bigger (if it isnt already) than the world cup.

Like the World Cup, once it peaks it will begin to come back down again!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think the real question is, does anyone ever actually hand out confetti?

Call me an old school alumnus but I'm still in the habit of throwing it in the air - if people want to collect it they may do so at their own leisure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here