Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Clark

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
I was at his debut at White Hart Lane in front of 48,000. He nearly scored from a long range effort that day. I think he was only about 19 but he looked about 29 even then. I think the Luton guy whose leg he broke was Lil Fucillo although it could have been Paul Futcher. It definitely wasn't Paul Fucillo! He was a bit in the Whiteside mould. He was big and strong at a very young age but I can remember very little about him after his first season or so. I think it is being a wee bit kid to call him a legend.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was there when he broke Fucillo's leg too (I agree with FB, I think he was Lil). The awesome thing about it was that it was a perfectly fair tackle, there was no free kick, let alone a booking. But hearing the crack echo around the ground was sickening.

He was always Tank, I never heard him being called Killer.

Great player, one of my Albion faves.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Jambo Seagull said:
I was at his debut at White Hart Lane in front of 48,000. He nearly scored from a long range effort that day. I think he was only about 19 but he looked about 29 even then. I think the Luton guy whose leg he broke was Lil Fucillo although it could have been Paul Futcher. It definitely wasn't Paul Fucillo! He was a bit in the Whiteside mould. He was big and strong at a very young age but I can remember very little about him after his first season or so. I think it is being a wee bit kid to call him a legend.

That is one of my most memorable games. Paul Clark was awesome in defence (19 going on 29) as you say Jambo. He was described as having a "Viking Warrior" type look and played with the same attitude. Hard wasn't the word, he was more than that. Incidentally on his debut at White Hart Lane I can't recall Clark "going backwards" he just stood his ground in a entertaining 0-0 draw, the best I've ever seen.

He looked like Bjorn Borg in an 'Incredible Hulk' suit. He was an evil Michelin Man who ploughed in regardless of any opposing intent.
Not exactly highly skilled, but after watching EVERY bleedin' opposing team bring on a talentless moron sub to crock Wardie, it was comforting to know that we always had one bloke to keep their moron shitting himself and suddenly NOT quite so dedicated about crocking Ward !

Clark more than filled his position, and I was there for the 'crack that was heard all around the ground' too.

Did anyone else sort-of expect him to go in after any black player? I had my suspicions !

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
He was quality, just what we need now. A ballwinner who could pass it as well.
I remember him scoring the winner up at Fulham in 79.

Brady's Old Lady

Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Perry Milkins said:
Scored a great goal against Spurs at home that season as well.

I remember that! He seemed to run the whole length of the pitch - none of that poncy dancing past players - he just mowed them down - then let loose from the penalty area.

He had a lucrative sideline starring as an extra in Viking films I believe

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
cheshunt seagull said:
Last time I saw him was when he was part of the management team at Orient, about 3 years ago, don't know whether he is still there.

He was there as assistant to Tommy Taylor from 1996 to 2001, having followed him from Cambridge. He stayed on under Paul Brush for a month and left, don't know where he's gone now.

Luton player with the broken leg was Pasquale Fucillo, known as Lil.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Jambo Seagull said:

Me too Jambo.

Some of us seagulls fans didn't think we were going to get out alive that day. Especially those of us who arrived late and had to stand in front of the Shelf! :eek:

For once, I was happy for a 0-0!

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Buzza said:
Me too Jambo.

Some of us seagulls fans didn't think we were going to get out alive that day. Especially those of us who arrived late and had to stand in front of the Shelf! :eek:

That was the day that Spurs fans "ambushed" a Tube train full of Albion supporters and wrecked it.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Buzza said:
Me too Jambo.

I was at that game too. See earlier thread about "Scariest Moments at Football Matches".

Brighton Pussies?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here