Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber's programme article about standing

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The rules and ground regulations that are the same at every all seater stadium ?

Looking earlier, it appears the terms and conditions of ticket sales at brighton define 'ground regulations' as the ground regulations set out by the premier league and the football league.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
To the right of 'reply with quote' is a small blue square with a " and a +, if you click that it changes to note it has been selected. Once you've selected all the posts you want, click 'reply to thread' at the bottom (just above the quick reply box).

The rules and ground regulations that are the same at every all seater stadium ?

Hee hee. Thanks, Acker!

In the Premiership and Championship, Grimsby.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Seriously, the North Stand is possibly not as loud as you think it is. Please take this as constructive when I write this, I sit a little closer to the north than the south, in the WSM (1901 tier) so in a good position to make these observations.

This is not a slag off to the North Stand, I promise, it isn't, but I really don't think that the North Stand all sitting down and not singing would ruin the atmosphere at the Amex, I think you would be quite suprised at how much noice comes from the rest of the ground.

Much as it pains me, most away fans with a decent following, have been louder than the North Stand. Palace were comprehensively louder than the North Stand were at any time on Sunday when they were on song. Chelsea, pre-season, in the WSU, were by far the loudest anyone has been at the Amex*. Parts of the North are superb, but by no means is it the whole stand. Get the rest of the stand to join in, because at the moment you're just not all singing at the same time. When the WSU joins in, and the East, then of course it is a superb atmosphere, and hardly any of the West, or East are standing up.

* please note, these are my observations, from where I sit, WSM (1901 tier), towards the north, halfway between the centre line and the penalty D. As so many of you are fond of saying, we sit in silence with our prawn sandwiches, so I can judge the volume coming from the various stands quite easily.

(BTW, we are not that quiet, I still have a raw voice from Sunday).

This is probably about spot on.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As others have said or implied, you need to get over yourself. This perpetual idea that the ground would be like a morgue if wasn't for the good souls in the NS who sing is getting beyond a joke.

This is a reasonable point. The West Upper was loud and (largely) seated on Sunday. You really couldn't test it either way though!

I agree with this but unfortunately I don't think that some of those that are so vociferous about their perceived rights understand how more effective it would be to get the law changed rather than persist with a confrontation with the club.

I wouldn't say people have perceived rights. They were told by the club at their original presentation they could stand. The away fans stand. Fans in the home ends of many of our rivals and all the Prem games I watch stand. It IS an issue for the club because their current interpretation of the rules is inconsistent with what they said and what others do.

You continually ignore all the rules or requirements of the safety certificate.

So do the club because the away fans stand. Is it safe for them but unsafe for the NS? I don't get it.

Semantics though really isn't it?

No it's the law of the land. Just not what you and HovaGirl would like the law to be.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
DI hope the club fans the flames by putting on an anti-standing public information film on the big screens. It could run like this:

(Scene: Man standing up at a table in a restaurant. Fellow guests look embarrassed.)
Voiceover: 'You wouldn't eat your restaurant meal standing up.'

(Scene: cuts to a scene in a bus where people ignore unoccupied seats to stand instead)
Voiceover: 'You wouldn't stand in a bus when there's an empty seat'

(Scene: cuts to cinema where a man stands up and obscures the view of those behind him)
Voiceover: 'You wouldn't stand up at the cinema'

(Scene: cuts to a packed stand at a football match where some supporters are standing)
Voiceover: 'So why do you think it's acceptable to behave like this?

Persistent standing - let's kick it out'

(Chorus of James' 'Sit Down' comes on before it fades)

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Had some very interesting conversations with him on the subject recently: very much hoping that the 'live and let live' policy in evidence at the Palace game will continue. I think he is a reasonable man who is trying to balance his responsibility as the CEO of the Albion at a time when safe standing is still illegal (though, as has been pointed out, standing in a seated area is not) with the reality of evidence of a changing mood among legislators and the fact that people are standing at just about every other ground in the country.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just got around to reading it. Very fair and reasoned comments. Basically he is saying SIT DOWN and giving all the reasons why it is necessary.

So the message to our North Stand fans is clear, and I thoroughly endorse it:
- Sit Down
- Stop assaulting stewards ... what kind of scummy Albion fans assault our own stewards?

I was always 100% for standing for games, but you know what, I've got used to sitting and it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the game.

I guess you North Standers who won't sit down need to piss off and find another club to support. Crawley is just up the A23, Worthing to the west, Lewes to the east. Go and watch their brand of football and you can stand for the entire game. But please don't continue to stand at the Amex, assault our stewards, endanger our safety certificates and cost the club unnecessary money.

You might not like it, but unfortunately you're going to have to accept that this is the way it's going to be.

Sermon zzzzzzzzz

You speak as if your opinion is critical to everyone in this world.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Hee hee. Thanks, Acker!

In the Premiership and Championship, Grimsby.

The Football League regulations also applies to all seater stadia in League 1 and League 2. For instance , this season Coventry City fans don't have special dispensation to stand up just because their club is in League 1.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Just got around to reading it. Very fair and reasoned comments. Basically he is saying SIT DOWN and giving all the reasons why it is necessary.

So the message to our North Stand fans is clear, and I thoroughly endorse it:
- Sit Down
- Stop assaulting stewards ... what kind of scummy Albion fans assault our own stewards?

I was always 100% for standing for games, but you know what, I've got used to sitting and it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the game.

I guess you North Standers who won't sit down need to piss off and find another club to support. Crawley is just up the A23, Worthing to the west, Lewes to the east. Go and watch their brand of football and you can stand for the entire game. But please don't continue to stand at the Amex, assault our stewards, endanger our safety certificates and cost the club unnecessary money.

You might not like it, but unfortunately you're going to have to accept that this is the way it's going to be.
Assaulting the stewards? From what I've witnessed it's those stewards who are the aggressors. They lie and make false allegations to achieve their goals.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
Wow are we really having this debate again? Every single week without fail! Stand untill told otherwise and don't complain when you are! Lets not keep moaning about a safe standing area, it WON'T happen for a long long time!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I used to think that the only way to get a decent atmosphere at a football stadium was to allow standing, but I realise now that is rubbish. Fans make just as much noise sitting down ... WSU is pretty good.

Take the example of American sports. Plenty of atmosphere at (American) Football and Baseball games with all fans seated.

I'm afraid those of you who think that standing = atmosphere are just plain wrong. Get over it. Sit down in the nice comfortable Amex seats and enjoy the game.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Do Welsh male voice choirs sit down when singing ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I wouldn't say people have perceived rights. They were told by the club at their original presentation they could stand. The away fans stand. Fans in the home ends of many of our rivals and all the Prem games I watch stand. It IS an issue for the club because their current interpretation of the rules is inconsistent with what they said and what others do.

No it's the law of the land. Just not what you and HovaGirl would like the law to be.

If you read all the threads on this subject (I think there has been at least one previous one!!!!) then you will have seen people banging on about their right to stand or their right to chose to stand blah blah blah. At my presentation it was very clearly said that the club would be more tolerant for the back four rows only yet take a look at the north stand and there are far more standing.

Not sure what you mean by law of the land. Thought it has clearly been established that it is not against the law to stand (ie not a criminal act) but that it is in breach of ground conditions which each supporter is signing up to when they buy a ticket. The net effect however is that whichever way you look at it, technically you are not allowed to persistently stand at the ground.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Drew, again what gives? Why the anti stand brigade? You're not in the north, doesnt bother you, nothing to do with you, yet you continue to fight them on the standing. Weird. Strange.

I CALL for a North Stand Singing Strike!
Lets do it, when there's a lull in the game and no noise, you can rely on the WSU or the trusty old East for your noise.

STRIKE!!!!!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I'm afraid those of you who think that standing = atmosphere are just plain wrong.

Well, bugger me! All these years I've been deluding myself that I have a far better experience at a match/gig etc. by standing up, when in fact I was missing out on the joys of seats. If only you had told me earlier, my life would have been so enriched.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I used to think that the only way to get a decent atmosphere at a football stadium was to allow standing, but I realise now that is rubbish. Fans make just as much noise sitting down ... WSU is pretty good.

Take the example of American sports. Plenty of atmosphere at (American) Football and Baseball games with all fans seated.

I'm afraid those of you who think that standing = atmosphere are just plain wrong. Get over it. Sit down in the nice comfortable Amex seats and enjoy the game.

WSU stand when it gets loud. Generally there's a group in the centre of the singing that are up and encouraging others to join in. you are wrong.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Well, bugger me! All these years I've been deluding myself that I have a far better experience at a match/gig etc. by standing up, when in fact I was missing out on the joys of seats. If only you had told me earlier, my life would have been so enriched.

This, You're so right. Why Stand at a concert when the mosh pit and atmos is actually in the seats?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here