Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Patience

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Last night was rather surreal in a number of ways - I still can't quite get used to watching the Albion scoring four goals every week, still less knowing at half time that we will win at a stroll. Clearly this won't be the case every match, as to be honest Plymouth were very average. However, the thing that I really noticed last night was the PATIENCE we all showed. OK, it was rather quiet, but earlier in the season I'm sure a performance like that would have been greeted with choruses of "Get rid of it" as Greer and El Abd passed it around at the back. I think we have learned that Gus knows best!

And, incidentally, despite missing two or three gilt-edged chances, I thought Barnes had a really good game - his movement off the ball is fantastic, and he has a good football brain. OK, not everything comes off, but at least he keeps trying.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Totally agree with that.

It is very odd to watch a game and not feel for one moment that we will do anything other than win. When we went 2-0 up it felt inevitable. Surreal as you say.

As for Barnes - he does miss chances but you're right abouthis football brain. He makes great runs to open up defences or make space - he makes lovely little passes and lay-offs. If only he tucked a few more of the chances away... but give him time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As it was Plymouth we were playing, Barnes was desperate to score against them and was trying too hard. If he had relaxed, he would have put at least one of those chances away.
I feel confused at the moment as I am desperate to leave Withdean and get into our new home but all the time we are winning matches so convincingly, I don't want this season to end.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
All of the above, spot on.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Absolutely loving watching games at Withdean this season. Is nothing short of a privilege to see this team play.

Am a little nervous all the while it's goaless but we don't seem to take long to break the deadlock and from then on it's the most calm and relaxed viewing I've ever experienced

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Barnes needs to get over the ball when he hits it ........................................

I'm glad someone has finally told him. He's been playing the game for all this time without being given such advice. ???

In a few years time, he'll have the ice in his veins that strikers need when presented with chances. Or, he won't and he'll be gone and playing somewhere else. I like him though, if he does miss chances, he'll work hard for the team. He has scored some important goals this season (Exeter away surely being the headline act!), and will score some more important goals. He's a young man learning his trade at a good club who can afford to carry a striker who is inconsistent with his young age. His work rate earns him the right to be given patience and time in my opinion. If he missed a hatful of chances and then didn't work, it would be different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here