Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

passport and visa help required

Oct 25, 2003
basically, me and my MATES are going to BERLIN this summer......we have a CHINESE friend, who hasn't been in britain long enough to qualify for a UK passport.....are we allowed to take him without him getting a visa or something?

Oct 25, 2003
thats a fair point actually, does civil partnerships count as equal to "normal" marriages when it comes to getting immigrants passports?

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
I can ask my Chinese flatmate when she gets back. Although, she's from Hong Kong, so that may make a difference.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
ginadim said:
I can ask my Chinese flatmate when she gets back. Although, she's from Hong Kong, so that may make a difference.

Maybe I'm being thick but why would she be chinese and from hong kong?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Basically you've got two choices. Either put him in the back of a shipping container or sell him to a cockle picking gang boss, and then bust him out when you get there. That's how the Triads do it over here anyway.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Shouldn't be a problem, you can get Chinese takeaways anywhere now. :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Funnily enough I've just got back from Berlin (I'm moving there in July).

I've got a book called 'Living and Working in Germany' which is aimed at UK citizens, it does mention that residents of 'most Asian countries' will require a visa to enter the country for any reason. Prob best to check the German embassy website.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
You might want to check whether his status in the UK is affected by him going to Germany, shouldn't be as we are all members of the European Union, it would be terrible if he couldn't get back in again.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
turienzo's lovechild said:
basically, me and my MATES are going to BERLIN this summer......we have a CHINESE friend, who hasn't been in britain long enough to qualify for a UK passport.....are we allowed to take him without him getting a visa or something?

but more importantly will your new police record effect you going ???

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Re: Re: passport and visa help required

Gazwag said:
but more importantly will your new police record effect you going ???

British citizens have an EEA passport, no criminal record checks on entering other EEA countries.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I have arisen from my death bed to pass on this info:

a) Hong Kong is now China
b) Your Chinese friend will need a visa to do anything in Europe - from wiping his botty to going to Germany. UNLESS he still holds a Hong Kong Special Administration region passport.
c) He must look at the terms of his student visa to ensure he is allowed back in the UK.

That is all..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here