Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking Ticket Help Please

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
I parked on a large lump of mud or waste ground adjacent to double yellow lines. Therefore, my car was not on or touching the yellow lines, or on the highway. However, I was given a Penalty Notice from our friends in the Parking Office in Brighton. I appealed but they said that the double yellow lines extend in theory to the next natural barrier, i.e. say all the way to a fence or wall. Is this right? I argued that if cars park on the pavement in Elm Grove surely why don't they get a ticket? Told that is a special dispensation road as the pavement is wide. My fine has now increased to £70 do I still fight it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What exactly has this got to do with Aston Villa, may I ask ?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Maybe he parked to hand his application in.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
If any council bloke said to me 'in theory' i would laugh in his face and tell him 'in theory' he is being a ****. fight it because 'in theory' you had no way of knowing this at the time you parked as it was not clearly displayed or marked.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I parked on a large lump of mud or waste ground adjacent to double yellow lines. Therefore, my car was not on or touching the yellow lines, or on the highway. However, I was given a Penalty Notice from our friends in the Parking Office in Brighton. I appealed but they said that the double yellow lines extend in theory to the next natural barrier, i.e. say all the way to a fence or wall. Is this right? I argued that if cars park on the pavement in Elm Grove surely why don't they get a ticket? Told that is a special dispensation road as the pavement is wide. My fine has now increased to £70 do I still fight it?

Firstly make sure you appeal and ask for a personal hearing NOT a judgement by post.

Your description isn't very clear but the lines do not extend to the next natural barrier - they cover the highway and only the highway. So, if you were parked on the pavement completely then they can't ticket you but if only two of your wheels are on the pavement then they can. That said they could potentially remove your car as an obstruction if you park on the pavement.

The advice is always the same if there is any doubt whatsoever - APPEAL, APPEAL and APPEAL.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Thanks here is a pic.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Appeal, appeal, appeal - that isn't a parking offence. The lines indicate you can't park on the ROAD !!!! Look at the end of the double yellows - note the termination line - it shows that it is an offence to park left of the kerb. Incidently, if the termination line wasn't there and the double lines just stopped then the lines would be unenforceable.

It's an offence to park on the pavement, regardless of whether there are yellow lines on the road.

I don't know whether this is an offence that is enforced by the council or the police. You could always ask.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Surely from that pic it's not pavement?

seagullsurfer

Feb 28, 2009
I have just consulted my other half who says the highway runs 'from hedgerow to hedgerow' and the only way that your offence would not be enforceable is if the dirt where you parked was private land.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
I have just consulted my other half who says the highway runs 'from hedgerow to hedgerow' and the only way that your offence would not be enforceable is if the dirt where you parked was private land.

Thank you. That is what they basically said however I cannot see anywhere where it says that. He mentioned the Highway Code but even that only seems to say "on".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here