Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking near the sea.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I need to park my car as close to the sea as possible tomorrow preferably in Brighton and preferably, but not essentially, free. It's been many years since ive been down there but there used to be a small car park at the end (marina end) of madera drive where the old black rock lido used to be....is that still there ?

The reason is....before we get any Reggie Perrin conspiracies, is i need to collect about 30 gallons of sea water. I keep tropical marine fish and i want to try natural sea water for my water changes....which should, in theory, be absolutely perfect apart from the temperature.

Any suggestions ?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
My suggestion would be to ask where the cleanest sea water on the south coast can be found, then fill your tank from there, would be doubtful if it were Brighton...my tip would be somewhere like Clymping, not far from Littlehampton.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
think you'll be quite suprised just how clean the water is off Brighton. there's a few criteria to think about....no outflow pipes, no heavy marine traffic (i know about the marina but the sea tends to flow from west to east) and it shouldn't be collected after rain.

Was thinking of saltdean or rottingdean but it's a bit of a trek with 6 five gallon drums.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
bit late now but you could park near the lighthouse at Shoreham - about 15m from sea at high tide

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The answer is Bosham.

Park in the road outside the Anchor Blue at low tide, sink a few beers and you will have collected all the seawater you need by full tide. As an aside I once saw Keith Richard in there, my mother-in-law (now deceased) was strangely more impressed with Tommy Boyd who was propping up the bar.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Why not drive down the A26 to Seaford? All the parking is free and right next to the beach.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There's a free car park at shoreham harbour. You'd be much better getting your water in the summer as the UV light kills bacteria and the sewage isn't churned up so much by the waves.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Is it legal to take sea water as I wanted some pebbles and was told it is illegal to take them off of the sea shore. Not that it made any difference!

Pebbles, yes, is illegal (I think the crown owns all the foreshores, or something) - water, I doubt it somehow ... you could be taking a French bit !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I also read that you cannot remove seaweed either because the councils have contracts with farmers etc to remove it. I wanted some for my allotment so a carrier bag full wouldnt be any good.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The council owns the beach I beleive which is why you cant take the pebbles, but the water is fair game

The land above the high-water mark is owned by whoever owns the adjacent land, the councils in many cases, but not necessarily. The land betwen the low-water and high-water marks are owned by the crown.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Rottingdean has a launch ramp, so you could effectively back down to within inches, of the water and just lift into the back of said vehicle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here