Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Parking Eye- Liars

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Going off topic but this week I’ve seen a few nice clean cars with very dirty numberplates. Looks like they’ve splashed milkshake on the plate so dirt sticks to it. I’m guessing this is confuse ANPR systems? Is it legal?
No

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Lots have said ignore it, probably not a good idea.
As for going to court, look at the evidence.
Item 1 picture of you entering. But your judgeship, I was not there sir. What evidence do you have. Whatsapp. No that's not going to work. That is clearly you entering.
I'd stick with the Asda store. Get it cancelled first then make a big thing about it.
Also try the Argus. If you send them the pictures and a ready made script they'll print it online.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
On Saturday I went to meet an old work friend at the Marina. I was aware of the two hour parking rule.

I arrived just after midday and was out with a couple of minutes or so to spare just gone 14.00

Today, a notice arrives claiming I entered the car park at 11.08, and hour earlier than I did. This is a blatant lie. It says I parked for 2 hours 57 minutes and not 1 hour 57 minutes.

So this is not just a case of wanting to get off a fine. This is a case of a false accusation being made. What to do ?

Yours,

Very Miffed of Queen's Park.
If it’s One Parking Solution, they sent me a picture 3 years ago of my car entering a car park with my number plate clearly showing. They had however doctored the photo as the font was different and the manufactures name on my number plate was not on the picture. I don’t know if Lady Seagull still helps but I would dispute it stating you do not know the driver’s identification but understand that the driver can prove he/she did not enter the car park at that time. Whatever you do,DO NOT PAY THESE SCUMBAGS. They can only enforce the “fine” by taking legal action which I suspect they won’t do.

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
Terrible advice.

Parking Eye are one of the companies that can and do take people to court.

If you want to potentially go to court, or destroy your credit rating, or answer to bailiffs asking for money multiple times what they're currently asking for - ignore the letters and refuse to pay.

Parking Eye operate for Brighton & Hove City Council. They aren't a small cowboy firm - they are a big firm that take these charges very seriously and they do pursue them, successfully.
Ok. Have about 25 parking fines from these companies dating back to 2015. I just get random letters from various legal companies threatening me. Straight in the shredder. Move on. If it’s a PCN then you need to contest or pay.

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
Terrible advice.

If you want to potentially go to court, or destroy your credit rating, or answer to bailiffs asking for money multiple times what they're currently asking for - ignore the letters and refuse to pay.

Parking Eye operate for Brighton & Hove City Council. They aren't a small cowboy firm - they are a big firm that take these charges very seriously and they do pursue them, successfully.
To add to my previous post. They are bullies and most people cave in

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
When we were at the end of a long night and talking utter crap with mates someone asked if you could bring in a minor law of your choosing what would it be? I answered that I would make any parking firm that’s loses an appeal pay a compensation payment of the same amount they were going to charge the victim for wasting their time, causing stress and threatening people with all sorts of crap over something they’ve not done.

Seems too easy to just chuck a load of “fines” threatening to ruin peoples credit rating and worse and have no consequences at all when they are proved wrong.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I don’t work for Asda I work for another supermarket but all of our car parks are monitored by Parking Eye too. I’ve got a business contact I can give you , just say you work for Asda and they should cancel the fine. Feel free to PM.

EDIT - just read the whole thread and that they’ve said they’ll cancel it for you. But if they don’t come through for some reason, happy to help

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
1) Just stop being angry and go and sort it out with Asda as they have agreed.
2) If you ignore it, Parking Eye will take you to court. Please just follow option 1.
3) Ignore the other advice on here that the Marina car park doesn't issue tickets for exceeding 4 hrs. They do as my son will testify!
I’ve parked in the marina all day loads of times (when going on boat fishing trips) and never had a ticket.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Terrible advice.

A parking ticket in ASDA is just an invoice, the only way your credit record could be affected, or the bailiffs come around, is if the parking company take you to court, the court rule in favour of the parking operator and you then subsequently refuse to pay.

Last edited:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Its is best not to 'ignore' but there is a process to follow when communicating with the parking operator which is laid out here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.co...ket-old-or-new-read-these-faqs-first-thankyou

The original poster should not do anything or contact anyone about it until they have read the above thread. The parking operators are generally cowboys who are only interested in one thing which is extorting money from motorists, the more parking fines the better for them as it's what their business model is based on. As a result T&C's/ signage/ appeals processes etc are often purposefully complicated and difficult to understand, communication is designed to appear to be more official than it is and to scare people in to paying, its also common for them to pass you on to 'fictional debt collection companies' and add extra charges which are unenforceable in court. You cant appeal to their better nature and you should never admit anything.

The quickest way to get them cancelled is usually to complain to the landowner, which many people have already suggested on here.

Last edited:

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Good post above. As are most of the replies.

Some of you know and it's no secret that I'm Coupon-mad on MSE (author of the MSE NEWBIES sticky thread and the Template court defence thread there).

I've never lost a case when speaking as a lay rep for Defendants in court v private parking companies (PPCs).

A bit of background:

I'm also on the Government Steering Group that has been shaping the Private Parking statutory Code of Practice since 2020. That work (unpaid but eye-opening hours of virtual meetings with the parking industry and others) was completed in 2022. But then it was cynically blocked by the moneymen - PPCs & their pet debt crawlers - via Judicial Reviews. The JRs were basically funded by tens of thousands of clueless victims who pay, thinking they have a fine (sigh...it is just an unsolicited invoice).

The statutory Code is not dead; just waiting on Angela Rayner's MHCLG now to finalise it. The 'joint Code' trumpeted last month on BBC news is NOT it! That's a cleverly timed but IMHO cynical smoke & mirrors attempt by the two rival Trade Bodies, who colluded to create a watered down version. I suspect in the hope of hoodwinking Labour Ministers in the MHCLG to just run with that version.

Errr. No. Won't happen on my watch.

Anyhoo...

My take on this one:

- ParkingEye have clearly set one camera clock an hour out when doing some maintenance that day. Unusual but I've seen this error before - from NCP - and I kicked up a stink to the British Parking Association: all PCNs on the date affected were quashed. The explanation was exactly as some have guessed: one ANPR camera is synched to BST and the other to -1 hour. A maintenance issue at this site, soon spotted. I reckon ParkingEye already know about this.

- complaining to Asda is the right first step. With any private PCN, landowner complaint is always 'PLAN A' before even thinking about the farce the industry call 'appeal'.

- getting this in the Argus is a great idea. Jody Doherty-Cove has written articles about PPCs before. Mainly about One Parking Solution due to them being local. He might still be at the Argus? They might well print a piece about this. It would be good to expose it because some saps (and Lease firms or Fleet Managers) will have stupidly just paid, like it's a fine. Daft but true.

- Many PPCs do sue people. Don't shred the letters. DO IGNORE PPC DEBT CRAWLERS - A COMPLETE WASTE OF SPACE. But open all letters to check for a court claim form. Tell them if you move house, of course, and always update your V5C address, not just your driving licence.

- Both ParkingEye and One Parking Solution (they are different companies) are known to litigate - as many PPCs now do - but as long as you defend, you are not risking a CCJ even if you lose, which almost nobody on MSE does. Very easy to defend. I wrote the Template Defence used on MSE and it works. I do these cases every day on MSE and I occasionally rock up in person at Brighton, Worthing or Lewes courts.

But this one will be easy to cancel.

I would love to see this story in the Argus though. The PPC industry is considered by MPs, Motoring groups and those in the know to be rotten to the core.

IMHO and based on my 15 years or so of fighting PPCs, they deserve all the bad press they get. Especially firms that use ANPR without bothering to do sufficient checks.

This issue should have been spotted BEFORE harvesting hundreds of Asda shoppers' DVLA data that day. The sheer numbers will have been huge.

They had no reasonable cause to get your data.

Go for it, OP!

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I'm also on the Government Steering Group that has been shaping the Private Parking statutory Code of Practice since 2020. That work (unpaid but eye-opening hours of virtual meetings with the parking industry and others) was completed in 2022.

- Both ParkingEye and One Parking Solution (they are different companies) are known to litigate - as many PPCs now do - but as long as you defend, you are not risking a CCJ even if you lose, which almost nobody on MSE does. Very easy to defend. I wrote the Template Defence used on MSE and it works. I do these cases every day on MSE and I occasionally rock up in person at Brighton, Worthing or Lewes courts.

IMHO and based on my 15 years or so of fighting PPCs, they deserve all the bad press they get. Especially firms that use ANPR without bothering to do sufficient checks.
Thank you for all you do.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Don't you get four hours free parking at the Marina Car Park (the one above the cinema)? You should just pay the fine imho for the shame of being so close and yet so far from ample free parking time.
IT'S NOT A FVCKING FINE !!!!!!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I know it's a different company and situation but I have twice had to appeal penalty charges from the Dartford Crossing and both times they just accepted my explanation, not even supported by any evidence.

Maybe just try giving them a call explaining it to them as a first action? If the cameras were out of sync then they are probably aware as you won't. E the only one.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017

Some of you know and it's no secret that I'm Coupon-mad on MSE (author of the MSE NEWBIES sticky thread and the Template court defence thread there).

I've never lost a case when speaking as a lay rep for Defendants in court v private parking companies (PPCs).

A bit of background:

I'm also on the Government Steering Group that has been shaping the Private Parking statutory Code of Practice since 2020. That work (unpaid but eye-opening hours of virtual meetings with the parking industry and others) was completed in 2022. But then it was cynically blocked by the moneymen - PPCs & their pet debt crawlers - via Judicial Reviews. The JRs were basically funded by tens of thousands of clueless victims who pay, thinking they have a fine (sigh...it is just an unsolicited invoice).

The statutory Code is not dead; just waiting on Angela Rayner's MHCLG now to finalise it. The 'joint Code' trumpeted last month on BBC news is NOT it! That's a cleverly timed but IMHO cynical smoke & mirrors attempt by the two rival Trade Bodies, who colluded to create a watered down version. I suspect in the hope of hoodwinking Labour Ministers in the MHCLG to just run with that version.

Anyhoo...

My take on this one:

- ParkingEye have clearly set one camera clock an hour out when doing some maintenance that day. Unusual but I've seen this error before - from NCP - and I kicked up a stink to the British Parking Association: all PCNs on the date affected were quashed. The explanation was exactly as some have guessed: one ANPR camera is synched to BST and the other to -1 hour. A maintenance issue at this site, soon spotted. I reckon ParkingEye already know about this.

- complaining to Asda is the right first step. With any private PCN, landowner complaint is always 'PLAN A' before even thinking about the farce the industry call 'appeal'.

- getting this in the Argus is a great idea. Jody Doherty-Cove has written articles about PPCs before. Mainly about One Parking Solution due to them being local. He might still be at the Argus? They might well print a piece about this. It would be good to expose it because some saps (and Lease firms or Fleet Managers) will have stupidly just paid, like it's a fine. Daft but true.

- Many PPCs do sue people. Don't shred the letters. DO IGNORE PPC DEBT CRAWLERS - A COMPLETE WASTE OF SPACE. But open all letters to check for a court claim form. Tell them if you move house, of course, and always update your V5C address, not just your driving licence.

I would love to see this story in the Argus though. The PPC industry is considered by MPs, Motoring groups and those in the know to be rotten to the core.

This issue should have been spotted BEFORE harvesting hundreds of Asda shoppers' DVLA data that day. The sheer numbers will have been huge.

Go for it, OP!
Sounds like you devoted much of your life’s work to this. A great cause which I’m sure has helped so many along the way! Thanks :)

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Glad it is getting cancelled, I am a pretty easy going kind of a guy, especially when full but I hate these parking operators with a passion.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023

A bit of background:

Anyhoo...

My take on this one:

Go for it, OP!
It isn’t often you come across a real life super hero, this is amazing work! Thank you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here