Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking at the Amex........ or close by?!!

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Last season I started walking to Withdean from Brighton Station. Used to take about 45 mins, was followed by a nice hour and a half sit down (mostly) and TBH it was the ONLY exercise I did all year.

It's just under 4 miles to Falmer from Brighton Station and will probably take about 1 hr 15. With the added incentive of a beer in the bar on arrival, unless it's pissing down I might try and do the same.

I have a feeling that it will take a bit more than an hour and fifteen!

Sent from my HTC Desire

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I know a couple of people who thinking of parking somewhere along lewes road then jumping on either B&H bus or the big Lemon.

I would be very surprised if Big Lemon is still going when the stadium opens. They reckon they need to raise 25k in donations to keep going, and so far have £600. The summer holiday lack of students will kill them off sadly, I reckon.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
These are CPZs as defined in the planning consent, not resident parking zones etc that the council implement and have statutory penalties etc.
We probably won't know until details of the clubs transport plan/scheme are made available where these will be and how they are to be controlled (only Falmer village is specifically mentioned in the consent). However, it is clear that B&HCC has a contingency plan for the Moulsecoomb area if the club's CPZ match day scheme proves to be unsuccessful. The poster you refer to works in Planning btw.

To go back to the point I made in the previous post. If it's not a statutory CPZ, how can it be enforced? If there are no penalties,there's absolutely nothing stopping people parking in Moulsecoomb or Coldean. And a barrier across Coldean Lane or Hillside is going to piss off a lot of people - most people using those streets won't be football fans. Logistically, it's very different from Withdean.

The only way to do it in reality would be to have a properly policed CPZ. That may well happen - but not in the next month.

EDIT: The other big difference between Falmer and Withdean as controlled zones and Moulsecoomb and Coldean is that, in the first case, the residents wanted such a zone -and, indeed, was a made a pre-requisite of planning agreements. There's been no demand for such a zone from the residents of the latter two areas.

Last edited:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
On a dangerous road, walking on a bumpy grass verge, over the hills, in all weather. Not a long term solution.

There is a man made path that runs alongside the fields. Walkers ans cyclist use it.
Its my only option from Ovingdean, no buses go that way, only down into the town and along the Lewes Road, Hence quicker to walk

There is a man made path that runs alongside the fields. Walkers ans cyclist use it.
Its my only option from Ovingdean, no buses go that way, only down into the town and along the Lewes Road, Hence quicker to walk
Don't forget the new matchday shuttle bus between Rottingdean and the stadium, direct.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Yep. It's BS 8300:2009 - Design of buildings and their approaches to meet the needs of disabled people - Code of Practice. 6 per cent for most leisure and recreational facilities, but more than that for stadium parking (because all potential users need the parking facility at the same time).

6 per cent of 2000-2,200 spaces (as required within 1.5km of the Amex Stadium) = 120-132 Blue Badge spaces. I'm saying 150, to take account of the particular requirements of a stadium. And they ALL need to be within a reasonable walk of the stadium. 75 per cent of people with a mobility-related disability have some difficulty in walking more than 200 metres.

My understanding is that the Club wish to encourage some disabled supporters to use the park and ride services and the trains. But it is particularly difficult on crowded buses and trains to ensure that disabled passengers have access to seats (especially the priority seats). Standing on a crowded bus or train is very uncomfortable (and potentially an accident waiting to happen), if you don't have full mobility.

Thanks that saves me looking it up. What is resonable walking distance considered to be any idea?

Last edited:

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Currently I use mill road park and ride and intend to keeping doing so provided they are still using it but can does anyone have any idea if there will be any other park and ride options on that side of the city? I'm coming from Horsham

To go back to the point I made in the previous post. If it's not a statutory CPZ, how can it be enforced? If there are no penalties,there's absolutely nothing stopping people parking in Moulsecoomb or Coldean. And a barrier across Coldean Lane or Hillside is going to piss off a lot of people - most people using those streets won't be football fans. Logistically, it's very different from Withdean.

The only way to do it in reality would be to have a properly policed CPZ. That may well happen - but not in the next month.

EDIT: The other big difference between Falmer and Withdean as controlled zones and Moulsecoomb and Coldean is that, in the first case, the residents wanted such a zone -and, indeed, was a made a pre-requisite of planning agreements. There's been no demand for such a zone from the residents of the latter two areas.

Except for Falmer village they can't be enforced so, as at Withdean, people can ignore them totally if they want. However, there has to be a process for review of the traffic management scheme (planning condition) and clearly the Council is already looking at having something ready for Moulsecoomb in case the arrangements in the area, whatever they may be, are deemed a failure; I'd be surprised if the same approach is not taken in Coldean.
As for the justification for all of this, I think it comes back to the underlying premise on which the stadium application was made and approved - deter the use of private cars and encourage the use of sustainable/public transport.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Don't forget the new matchday shuttle bus between Rottingdean and the stadium, direct.

This could be an option for fans parking their cars in North Woodingdean and then catching the bus from the Bexhill Road bus stop unless of course its already full up with fans who got on at the White Horse. :lol:

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
When I used to live in Coldean and go to Sussex uni I could get from my door to the middle of uni in about 20-30 minutes so I reckon a clear walk from Brighton station will take roughly 1hr 20.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here