Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Park & Ride: Mithras Vs Race Hill

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Agree about the racecourse one taking longer the later you leave it. We drink in The Round Georges near the bottom of Sutherland Road and (because we're lazy bastards), get the number 2 bus up the hill about 2pm. Was okay at first, but the last few games it's been about 2.45 we get into the ground.

I work opposite Mithras House and travel to evening games straight from work. I always use the number 23 or 25 bus, rather than the P&R service. There's no queue to climb up the slip road to get towards the stadium - for the simple reason that the bus drops passengers off at the Sussex University campus, leaving us to walk through the subway, over Falmer station and straight to the north end of the stadium. Much quicker!

I would imagine that, now that everyone has a travel voucher that is valid for free use of the 23 and 25 buses, most people who park at Mithras House or the Brighton University car park next to the Cockcroft Building will prefer to ignore the P&R buses and use the 23 or 25.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I work opposite Mithras House and travel to evening games straight from work. I always use the number 23 or 25 bus, rather than the P&R service. There's no queue to climb up the slip road to get towards the stadium - for the simple reason that the bus drops passengers off at the Sussex University campus, leaving us to walk through the subway, over Falmer station and straight to the north end of the stadium. Much quicker!

I would imagine that, now that everyone has a travel voucher that is valid for free use of the 23 and 25 buses, most people who park at Mithras House or the Brighton University car park next to the Cockcroft Building will prefer to ignore the P&R buses and use the 23 or 25.

Well thanks for the tip. I will try that. For Reading though our bus driver for the p & r drove up the empty left hand lane of the slip road and then cut everyone up at the roundabout! :thumbup:

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
The problem with Mithras and the Racecourse is that people coming from the A27 or A23 effectively have to go THROUGH part of Brighton to get to them (causing more congestion). Mill Road is good as it's on the outskirts.

Hickstead would be good and would relieve the pressure point at Mill Rd. Also, if/when I can't get the fan coach from my village, I could drive (or cycle) the few miles to Hickstead in no time at all :D I think they would have to have more of a "timetable" at Hickstead though rather than load/go, load/go etc. We'll see.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well thanks for the tip. I will try that. For Reading though our bus driver for the p & r drove up the empty left hand lane of the slip road and then cut everyone up at the roundabout! :thumbup:

Toward the end of the season, the drivers were move savvy and used the uni. There was one game where I spoke to the driver (we were going to get in for kick off almost exactly anyway) and asked if he was going to cut up or if he was going to stay on the slip road and he said if I knew a quicker route than he'd happily use it. He ended up dropping everyone off at the bus stop the 23/25 uses and we headed through the tunnel. But by the last game especially, using the uni was the preferred method.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
You must be on a wind-up. It may have used to take only 10 minutes from the Race Hill, but for the last 8-10 games of last season I doubt I did it once in less than 30 minutes. The buses crawl in queues through Woodingdean and then on the Falmer Road as you get down towards The Amex. I've no idea why it suddenly got so bad, but literally every match from (I would guess) February onwards had delays. And I say that as somebody who uses it for every match and arrives at the Race Hill at least an hour before kick-off.

Spot on, I started the season using Mithras but got fed up with the queue on the slip road so also turned to race hill and yes all of a sudden the queue down Falmer road got just as bad. Im pretty sure they changed the traffic light sequence at the crossroads to the Amex to favour traffic coming off the A27, to try and prevent the build up on the slip road, not sure if it worked or helped the situation. One thing is for sure, its gonna be a helluva lot busier this season. Im thinking an extra half hour to be added on to match day travelling.
Which ever P&R site you use, be prepared for a slow approach on all roads to the Amex.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I drive to and from work via Falmer Hill and bloody Woodingdean, so I'm used to sitting in Woodingdean for ages and for that reason avoided using the racecourse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here