Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Park & Ride: Mithras Vs Race Hill

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'm going to slum it with the rest of you P&R oiks rather than get a parking space next season but wondered which is the best P&R route between Mithras and Race Hill.

Does Race Hill route go through Woodingdean and round the fields way to the Amex?

Ta

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Have used both. Depends a bit on where you live as to which is the most convenient particularly for getting away from the P & R site..The journey from Mithras to the Amex can take 15 - 20 minutes because of the queues on the A27 slip road whereas it's 10 minutes from Race Hill and yes it goes via Woodingdean and the Falmer Road. After the match it's probaly a shade quicker to Mithras than Race Hill but the Q's for Mithras can be quite long if you do not get there within 5 minutes of the end of the match. Race Hill q's seem less although they were getting bigger towards the end of the season. Of course if you stay and have a pint after the match the q's will be gone . The Mithras House buses were far superior and cleaner than the Race Hill "Southern Rail" ones.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
You must be on a wind-up. It may have used to take only 10 minutes from the Race Hill, but for the last 8-10 games of last season I doubt I did it once in less than 30 minutes. The buses crawl in queues through Woodingdean and then on the Falmer Road as you get down towards The Amex. I've no idea why it suddenly got so bad, but literally every match from (I would guess) February onwards had delays. And I say that as somebody who uses it for every match and arrives at the Race Hill at least an hour before kick-off.

That sounds like a nightmare. I think I'll try Mithras then.

fattyjohn

Jun 17, 2011
north roedean
the race hill has the bonus of, The fox on the downs ,they do some very nice home made burgers there ,plus other choices ,and a nice pre match pint or two

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
One at Hickstead would be ideal for Mid Sussex fans, would take a lot of strain of Mill Road I think.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
You must be on a wind-up. It may have used to take only 10 minutes from the Race Hill, but for the last 8-10 games of last season I doubt I did it once in less than 30 minutes. The buses crawl in queues through Woodingdean and then on the Falmer Road as you get down towards The Amex. I've no idea why it suddenly got so bad, but literally every match from (I would guess) February onwards had delays. And I say that as somebody who uses it for every match and arrives at the Race Hill at least an hour before kick-off.

Flipping heck I have never experienced anything like that and I used Race Hill for the majority of games including all in 2012. I usually get to Race hill about 1.30 or 6.15 and never has the journey been as long as you have found.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
One at Hickstead would be ideal for Mid Sussex fans, would take a lot of strain of Mill Road I think.

Can't see it ... you'll have all the away fans there too and it would take a gazillion buses to keep the flow going. If they do it then reckon it'll be long waits, particularly coming back.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Good thing about mithras is it's only a 25 - 35 minute walk from the stadium so you don't need to get a bus unless you're a lazy sod*

*obviously not including elderly / disabled / under 5s in that.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

This with bells on. 10 minutes my arse!!

edit: having read the later posts I guess a 1:30 departure from the Race Hill is a good idea.

I think the cops were controlling the traffic lights at the ground pre-match when the arrival times were good, but they seemed to disappear later in the season. :angry:

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
I see Insider is saying there are plenty of spare spaces at both Mithras and Race Hill. With the extra number attending matches the times to and from the Amex on P & R buses will presumably get worse so who knows which will be the best site to use.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Sshhh keep it a secret, but the queue for mithras has always been much shorter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here