Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Park and ride

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The site of a new Park and Ride for the city seems to be a hot topic in The Argus right now, so thought I'd chip in. Bet they don't print it:

All of the fuss about providing a Park and Ride for Brighton seems odd when such an obvious site is being overlooked. Surely Falmer would be perfect, as the "picturesque" village already resembles a car park for most of the week. Knocking down a few buildings and concreting over the pond would give the area a much more consistent look, fitting in neatly with the neighbouring dual carriageway and shabby university buildings. There would also be the added benefit of extra parking for Brighton's much-needed new football stadium once it's built. It certainly seems a better idea to me than the city getting rid of yet more sports facilities at Braypool.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Nothing like stirring it up eh?:lolol: I sent one yesterday. It was a bit more serious than that though.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Ok, so it's a bit of a wind-up but I'm sick to death of those whingeing muppets :lolol:

I did actually tone it down slightly from my original version :)

And the bit about Braypool is a serious point. This city's priorities regarding facilities are a joke sometimes. No decent swimming pools, lack of sports pitches, and crap cinemas spring to mind. (Ok.... so cinemas aren't the council's fault, but ours are rubbish).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The park and ride is not worth the moneyu in Brighton and does not encourage people to use it by its price.

Wife and I can park cheaoper in Brighton than use the P & R.

In Ipswich they have a P & R in about four different areas of the town and operate from 7am -7pm for a charge of less than £2 per car hence a lot of people drive from the outlying villages to the park and ride and then get the bus into town to work and then back home again later very efficient and affordable. I think the price is or was when I was there last year, £2 per day £10 per week and £25 per month

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
BensGrandad said:
The park and ride is not worth the moneyu in Brighton and does not encourage people to use it by its price.

Wife and I can park cheaoper in Brighton than use the P & R.

In Ipswich they have a P & R in about four different areas of the town and operate from 7am -7pm for a charge of less than £2 per car hence a lot of people drive from the outlying villages to the park and ride and then get the bus into town to work and then back home again later very efficient and affordable. I think the price is or was when I was there last year, £2 per day £10 per week and £25 per month

The big difference is that Ipswich is in an area that is almost flat, with loads of space around to build carparks etc. Brighton is stuck in the bowl of the downs.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
trueblue said:
The site of a new Park and Ride for the city seems to be a hot topic in The Argus right now, so thought I'd chip in. Bet they don't print it:

All of the fuss about providing a Park and Ride for Brighton seems odd when such an obvious site is being overlooked. Surely Falmer would be perfect, as the "picturesque" village already resembles a car park for most of the week. Knocking down a few buildings and concreting over the pond would give the area a much more consistent look, fitting in neatly with the neighbouring dual carriageway and shabby university buildings. There would also be the added benefit of extra parking for Brighton's much-needed new football stadium once it's built. It certainly seems a better idea to me than the city getting rid of yet more sports facilities at Braypool.

Congratulations on getting into print :clap: . Saw it in yesterdays (Tuesday) Argus.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
sully said:
Neither of those links go to the relevant letters any more. :(

His:

Letter: Put it at Falmer

All the fuss about providing a park-and-ride for Brighton seems odd when such an obvious site is being overlooked.

Surely Falmer would be perfect, as the "picturesque" village already resembles a car park for most of the week.

Knocking down a few buildings and concreting over the pond would give the area a much more consistent look, fitting in neatly with the neighbouring dual carriageway and shabby university buildings.

There would also be the added benefit of extra parking for Brighton's much-needed new football stadium once it's built.

It certainly seems a better idea to me than the city getting rid of yet more sports facilities at Braypool.

Mine:

Letter: The only option

"What is everyone waiting for" writes Peter Mitchell (Letters, February 18).

Well, it's quite simple really. We're waiting for an inspector to report back to John Prescott so that he can finally conclude that Falmer is the best site.

You see, unfortunately, it isn't as simple as picking an open space and saying it is suitable, as Mr Mitchell seems to think.

The Albion have calculated the debt repayment on a stadium at Waterhall would be 42 per cent of their annual turnover, more than double that of Falmer, which anyone with a head for figures will tell you is unmanageable.

So Waterhall could be the solution but only if the aim is a fast spiral into financial oblivion.

Also, I would like to know how supporters would be expected to get aboard services on the London-Brighton railway line at Waterhall without a railway station or the scope for one to be built.

As far as I know, hitching isn't allowed along the track so a very long walk or a hundred or so buses to Preston Park station would be the only option.

Which only leaves this to be said: Why suggest building plenty of parking spaces and a train station that isn't possible at Waterhall when these things already exist and can be reused at Falmer?

Whatever problem is posed by one of the alternative sites would always appear to be solved by building at Falmer.

Let's hope the inspector sees it that way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here