Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just watched our synchronised swimming silver, just about as an impressive display of coordination you could ever wish to see, and such a long routine. Just amazing in so many aspects.
If I had to pick my favourite moment of the Olympics (and maybe that deserves its own thread) it would be the moment they realise they've won a medal. And the interview afterwards, just great.

That's the great thing about the Olympics. Watching people you've never heard of in a sport you don't care about, and then getting emotional when they win. Fantastic stuff.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Alex Yee rising from the ashes to win triathlon will stay with me a very long time. It was
something I've never seen before; apparently, it was a shout from one of the Brownlee
brothers in the crowd along the lines of "you can still do it" that spurred Alex on in that final 400 metres or so.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Tom Daley has announced his retirement from diving. Tremendous career and a great ambassador for the sport and Team GB in general.

I can’t remember a decent top level diver for GB before he came along. He’s lived so much of his life in the spotlight and from such a young age but he’s never let it affect him. He’s definitely helped to inspire some of the other divers we are seeing come through now.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tom Daley has announced his retirement from diving. Tremendous career and a great ambassador for the sport and Team GB in general.

I can’t remember a decent top level diver for GB before he came along. He’s lived so much of his life in the spotlight and from such a young age but he’s never let it affect him. He’s definitely helped to inspire some of the other divers we are seeing come through now.
Leon Taylor won Olympic silver (in the same event) the Games before Daley started.

Top bloke, too.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The GB kit is actually decent this time round. One of the best in recent years..
TeamGB online shop has started discounting some of the official Paris 2024 kit.

Just got one of these (altho sadly not at a discount)

IMG_5238.jpeg

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Not disagreeing but it was probably the overt policing that kept the peace. Paris was flooded with police. The rest of France must have been a thieve’s paradise🤣
I recall before the start that the French said they had drafted in 20,000 soldiers to boost security however I cannot recall seeing much evidence on the TV broadcasts

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Who was your Games Hero?

For me it has to be Simone Biles, she was absolutely incredible. A start so bright she is probably bigger than the American Olympic movement itself, so much pressure but she delivered when it counted.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I recall before the start that the French said they had drafted in 20,000 soldiers to boost security however I cannot recall seeing much evidence on the TV broadcasts
I'm told* that during the Rio games the police just arrested large numbers of people coming into the city from outlying areas on the off chance that they might be criminals.

Other than confirming that I didn't get mugged while I was there, I can't say how effective this was.

*By some random person over breakfast in the youth hostel I was staying in. I make no claims for the reliability of this information.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
There were plenty of gendarmes and other law-enforcement folks outside the grounds. I remember having a coffee in a café terrace one morning near gare de l'Est and a half-dozen armed officers were casually having a full briefing, map pinned to the side of their unmarked van...and the locals didn't bat an eyelid!

Wouldn't have fancied their chances of running after a shoplifter but I'm sure they'd be a fine shot from 50 feet away 😬

Can't say I felt in any way unsafe, day or night throughout my four days in Paris. Fair play to them pulling off a successful tournament (with the Paralympics still to go of course).

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Who was your Games Hero?

For me it has to be Simone Biles, she was absolutely incredible. A start so bright she is probably bigger than the American Olympic movement itself, so much pressure but she delivered when it counted.
Biles an absolute superstar. Unmissable.

Loved everything about Leon Marchand. Every time he appeared you could hear that rather incredible swell of national pride in the crowds. To have all of that pressure and win 4 x Gold and a Bronze, wow. He also looked genuinely humbled and in awe by it all. Tunnel vision during the events, appreciative around them.

However, the moment of the Games for me was Armand Duplantis breaking his own world-record, for the pure sake of entertaining a sold-out Stade de France. Has there ever been a reaction to the high-jump like that? Iconic.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can we put " Unbelieveable " back in its box now for 4 years ? it's worn out.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Brian Phelps in the 60's. Unfortunately, he was a top-level paedophile in the 70's and 80's.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Yeah, sounds like a Backyard Ultra, a 6,7 km loop every hour on the hour. Run fast and you might get 15-20 rest on a loop. They broke the record earlier this year in the Big Dogs Ultra in Tennessee, think the winner got 108 loops (x 6,7 km). Would be great fun. You get up eat breakfast, chech the standings, go to work, check it again before you go to bed, sleep a whole night while they still run/walk. Repeat for 4 days or more!
Anything but the current event!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Always feel for football manager when interviewed straight after loss. Same with Olympics 4 years work. P----d off with a bronze and then have to tell media how pleased you are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here