Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Reckon KJT will be ruing that mediocre (by her standards) long jump. 10cm more would’ve been enough for gold, and she was about 50cm short of her best.
Swings and roundabouts though…….she was miles better than expected in the shot, Thiam was crap (for her) in the high jump etc etc.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Did the lady boxer from Bolton,( but because the home office wouldn’t give her a passport, even though she has been here since she was 11 ) who boxes for the non aligned team, get a medal. She was a beast when I saw her the other night

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Did the lady boxer from Bolton,( but because the home office wouldn’t give her a passport, even though she has been here since she was 11 ) who boxes for the non aligned team, get a medal. She was a beast when I saw her the other night
Bronze

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Fantastic run from Bell, and so nearly silver too!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bell with a GB record-reaking run, superb from her but to my untrained eye it looks like Laura Muir got her tactics all wrong there.

But Kipyegon - 3 Olympic golds in a row, that is incredible.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
She ran a PB!
Indeed. Yet never in contention for a medal, near the back for the first 1000 metres, left herself to much to do. All about Kipyegon, that was the performance of a true champion.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
to my untrained eye it looks like Laura Muir got her tactics all wrong there.

To my equally untrained eye, I thought she did well to run her own pace and get close towards the end. Sometimes there are people who are just too fast for you.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
To my equally untrained eye, I thought she did well to run her own pace and get close towards the end. Sometimes there are people who are just too fast for you.

I think you're right, she said so in her interview, she had to run her own race. That was an insanely fast start, not sure Muir could've gone with that with the injuries she's had in the last couple of seasons.

But then fair play to Georgia Bell, did go with it and had enough in the tank to take Bronze. Was a mad race 😁

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Men's High Jump goes to a jump-off after the Yank and Kiwi decline the offer to share Gold.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Quite a story behind Bell…..

From the BBC

Bell was once a hugely talented junior athlete, winning the English Schools 800m in 2008, but mentally and physically she was unable to sustain that promise.
It was only during the pandemic that she rediscovered her enjoyment of running and, noticing continuous improvement, she chose to get back in contact with former coach Trevor Painter - the man who, alongside wife and world 800m medallist Jenny Meadows, has overseen Keely Hodgkinson's rise to Olympic 800m champion.
The progress she had made since, despite holding down a full-time job in cyber security, has been remarkable.
Bell beat Muir to the British title in June to secure her Olympic debut, having taken a summer sabbatical from work to pursue a dream that seemed unlikely even at the start of the year.
And in Paris, in her first final at a global championship, she completed a fairytale journey to the Olympic podium.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Men's High Jump goes to a jump-off after the Yank and Kiwi decline the offer to share Gold.

WTF? Why would they do that - sharing still means you get gold!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bar now lower than the height both men cleared 20 mins ago. What a surreal end to the competition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here