Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Which other ones are you thinking about, this is the shittiest one I have seen so far. f***ing dull and very little skill required imo other than having the ability to climb like a monkey :lolol:
Surely there is way more SKILL involved in climbing a vertical wall, at speed, than there is in (for example) running in a straight line for ten seconds?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
No idea how this is even considered an Olympic sport :shrug:
A few years ago, when BMX, Skateboarding, surfing (and now climbing) were introduced into the Olympics, I must admit to being sceptical.

I was wrong - they have bought IMO, a much needed boost for The Olympics and youngsters can get engaged with sports that actually do themselves.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Surely there is way more SKILL involved in climbing a vertical wall, at speed, than there is in (for example) running in a straight line for ten seconds?
Good point, well made. I think I’ll enjoy watching a straight line sprint over climbing a wall until the day I die though :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good point, well made. I think I’ll enjoy watching a straight line sprint over climbing a wall until the day I die though :shrug:
I agree completely - as a lover of athletics. I was merely questioning your specific reason for writing off the climbing. I don't think levels of skill alone, are what determines a sport as worthy of inclusion anyway.

There are sports at the games with very little skill or nuance involved, that are not questioned - say weightlifting, for example.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I agree completely - as a lover of athletics. I was merely questioning your specific reason for writing off the climbing. I don't think levels of skill alone, are what determines a sport as worthy of inclusion anyway.

There are sports at the games with very little skill or nuance involved, that are not questioned - say weightlifting, for example.
Fair comments, I’d rather weed the garden than watch people climbing walls, hence my opinion that it’s a shit watch, accept it seems to be just me who thinks like this though. Luckily it’s over for now so no need to weed the garden

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Listening to this interview genuinely had me welling up this morning.
Shes done brilliantly at these games, finished off with an amazing dive yesterday, and will be a force in the sport for a few years to come I reckon.

She's lovely. Her dad grates on me and I think it's a shame how she keeps being referred to as Fred Sirioux's daughter even through the Olympics they've tried to shoehorn him in at every opportunity, she's a star in her own right. There was a lovely vid on the BBC of her meeting her hero GK Barry prior to the Olympics which is well worth a watch.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Had 5 Live on in the car this morning and they said that today's GB rep in the male skateboarding is a 51 year old. I assumed that this was either a typo or had been mis-read and that they meant 15 year old, so I checked and it's true: Andy MacDonald really is the coolest 51-year-old in the world.
Macdonald had 8 gold medals at the X Games 6 years before his team mates were born, incredible story. He did have to barely scrape qualification for the Olympics, but he out qualified several younger British hopefuls by a fair bit so clearly he's still got something left.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
I have never understood why they have resisted squash being included. Successful in the commonwealth games but I suppose it may not be considered "sexy" enough.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Host countries allowed to nominate their own sports, thought baseball would be in for LA, also the US wanted spelling bee to be in there but some conjecture about fairness and which language would be useful.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
I’d like to see trailrunning, a 100 or 200-miler, with Jim Walmsley, Kilian, Tom Evans, Courtney Dauwalter competefor a coople of days.
Race walking should be more of an endurance event. Competitors get sent off with the same amount of food & drink in a rucksack.

Get sent on a pre ordained route and the last 3 walking win the medals

H&S might have a moan though.....

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I have never understood why they have resisted squash being included. Successful in the commonwealth games but I suppose it may not be considered "sexy" enough.
Squash will be in the 2028 games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here