Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Looking at the medal table, how is it that big countries like Argentina, Mexico, South Africa barely register? I'm guessing finance, infrastructure and other factors. Even Spain are down in 26th currently.
India is always the one that amazes me! Literally the only sport they are any good at is cricket (unless I’ve forgotten something). With their population it’s madness!

I thought similar of Spain, but do you think all their eggs are firmly in football and tennis? Not much good at much else

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
India is always the one that amazes me! Literally the only sport they are any good at is cricket (unless I’ve forgotten something). With their population it’s madness!

I thought similar of Spain, but do you think all their eggs are firmly in football and tennis? Not much good at much else

India is pretty incredibly really isn't it - just the 3 bronze medals for a pop of well over a billion is quite something. Poor infrastructure and financing I guess, and a country completely obsessed with cricket and cricket alone

Spain amazes me - again poor financing but a relatively wealthy country very good at a number of sports - basketball too they are up there with the best, and handball i think? Germany too never do anywhere as well as I feel they should; I know technically they're 4 places below us but only 15 medals vs 41

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
India is pretty incredibly really isn't it - just the 3 bronze medals for a pop of well over a billion is quite something. Poor infrastructure and financing I guess, and a country completely obsessed with cricket and cricket alone
Even so, you’d think there would be a few natural talents in something! Anything! But I guess it’s also plausible that those naturally talented people are never spotted due to living in poor areas

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Is it me? The longer the pro Brit hyperbole before an event from the BBC, the bigger the balloon pop.
Yesterday I was in the car and turned the radio on and it was coverage of GB v india men's Hockey. I just missed what the radio " expert " said was incredibly rare sending off for a player, straight red so it was 11 v 10 for most of the match and the inference was that we were bound to win.....imagine my non surprise to find out 90 minutes later we had lost !

Blinkers

Jul 8, 2020

They’re not too shabby at hockey. Both India and Spain.

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I think that 7/4 SPOTY is as solid a bet as you will get for Keeley. Will win barring a disaster, likeable and missed every branch on the ugly tree (which, whether you like it or not will play a part in the voting). Granted, it won't "pay for Christmas" but I think she's nailed on.

Final coming up. Now 8/11

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Hockey is actually India's official national sport. Although I think it lost a bit of popularity compared to cricket after they won the cricket world cup in 1983. Funny what actually winning something will do.

Edit: I bothered to check this after posting and it turns out they don't have an official national sport, although lots of people think it's hockey.

I think football's popular around Bengal as well.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Straight to the front where she rules.

Never in doubt.

Gold! 🥇

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here