Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I’ve seen 2 out of the 3 and have been perplexed by both, particularly tonight’s. Thought Orie won all 3 rounds.

The GB boxing team don’t seem to be making any public complaints though. Is that them just being very gracious losers or my low-level understanding of boxing?
They both clearly won. Olympic boxing has always been dodgy as hell.

Blinkers

Jul 8, 2020
Did we have any booing at the London 2012 games? I guess there may have been, but don't remember hearing any. Twice the French et al crowd have booed the GB players. The Mountain bike and now the GB rugby 7s women's team against the US. Seems a bit mean spirited considering it's the Olympics.
They were booing anyone who beat one of their fencers. It was more micro than that; they were booing every point against one of their fencers. Bad sportspersonship.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Men's Triathlon postponed due to water quality in the Seine.

Provisionally rescheduled for tomorrow after the women's competition.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The BBC coverage is awful, basically unwatchable. 5 minutes of action followed by 30 minutes of boring discussion. Honestly watching paint dry is more enjoyable.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I can't really get in to these Olympics. Not sure why. Is it just me?

(Wrong thread to raise this point on I guess given everyone in hear is watching - mainly beach volleyball apparently)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
No idea why the French were booing our bloke who won the mountain biking gold. The fault lay with their bloke surrendering his lead too easily and as a nation they've got previous in that department!
It was brilliant opportunism from Pidcock. Superb and aggressive riding and the home fans couldn't take it. Let's be honest...the French hate us.....and as hard as they try to be generous in these games....they cannot fight deep rooted feelings. They booed the GB rugby girls as soon as they ran on and were ecstatic when they got beaten.
Their own team have been practicing on their own courses for months. Their canoe slalom guy won by about a week..with intimate course knowledge backing him up.
The French don't try to hide their distaste for us and these won't be the only boos and hisses these games.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I’m enjoying the bits I’m watching - some truly great sport. Not all on the BBC, but within a few hours on Sunday I managed to catch a wonderful spell of fast bowling by Mark Wood, an audacious 50 from Stokes, great drama in the Peaty breast stroke race, and a few bits and bobs from our match in Tokyo. Plus, sorted out a few odd jobs in the garden. It's not all bad :)

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I can't really get in to these Olympics. Not sure why. Is it just me?

(Wrong thread to raise this point on I guess given everyone in hear is watching - mainly beach volleyball apparently)
TV production makes a real difference. Didn't think of it before, but now when Swedish public television couldn't afford the TV rights its all been left to some commercial channel that doesn't give a f about some sports and are more eager to show big highlights than the lesser known competitions. Thought it would work equally good with a dodgy stream but its just not as convenient as just letting SVT (our BBC) guide me.

Quality of TV coverage more important than I thought. Maybe BBC not doing their job?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Regrettably I do actually agree with some that the BBC coverage hasn’t been great this year. It seems they spend an interminable amount of time in the (really nice) studio and not enough time actually covering the events.

Auntie normally delivers with these big events, the BBC are the safest pair of hands possible and usually superb, but I don’t know if it’s a budget thing or what, it just feels very thin in content.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Regrettably I do actually agree with some that the BBC coverage hasn’t been great this year. It seems they spend an interminable amount of time in the (really nice) studio and not enough time actually covering the events.

Auntie normally delivers with these big events, the BBC are the safest pair of hands possible and usually superb, but I don’t know if it’s a budget thing or what, it just feels very thin in content.
Isn’t that because Discovery have bought the rights to many of the events?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It will be a real shame if the Triathlon ends up becoming a Duathlon. But it probably helps our competitors? What are they thinking to do with the marathon swim?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Oh is it? You’re probably right - I freely admit I know next to nothing about this. It would explain a lot
I'm sure they did... like here and in many, many countries.

Its a bit sad tbh. In the past there was a rule/policy that the Olympic TV rights would only be sold to those who could provide free (no cable or subscriptions and bla) TV so that everyone could watch and be part of this. Same with FIFA World Cups btw.

I guess times are different and if I want to watch the 200m women's dog sleigh final, I need to pay up.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I can't really get in to these Olympics. Not sure why.
You will have needed to have performed inside the qualifying time for your chosen sport first.

You can’t just rock up in Paris with your trainers and expect to get a go, sadly.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
IOC sold the global rights to Discovery and every nation essentially gets two feeds from them of stuff, so the BBC (and every other broadcaster basically) is extremely hamstrung in what they can do.

It’s a shame as some of the fringe sports are getting next to no mainstream coverage as a result (volleyball, badminton, table tennis) on the main broadcasters.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Amazing photo from the Olympic surfing :ohmy:
Screenshot_20240730_081333_Chrome.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here