Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Great race, even with a slightly disappointing result.

Not sure Kerr did too much wrong there - they all followed Ingebritsen's pace, Kerr just happened to be a bit closer to him than Hocker.

Kerr put Ingebritsen to the sword, but Hocker was given an unexpectedly clear run up the inside and, fair play to him, he had the pace to make the most of it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Kerr wouldn't have wanted to stay in the inside though, as Ingebritsen would've just blocked him off and he'd have had to expend so much energy trying to get around him.

Once the bend ends, Ingebritsen can't stop anyone coming past on the straight. And Hocker would have had to run around Kerr, who was running around Ingebritsen. It would have made it very difficult for Hocker. And Ingebritsen was done.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I don't think Kerr looks stupid. He had to stay in touch with Ingebritsen, did that well but got outsprinted by a very fast finisher. It happens. Ingebritsen looks a right mug though.
Yes, I completely agree. My comment about both of them looking a bit stupid was hasty and ill-judged and made in the immediate disappointment of Kerr not winning.

I think Kerr executed about as well as he could in the context of how the race played out. Ordinarily, Ingerbritsen wouldn’t blow up like that in the last 60m and leave a f***ing great gap down the inside.

But - full credit to Hocker for a brilliant finish. He may have been presented with a great opportunity but he still had to grab it. A great run.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The winner had an Olympic record, Kerr ran a pb and national record. He still ran a great race
Yes he did.

The records are deceiving, because it's unusual for people to take it out that early.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't think Kerr looks stupid. He had to stay in touch with Ingebritsen, did that well but got outsprinted by a very fast finisher. It happens. Ingebritsen looks a right mug though.
It was the most disappointing climax I’ve seen since the DVDA moneyshot scene in European Cumbath 29

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Watching the woman's steeplechase. It shows how the African runners are great at these endurance events. Lead group entirely Africans. Then a huge gap to the second group all europeans
Can’t believe the GB competitor had too run with a bib that just said “Bird” on it.

You’d have thought they’d have taken the trouble to find out her name ffs

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
I'm always a bit dubious about ' bought in ' athletes like the Bahraini winner in the steeplechase , is there any national pride or just money?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm always a bit dubious about ' bought in ' athletes like the Bahraini winner in the steeplechase , is there any national pride or just money?
£50,000 worth of national pride for each stadium gold

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Josh Kerr

"I can't walk away from a Championship disappointed. I said what my goals were, it was pretty obvious but I put a performance out there today which I was extremely proud of. I focused on my controllables, I ran the best and the fastest tactical 1500m I have ever done in my life."

"When you start worrying about what everyone else does from the results, you'll never be satisfied. It's obviously not the colour of medal I want but it is working towards the right colour, from bronze to silver. I just want to thank everyone out and part of my team and family members to get me into position today to leave it all out there and that's what I did today."

"I'm 26 years old, this road is not over, I really wanted it today. I told you what I wanted and obviously I didn't get it so there is going to be that part of me that is eager and ready for that next one."

"I'm really, really proud of the way I executed today and that is just going to have to be be enough for just now. It makes me hungry and ready for more and I'm just glad I was able to add another medal to the medal count for Team GB today."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/live/cr5nnde52gzt

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well grubby, still trains in Kenya taking advantage of its altitude and climate but represents a petro state in competition

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Lewis Richardson's boxing SF in about 10 mins time.

Guaranteed bronze already.

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
4 walls, 4 girls, they each have a bash at each wall on rotation with max 25 points for each (I think - first time I’ve seen it but I’ll be an expert in about 15 minutes obviously :laugh: )

Yes, this was boulder climbing.

There are 4 walls/boulders, every climber has 5 minutes for each one to get to the top.

They get 5 points for reaching the first zone, 10 for the second and 25 for the top.

0.1 point is deducted for each failed attempt.

Today was semi final so a bit hard to follow especially if new to the sport. Will be easier in the final with just one climber at a time.

In Olympics there is a combined boulder and lead competition.

In lead climbers have to climb a 15m (49ft) route. They can also get a maximum of 100 points depending on how far/high they can get. Points are awarded for the last 40 moves of a route. Counting from the top the last 10 moves earn 4 points each, previous 10 moves 3 points each and so on.

Then ofc points from both phases (boulder and lead) will be added up.

Climbing walls is an Olympic sport? I’d much rather watch Boules, which I don’t believe is? This is shit…imo :shrug:

Big crowd seem to love it though. Bloody boring to me

Yes, since Tokyo.

Give it a chance, climbing is fun. Watch out for Janja Garnbret, she's brilliant. Only one to get to the top in all four boulders today, only had some problems with the last one.

There is lead climbing semifinal tomorrow (men) and on Thursday (women). Then finals on Friday and Saturday.

Maybe that will be more interesting to you.

And there is also a standalone event of speed climbing which I'm sure some people will find attractive but it's not really my preference.

I think women's speed final is tomorrow and men's on Thursday.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Much better 2nd round from Richardson. Ahead with the judges then. And a decent 3rd as well.

Lost the split decision. Hmmm....not sure whether I'd agree with that.

But with 5 of the 6 boxers gone after their first fight, Richardson's bronze was much needed. 🥉

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here