Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parents - If You're Thinking of Sending Your Child to Varndean School....

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
St Nicholas and st Mary's in shoreham don't tolerate bullying and we have had two kids go there at different times - likewise my son went to st Andrews in Worthing and we had an issue there once with bullying but it was dealt with immediately and never happened again.

Not sure where I will apply for Millie yet for secondary school but I'll wait to make my decision - I have a few years to decide yet and schools round here are changing all the time - at the moment davisons is my first choice I think

Think it is probably a lot easier to monitor and control bullying episodes in a school such as St. Nics, which only has one class per year.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I have some sympathy with schools on this one.

If you accept that there will always be some level of 'conflict' within a group of children at some time, then it is important for teachers to identify what needs a strong response and those incidents that do not.

In many cases its the school managing the parents expectations of the schools response that is problematic.

Of course serious issues not withstanding, there are many times when parents want redress on an incident that needn't necessarily require a strong and continued investigation but a more considered response that allows both parties to move on, sometimes parents are not willing for this to happen.

Unfortunately there are 'problem parents' out there that take up so much of the school's resources and time, for things that would be dealt with appropriately by the teachers, if allowed.

Sometimes not every incident requires a prolonged and confrontational process, at times driven by an unreasonable parent.

Of course if your child is being bullied, it must be wretched and you would expect the schools to respond accordingly, but there needs some acknowledgement that children's healthy interaction can sometimes be misinterpreted by some parents, usually prompting a cycle of claim and counter claim, where neither party really comes out with much credit.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
There are quite a few Old Varndeanians who post on NSC. I also started in 1971 (Form 1.10 Mr Griffiths)

Another OV here. The only real bullying in my day was in the name of discipline - by the head, teachers and prefects, and potential pupil bullies were sorted, one way or another. Cane (headmaster but Mollison probably abolished it), strap (deputy head), then the teachers had a range of 'motivational' instruments with which to hit you including:eek:ne yard wooden blackboard rulers, slipper, palm of the hand, wooden blackboard dusters, pieces of chalk. AND IT DID US NO REAL HARM !

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
To throw in my attempt at saving youth; Avoid Hove Park.

I was bullied there (brains, good looks and no brawn ;)) and whilst they made all the right noises that was the extent of it.

My younger sister followed me there (fair few years between us) and the only thing that stopped her getting bullied was me picking her up one day and scaring the shite out of them (didn't feel proud of it and didn't get physical).

Shite school.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Anyone remember Mr Fuller circa 1985-1990? He was a loon. Would give you a weeks detention for nothing, then you'd turn up Monday after school for detention, and he'd ask you what you were doing there. His exact words "what are you doing here?....piss off"

Brilliant

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Another OV here. The only real bullying in my day was in the name of discipline - by the head, teachers and prefects, and potential pupil bullies were sorted, one way or another. Cane (headmaster but Mollison probably abolished it), strap (deputy head), then the teachers had a range of 'motivational' instruments with which to hit you including:eek:ne yard wooden blackboard rulers, slipper, palm of the hand, wooden blackboard dusters, pieces of chalk. AND IT DID US NO REAL HARM !

I was given the cane by Mr Turner , the strap by Mr Bruce and had a blackboard duster whizz past my ear thrown by Mr Allt. It was all part of growing up.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
....I would seriously think again. Rarely have I encountered such all-pervasive and mind-numbing incompetence. If I had my time again, not in a million years would I have sent my child to that school - Stringer or Patcham all the way.
Any particular reason - about to start September - didn't get Stringer

patcham seagulls

Jul 9, 2003
patcham
As the name suggests i have an attachment to the area, and must defend Patcham high school (PHS) from some of the comments posted on this thread.

As a parent of two children currently attending PHS, I can definatively say that their education from day one has been absolutely first class.

The attention and professionalism demonstrated from Paula Sergent (Head Teacher) and her staff over the past 5 years is a credit to the school and is of great benefit to the local community here in north Brighton.

Being one of the smallest secondry school's in Brighton is a massive benefit to pupils, as in my experiance it allows teachers the opportunity to understand the needs and aspirations of the young adults passing through its care.

Other schools in Brighton do have supposedly better reputations, they certainly over the years have experianced better funding. But unquestionably many pupils who have graduated from these establishments will be able to recall certain failings.

Its fashionable to critizise schools and especially teachers at certain times, but currently Patcham High school thoroughly deserves praise for the outstanding work both my children and nephews have received over the past 6-8 years.

svanstraten

May 29, 2012
Any particular reason - about to start September - didn't get Stringer

Hi Jane,

Please have a look at my post on the previous page about some of the great things about Varndean. If you have any questions do get in touch with me directly. It's half term next week so I will be away, however I'll respond to you as soon as I get back.

Regards,

Sacha

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To throw in my attempt at saving youth; Avoid Hove Park.

I was bullied there (brains, good looks and no brawn ;)) and whilst they made all the right noises that was the extent of it.

My younger sister followed me there (fair few years between us) and the only thing that stopped her getting bullied was me picking her up one day and scaring the shite out of them (didn't feel proud of it and didn't get physical).

Shite school.

On the other hand, I and my three siblings all went through Hove Park right through to VI form, all enjoyed it, had no problems whatsoever, and all left with good A-level results.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes but you're getting all your bullying out the way right now.

On Gareth. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Actually, now its been brought to my attention that not agreeing with someone's ill-judged sensationalist opinions, counts as BULLYING them, it seems in hindsight, that I was a bully at school too.

The shame.

Last edited:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

Sounds like you were there at a similar time to me. Harry Alt was certifiable, though.

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
For some reason it has a good reputation but Westdene is a haven of ***** IMO. All the parents there are wannabes middle class losers who give it the big one but in reality don't have the money to send their kids private. And the school turn a blind eye to pretty much everything and seem to expect kids to be part of the master race or ignore them completely.

D

Deleted User X18H

For some reason it has a good reputation but Westdene is a haven of ***** IMO. All the parents there are wannabes middle class losers who give it the big one but in reality don't have the money to send their kids private. And the school turn a blind eye to pretty much everything and seem to expect kids to be part of the master race or ignore them completely.
This!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I would be astounded if the turn of events panned out as you said, it just wouldn't happen that way.

I have no doubt that at times schools make mistakes, but generally you are dealing with professional and uber compassionate people that know intimately your child, their characteristics and their likelihood for different types of behaviour, unfortunately some parents do not.

My boy was bullied for 2 years and kept getting detention for standing up for himself. "Raising your hands" is not allowed. They defo try and ignore bullying despite all the wonderful words. In the end we had a "come to Jesus" meeting with his form teacher and the Deputy Head. The teacher just stared balefully at us for an hour and intimated that his "personality" and "behaviour" was the real issue. At that point we moved him to another school where he made a number of very good friends within a few days and was very happy until he left last year. All of this was at Forest School in Horsham which, supposedly, is very strict on bullying. My personal experience is that the school was paranoid about admitting that any bullying takes place and they are very happy to talk at length about their anti bullying policy but it is not effectively implemented

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Please don't try and say my experience didn't happen, because it did. I have my copy of the social workers report in which it states that in his opinion the injuries to my son did not happen at home, and I am still waiting for an apology from the head teacher. This is neither the first or last time this head teacher has done the exact same thing.

So you will be astounded :)

I had a similar, although less serious, situation where some kid at Infant school, aged 6, was regularly bullying and hitting other kids, including mine. Several parents had words with his teacher but nothing was done until I rang the Headmistress. At that point the boy's parents were called to the school, informed what was going on and told to sort him out or he would have to find another school. Problem solved. If you don't stir up shit with the Head it doesn't get dealt with. The teachers won't act because they want to hide it.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
I left Varndean in 96 and it was alright, better than Stringer as far as violence was concerned, i think it was getting better grades too.

I believe it got a lottery grant and spent it on computers and turning the building into a prison and it was down hill from there.

I also believe that Deason closing is a contributing factor.

I've no context into it now but if they were at the right age now, I'd be unlikely to send my kids there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here