Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Panorama tonight will be interesting !

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
If labour under Corbyn are so good at costing out all their radical plans ; why is it that we have so many warnings from top UK business people that they feel Corbyn would be a complete disaster for our economy if he ever got into power. Some have gone further and suggested he would bankrupt our country. You have to admit that Corbyn has spent a lifetime in opposition, he hasn't seriously considered what would happen if he did ever get into power. Also its important to take into account, whilst he talks the talk he's actually not very bright and his shadow cabinet are not exactly over blessed with intellect are they..

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
If labour under Corbyn are so good at costing out all their radical plans ; why is it that we have so many warnings from top UK business people that they feel Corbyn would be a complete disaster for our economy if he ever got into power. Some have gone further and suggested he would bankrupt our country. You have to admit that Corbyn has spent a lifetime in opposition, he hasn't seriously considered what would happen if he did ever get into power. Also its important to take into account, whilst he talks the talk he's actually not very bright and his shadow cabinet are not exactly over blessed with intellect are they..

Maybe "top business people" wont like the idea of paying more tax?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If labour under Corbyn are so good at costing out all their radical plans ; why is it that we have so many warnings from top UK business people that they feel Corbyn would be a complete disaster for our economy if he ever got into power. Some have gone further and suggested he would bankrupt our country.

Hang on, you're saying that people with a massive vested interest in keeping Corbyn out of power are fear-mongering about him?

Well I for one am SHOCKED.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The profits from Energy, trains & water + reduced spending via subsidies to private shareholders would pay off interest from additional borrowing.

The manifesto was fully costed.

The only concern is from private shareholders who are unhappy at Labour wanting to nationalise under market value.

However , when you consider the proposal to pay under market value takes into consideration network run down, asset stripping and pension deficits it seems pretty fair to me. Private shareholders have basically taken the p1ss.

They have also proposed to deduct all subsidy payments made since privatisation.

Again, why anybody would complain about this type of decution is beyond me. Imagine me selling gas to you for 1 million quid. Then I pay you subsidies in order to run it. Then you keep al the profits. Then expect me to buy it back for 1 million. After all money I've given you since its been in your hands.

Er, no thanks.

There was an additional 350billion of borrowing for a national investment fund. This seems too work well for Norway. one if the happiest countries in the world.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hmm, anybody would be pissed off if a Government wanted to acquire their assets for below market value. Wouldn't you be?
Wouldn't please all those who depend on the health of the stockmarket to fund their pensions, and that includes most people these days, excepting of course, those with an increasingly rare DB pension.Wouldn't please those who have bought unexciting , but reliable dividend paying utility stocks to supplement their income or pensions. Would scare off foreign investment if they thought the British Government was going to legalise robbery and half-hinch assets at below market value etc.etc. What would be the next trick, I wonder?
I reckon if any Government tried to do that, they would face enormous legal challenges........not a good idea!

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Block F doesn't get it. The British public, you and I, have been subsidising energy, trains and water for years.

We HAVE been paying for it. You talk about pensions yet won't acknowledge these shareholders have loaded company debt in the name of water, took your taxes, ran away with the profits whilst asset stripping the companies to death.

If pensions are your primary concern, might you explain why you are happy for these private companies to maintain massive pension deficits?

As I previously said people with vested interests are affected. I'm sure the lesson here is to not invest money into sectors which rely heavily on public spending to make a profit. It's a disgrace my taxes go into a shareholders dividend.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Maybe it would, I dont mind paying more tax for good public services such as those available in Scandanavian countries for example.

It also depends on how much more tax 'Fred Bloggs' has to cough up and whether he deems it has been wisely spent or spunked up the wall by a wasteful and extravagant Government driven by outdated ideology.
With Corbyn and McDonnell in charge, I would fear the latter.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Block F doesn't get it. The British public, you and I, have been subsidising energy, trains and water for years.

We HAVE been paying for it. You talk about pensions yet won't acknowledge these shareholders have loaded company debt in the name of water, took your taxes, ran away with the profits whilst asset stripping the companies to death.

If pensions are your primary concern, might you explain why you are happy for these private companies to maintain massive pension deficits?

As I previously said people with vested interests are affected. I'm sure the lesson here is to not invest money into sectors which rely heavily on public spending to make a profit. It's a disgrace my taxes go into a shareholders dividend.

Oh Mikey, get real!
Besides the points I made about paying below market rates for assets owned, do you really believe that the Government would run all these utilities more efficiently than they are run at present?
No, they are not perfect, but God help us if we turned the clock back. F--k me, if you think you have been subsidising these industries you wait until they were nationalised! If the utilities are deemed not to be working, make 'em work. The answer isn't nationalisation at a vast cost!
By the way, one of the reasons train fares have gone up is because the Government have wanted to reduce subsidies and those that use the trains have had to fork out more!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Have you got any sources to back that up?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here