Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panasonic DMR XS350EB + HDMI Cable?

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Morning all,

Hoping to pick a few brains re the above...

Ive purchased a Panasonic DMR XS350EB with Freesat and have moved singing and dancing into the current(ish) centuary I have a small gripe (a wife type gripe) in that the current time only displays in the display window when the machine is in standby mode. If anybody owns one do you anybody know if there is a way of displaying the time permanently rather than which particular freesat channel is being currently viewed?

Also having enjoyed the WCF last night with a brilliant/crystal clear picture (at last!) what, if any, is the real benefit of getting an HDMI lead - does the picture/sound improve beyond what all ready looks like pretty shit hot?

ttfn

Last edited:

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Well I have a similar model, a Panasonic DMR-EX98VEB, which is similar to yours but only has Freeview and not Freesat, although it does have a DVD recorder, VHS recorder and Hard Disk built in.

As far as displaying the time I know mine only shows it in standby and I don't think there is any way round that.

I would suggest you try using an HDMI lead. Normally these give a better picture/sound than a standard scart lead but it does depend somewhat on the quality of the TV. You can get an HDMI lead fairly cheaply, (don't buy one of the expensive 'gold plated' varieties), under a fiver at Argos I believe, and try it out. If you do make sure you unplug the scart lead when trying out the hdmi lead.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would suggest you try using an HDMI lead. Normally these give a better picture/sound than a standard scart lead but it does depend somewhat on the quality of the TV. You can get an HDMI lead fairly cheaply, (don't buy one of the expensive 'gold plated' varieties), under a fiver at Argos I believe, and try it out. If you do make sure you unplug the scart lead when trying out the hdmi lead.

Interesting, I had a cheap HDMI lead and the picture was like when an analouge channel is only partially tuned with lots of fuzz and hiss on the picture and sound. I got a gold plated lead and it fixed this problem. Of course, it is entirely possible (and probable) that I simply bought a broken lead.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Interesting, I had a cheap HDMI lead and the picture was like when an analouge channel is only partially tuned with lots of fuzz and hiss on the picture and sound. I got a gold plated lead and it fixed this problem. Of course, it is entirely possible (and probable) that I simply bought a broken lead.

Yes you could well be right. I was trying to save our friend from spending loads of dosh with no guarantee he would get his moneysworth.

Ideally I suppose the best solution might be to try and borrow a lead from someone so he could try it out first before commiting any dosh.

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Well I have a similar model, a Panasonic DMR-EX98VEB, which is similar to yours but only has Freeview and not Freesat, although it does have a DVD recorder, VHS recorder and Hard Disk built in.

As far as displaying the time I know mine only shows it in standby and I don't think there is any way round that.

Cheers Mileoakman ... that's cleared that up ...
Sorry to sound thick but does the HDMI replace the Scart on a permanent basis?

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Hmmmm... last I heard, AVforums attracts 2,000,000+ unique users a month.

I imagine NSC gets closer to 2000...

Perhaps it does but I always find NSC is the font of all knowledge ... and I've got a reply within an hour whilst of AV .......:shrug:

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair

Cheers Strings

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Yes you could well be right. I was trying to save our friend from spending loads of dosh with no guarantee he would get his moneysworth.

Ideally I suppose the best solution might be to try and borrow a lead from someone so he could try it out first before commiting any dosh.

And again ... I thank you

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Have you tried buying a clock to position on the wall over the TV thereby allowing your wife to see the time whilst watching tv :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Morning all,

Hoping to pick a few brains re the above...

Ive purchased a Panasonic DMR XS350EB with Freesat and have moved singing and dancing into the current(ish) centuary I have a small gripe (a wife type gripe) in that the current time only displays in the display window when the machine is in standby mode. If anybody owns one do you anybody know if there is a way of displaying the time permanently rather than which particular freesat channel is being currently viewed?

Also having enjoyed the WCF last night with a brilliant/crystal clear picture (at last!) what, if any, is the real benefit of getting an HDMI lead - does the picture/sound improve beyond what all ready looks like pretty shit hot?

ttfn

I just bought a Humax freesat hdr box, mainly so I can record Tour de France. It came with a bog standard HDMI lead and scart lead. Plugged the HDMI lead straight into the telly and I too was amazed by the quality of picture, at least compared to freeview on a scart. I'm a hi-fi fan and really don't have much time for tv. With hi-fi I've always bought dedicated interconnects ( cables ) as it really does make a difference to sound quality, and there's also so many to choose from to get the sound you like. With tv I certainly won't be upgrading to anything other than the bog standard leads that come out of the box as they're more than good enough for me.

I thought a HDMI cable had to be used to get full 1080p HD tv ? Watching a HD broadcast on a scart lead won't give you HD. I think that's right ? Seems if you have a HDMI input on your telly, use it.

How would you rate the Panasonic box btw ? I'm over the moon with the Humax. Funnily enough, my only gripe is exactly the same as yours - never displays the time, except in standby mode. Perhaps it's a freesat thing rather than the machines ?

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Apart from the time display Im very very pleased with it - very easy to use and the setup was a doddle. I imagine that they are all fairly much of a much ness these days. I did look at a Humax but wanted to retain the Viera function all the way through - I havent yet had the chance to investigate that yet. Cant wait for the season to start so that I can watch Saturday's condensed action on a Monday evening - instead of being stuck with all the crap from the "Lundon" games.

Happy Days!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Advice; never buy anything from panasonic, ever.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Advice; never buy anything from panasonic, ever.

Think thats a bit harsh. My Panasonic LCD links in nicely with my Panosonic DVD recorder and I get a cracking picture from both. Both are about 3 years old and I've never even had to change the remote batteries let alone have anything going wrong. Suppose its just whether your lucky or not. Having seen some of my friends Sony, JVC and Samsung sets I wouldn't swop with any of them, but as I say, its probably a personal choice.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
When I was growing up, it was something instilled to me by my parents, back in the days when it was Sony, Panasonic, or some dodgy brand with wires and sparks coming out of it, made in someones shed.

We had a Panasonic vacuum which broke twice, then the newer supposedly better model we were given as a replacement went BANG. And a panasonic VCR which chewed up everything, and a panasonic walkman which chewed up cassettes for fun. And a panasonic TV we managed to get a refund on, where the 'shadow' fault (arial connection) happened within a week.

Come to think of it, I'm amazed we kept buying that crap :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here